Andy Goram dies.

23 minutes ago, Al B said:

When he rocked up to Fir Park I think most Motherwell fans expected him to be pretty much past it and a shadow of the keeper he was in his prime. Whilst he was past his peak, it became clear pretty quickly (despite some claiming otherwise) that he still had it, and some of the things he pulled off were incredible. Also gave us the "never seen before or again" moment where prime Manchester United came asking if they could borrow a Motherwell player.

Huge loss in the legacy of Scottish football.

The save here (at 6:40) is still one of the best I've ever seen - from anyone, not just a Motherwell keeper. He definitely was past his best and let in more than the odd soft one for us but when on it he was still outstanding.

Only caught the tail end of his career but he and his replacement Stefano Klos are still the two best goalkeepers I've ever witnessed in Scottish football. 

Maybe the second-best Scottish player I've seen. After Kenny Dalglish.

I never met the man. I know folk who were occasionally in his presence for a beer or a game of pool or darts, decades ago. They all said he was a well-mannered gentleman. 

Some messageboards today will be reminiscent of the "Not The Nine O'Clock News" sketch, in which one half of a pair of politicians drops dead as they rant at each other across an interviewer, but that's human nature.

Absolute legend of a goalkeeper and a great sense of humour. Remember one match against the pars at EEP when Goram (not unsurprisingly) didn't have much to do. We were all giving him dogs abuse calling him a fat b*****d when a stephens steak bridie package flew across the goal. Goram picked it up, opened it up and saw it was empty. Cue Goram then throwing it away in mock disgust. 

Watching Sky Sports News at the moment. Craig Brown talking about Euro 96 and how great a goalkeeper he was especially against the Netherlands and Switzerland. Was at both games and can remember against the Dutch we managed to scrape a nil nil draw despite being hammered all game. The reason for that result was the brilliant display by Goram.

Sadly missed. RIP The Goalie. 

October 1985 Lorne Hotel Sauchiehall St in Glasgow meeting a mate for a late night drink.

Remember Scotland had been playing but had not taken much interest.

Vaguely remember something about an English born Scot being called up in goal.

Anyway there was a chap sitting next to us in the bar and we got chatting.

Man had a real thick Lancashire accent and told his son had made his debut that night for Scotland.

Just a nice humble bloke that was proud of his son.

Roll on to about 5 years ago, same hotel bar.

Me and the same mate.

Turns around and there's Andy Goram on his own.

Thought that's a bit spooky.

Ended up buying him a drink and telling him the story of meeting his dad in the very same lounge back in 1985.

Btw, his dad was long dead by that point.

Great goalie although he admitted the ladies had run rings round him financially off the park.

58, no age at all

RIP.

Edited by Glenconner

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The best goalkeeper I've seen in my 40 years of watching Scottish football.

Ditto. He made an amazing save from a Ricky Gillies effort at Love St in a cup-tie v Motherwell, one of the best I'd ever seen at the old ground.

His display at Elland Rd in the CL qualifier was the greatest display of goalkeeping I've ever seen.

RIP

A tremendous keeper during his peak, (89-97?). Personal memory would be his ridiculously good display in February 1993 at Pittodrie which allowed RFC to escape with a 1-0 win and pretty much end the title race that year.

RIP.

He embodied everything you want from a goalkeeper and was capable of a world class save that was the difference between a win and a draw in many games. I remember a great save when we were 2-1 against rangers at love st. Torfason hit an absolute belter of a free kick. I was sure it was in, but somehow he kept it out and the game finished with that scoreline.

Said this earlier on twitter;

Andy Goram may be most closely associated with Rangers but I can mind being excited when he joined us, he wasn't at his peak but I thought he still had enough even then. Even loaned him to Man U who were decent at the time! Sad he's passed so young.

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Absolutely the best Scottish keeper ever and arguably better than Shilton & Clemence.

Who can forget "Two Andy Gorams" though? 

Not much of an argument for me. Goram was far better. Shilton especially is not fit to "smell his glove"

Just watched a compilation of his saves on youtube. Impressive enough but lacking context. Those of us old enough will remember him single-handedly breaking teams (Aberdeen & Celtic being great examples) by saving everything thrown at him, very often under the most severe pressure imaginable. One of the greatest goalies.