The Queen of the South thread

I think the suggestion that managers in particular are inarticulate fools is especially nonsense these days. Managers are required to have passed assessments and coaching badges and have to impress Directors, deal with media, agents, contracts, etc. On the contrary most managers are very bright and articulate. Though there is always the exception to prove the rule.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I think the suggestion that managers in particular are inarticulate fools is especially nonsense these days. Managers are required to have passed assessments and coaching badges and have to impress Directors, deal with media, agents, contracts, etc. On the contrary most managers are very bright and articulate. Though there is always the exception to prove the rule.

Except Brannigan. He was totally thick

Record crowd was 26500 actually.

Correct. It was re-assessed at that larger figure relatively recently I believe.

It is hard to believe they crammed in almost five times as many as made it in today. It must have been bloody dangerous in all honesty.

I kind of find the 17,000 figure against Rangers in 1975 more remarkable though. It belongs to a more modern era, for some of us, and was in a ground many can remember and which wasn't vastly different - cowshed apart - from the one we know today. It just seems inconceivable.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Correct. It was re-assessed at that larger figure relatively recently I believe.

It is hard to believe they crammed in almost five times as many as made it in today. It must have been bloody dangerous in all honesty.

I kind of find the 17,000 figure against Rangers in 1975 more remarkable though. It belongs to a more modern era, for some of us, and was in a ground many can remember and which wasn't vastly different - cowshed apart - from the one we know today. It just seems inconceivable.

The rangers SC game was Mar 76 and was given as around 18,700. Queens did play rangers in 1975 but the crowd was a more modest figure on a pissing wet night in the LC. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

The rangers SC game was Mar 76 and was given as around 18,700. Queens did play rangers in 1975 but the crowd was a more modest figure on a pissing wet night in the LC.

My mistake.

It makes it even more remarkable then, that the gate was slightly bigger and the game was slightly more recent than I'd appreciated.

Are we getting so many players out with injury because we train on a 3G pitch.

Yet to hear a player say that they enjoy playing or training on a 3G pitch.

The recover time from injury is longer as well.

Always remember Sean O,Conner who missed a game when it was on a plastic pitch.

Sean had the injury long before plastic pitches though. I think the plastic made it worse or didn't agree with his knee. That was before the plastic pitches were at such a high standard as well.

I'm not buying that plastic pitches are the cause. If they are then I worry about some footballers careers as plastic is the future whether you like them or not. I can't imagine many top teams don't at least train on them a couple of times a week.

I'm really ignorant on how they cause injury though. Surely a lumpy grass pitch is more likely to cause an injury? How can a flat surface do so much damage? Genuine question, not a sarky remark.

Right the re opening of the Terregles Street end is quite rightly being welcomed and it looked good yesterday full of visiting fans but what about opening it up as a thank you to Queens fans for say the final home game of the season?

I appreciate theres probably a cost to doing so but it would give some the chance to watch a game from there for the first time and for others a chance to stand there again. Last game is against Dumbarton so not exactly a security risk even if the visiting Sons fans got in too. Would allow us to use it and not just the 'big 3'.

What a difference there is in the respective eras of the 70/80s and today . A visit back then by Hearts would be seen with dread by police and shop owners alike. Now these fixtures go on without major incident and that's by far the better option of the two. I remember the strict segregation of fans when arriving over Buccleugh Street Bridge in early 83 and the massive scrap between Hearts fans themselves during the game .

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG