The Queen of the South thread

Antell - terrible

Dowie - all right, but not better than Durnan, but went straight into the team. After the Durnan/Higgins combo was finally picked and did well, Dowie was then suddenly preferred to Higgins. Anyway, Dowie was signed when what we really needed was a keeper. So, wrong decision to sign him and wrong decision to play him in preference to either Durnan or Higgins.

Kev D - can hit decent 30-40 yard passes. But, then, so can any footballer when there is nobody near them (bar Jim Thomson). Not good enough.

Clark - not great, but looks good compared to what we became used to. Wouldn't have been needed if we'd signed a decent keeper 4 months earlier.

McShane (given an extended contract by McIntyre) - not good enough.

Of all the signings, I'd say only Dowie is good enough for this level and he wasn't needed.

Don`t agree Dowie wasn`t needed or at least another central defender for this level. We needed a 3rd unless you are seriously suggesting McGuffie is up to the job at "championship" level. It`s another argument altogether as to whether he should play ahead of Higgins or Durnan. My view is that Durnan should be 1st pick but not that fussed between Higgins and Dowie.

Don`t agree Dowie wasn`t needed or at least another central defender for this level. We needed a 3rd unless you are seriously suggesting McGuffie is up to the job at "championship" level. It`s another argument altogether as to whether he should play ahead of Higgins or Durnan. My view is that Durnan should be 1st pick but not that fussed between Higgins and Dowie.

We needed a third, but what I meant was it was more important to get a decent keeper and we could have had a young player as cover, as opposed to getting a decent centre back and a young player as a keeper.

We needed a third, but what I meant was it was more important to get a decent keeper and we could have had a young player as cover, as opposed to getting a decent centre back and a young player as a keeper.

Fair enough I see your point. Getting Dowie shouldn`t have been a barrier to getting a decent keeper in addition mind you. Don`t see why it had to be one or the other though I`d accept a decent keeper should have been number one priority.

Fair enough I see your point. Getting Dowie shouldn`t have been a barrier to getting a decent keeper in addition mind you. Don`t see why it had to be one or the other though I`d accept a decent keeper should have been number one priority.

I could be wrong, but we lost a young centre back (Black? - can't remember now) and Robinson. So we maybe had a budget for Robinson's wages plus a young player. It could be that McIntyre decided to spend Robinson's budget on Dowie and the young player's budget on Antell, but this is pure speculation on my part.

Good news but still a few missing, Higgins, Carmichael and Reilly spring to mind, all been benched recently.

Paton too, maybe a change of scene is what Danny needs as he seems to be in a rut here. However good to get some keys players committed for next year at least.

See what happens when you get the team down to Dumfries to train - players re-sign.

Good news you have to start somewhere and other players will be looking at options. Now if a bid is made for any of these players we may get a bob or two

Edited by queenslad

Russell re-signing is interesting (as well as excellent). If I felt I was being played out of position constantly then I certainly wouldn't be staying put. So for all some folk would like to see him up front (myself included), at least Russell is happy enough at the club. I would far rather he was played out of position than not in our team at all! Great news anyway :D