The Queen of the South thread

Just took a job with some youth development project ... thank god.

Dont do things like that :P

Wasn't trying to give anyone palpitations, I was just trying to think of experienced people James had worked with/for/under.

How about Mixu, Jim Jefferies, Jimmy C, Bobby Williamson, Billy Brown or even Ian Durrant who might be looking for a new challenge ;)

I know there are a few scary ones in there.

I'd come to the belief that it maybe wouldn't be Fowler, given the delay.

It's probably a sane enough, if fairly unexciting appointment though.

But then again, Gus seemed quite an exciting appointment, whereas Johnston didn't, so let's see.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Just listened to the podcast on the os.

Must say Fowler sound pretty articulate and intelligent. May take a bit of time but I think he'll do well.

Also fully agree with Billy Hewitsons reasons for the eventual appointment!

You sound surprised. Why should he not be articulate and intelligent just because he is a football Manager/player.

And you base this statement on ...?

A quite staggering volume of evidence I'd imagine, ranging over thousands of interviews seen and many ghosted autobiographies read.

Let's be honest, most of us would much rather have the ability to play professional football than the ability to string words together effectively. It's also true however that finding both together, is relatively rare.

You sound surprised. Why should he not be articulate and intelligent just because he is a football Manager/player.

As others have said the evidence is so overwhelming that it's not really worthy of discussion.

Are you, or are you related to an intellectually challenged footballer perchance? ;)

Considering the vast majority left school at 16 and the few things that they were passionate about was football. it tends to lead to footballers being less intellectual. Just follow a one on Twitter you'll see that they can barely type without putting in 3 emojis.

That and every interview going along the lines of 'you know... umm... at the end of the day... the lads done well" it's pretty obvious that they aren't too bright.

Following on from the exciting discovery that The Sun is a complete rag, we have now confirmed that footballers are a bit fick.

I wonder what the next groundbreaking discovery will be? I'm going to go with "is water wet?".

Gus McPherson wasn't a very good manager for Queen of the South. Discuss.

Let's be honest, most of us would much rather have the ability to play professional football than the ability to string words together effectively.

Really? Can't say I've ever lamented the fact that I was crap at football. Doubt I would have traded so much as a single IQ point, let alone sacrifice verbal dexterity, for the ability to kick a ball more proficiently.

Edited by Frankie S

Quite pleased with the fowler appointment, considering the names being linked to the job. As far as I'm aware, Reid and Butcher were interviewed so Fowler must have at least made an impression. Out of the other two, Reid would have been my choice, but Fowler was the man I wanted.

Hopefully with a few players coming back from injury, he can concentrate on managing from the touchline.

An experienced assistant is a must, I would hate to think they'll take the easy option of JT.

I don't know but maybe some of the others priced themselves out of the job. I'd have thought Reid and Butcher would have wanted a lot higher wages than McIntyre was on

I think you could be right there and the board could have saved a pretty penny by giving Fowler the job.

Really? Can't say I've ever lamented the fact that I was crap at football. Doubt I would have traded so much as a single IQ point, let alone sacrifice verbal dexterity, for the ability to kick a ball more proficiently.

That's why I said "most of us" as opposed to "all of us".

Personally, I'd have given almost anything to play football at even a Queens type level.

Of course, had any alternative gifts been such as to take me further, I'd maybe see things differently.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Really pleased Fowler is the manager (nosurprise), hope the fans and the players both get fully behind the boards decision sure they will.

Heard the new gaffer speak on the radio tonight and he seems very much up for the challenge, maybe a couple of changes in the team from last weekend and still on the look out for the right No2, glad he is not rushing into this as the appointment will be very important one for him.

Great game to start league leaders at home to what will be one if the highest attended league games at Palmerston for a few years, Hearts allocation to be a sell out.

Considering the vast majority left school at 16 and the few things that they were passionate about was football. it tends to lead to footballers being less intellectual. Just follow a one on Twitter you'll see that they can barely type without putting in 3 emojis.

That and every interview going along the lines of 'you know... umm... at the end of the day... the lads done well" it's pretty obvious that they aren't too bright.

There are many Managers and players who manage to hold down well paid professional jobs outside football, accountants, lawyers, teachers, etc. And some, who after their career as a full time footballer is finished, also go on to such jobs. The image that all footballers are uneducated imbeciles is an unfair generalisation. If your point of reference is Twitter I'm sure there are many footballers, like other professions, who don't appear to show much intelligence, just as I am sure that there are some who can be articulate.