The Queen of the South thread

7 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Evening all - some pals and I are doing a hospitality day for Saturday's game against Peterhead and we're all excited for the day out. We're getting the train down in the morning and, having only been to Palmerston once before for a pre-season friendly between Queens and Killie, I'm looking for any recommendations for pubs before and after hospitality starts/ends. Every year we have a random draw at Christmas to decide where we're going, with the aim to cross off as many grounds as we can over the next few decades (provided we all live long enough for that, of course) so I'm hoping that it's a good game with a Queens win to boot!

...it's worth saying that last year we went to Cowdenbeath v Stirling Albion and it was without a doubt the singular worst game of football I've ever been to. We're not a hard bunch to please, so I have no doubt it'll be more fun this year.

Leaving the train station heading into the Town Centre there's plenty of pubs en-route to Palmerston. The Waverley is right across from the top of the station, head up English St, pass the Cairndale (don't stop there), there's Dickies Bar in English St, then the Imperial in Queensberry St, (sports bar but no team colours allowed), the Hole I' the Wa' in High St,  Robert The Bruce (Weatherspoons) at the top of Buccleuch St., Cavens Arms (good food and real ale, no kids allowed ) further down Buccleuch St, then across the bridge on the way to Palmy there's The Spread Eagle, The Globe and The Salutation in Market Square, about 10 minute max walk from the ground. Bound to be something in that lot that fits the bill. Enjoy your day out. 

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Leaving the train station heading into the Town Centre there's plenty of pubs en-route to Palmerston. The Waverley is right across from the top of the station, head up English St, pass the Cairndale (don't stop there), there's Dickies Bar in English St, then the Imperial in Queensberry St, (sports bar but no team colours allowed), the Hole I' the Wa' in High St,  Robert The Bruce (Weatherspoons) at the top of Buccleuch St., Cavens Arms (good food and real ale, no kids allowed ) further down Buccleuch St, then across the bridge on the way to Palmy there's The Spread Eagle, The Globe and The Salutation in Market Square, about 10 minute max walk from the ground. Bound to be something in that lot that fits the bill. Enjoy your day out. 

Thanks very much for the recommendations - I'll put them to the guys and see what they fancy!

https://youtu.be/MrQMAVzdeMM

Nice wee segment here. The audio isn't great, sounds like MB was on a car phone but it's great to see something like produced and if it becomes regular -(hopefully!) I'm sure the team will improve the sound as the production is usually brilliant :)

Great to here Kabia is back training. Too early to say if he's good or not but the more bodies the better for the final push. 

On 29/03/2023 at 17:43, Skyline Drifter said:

They are going to "announce" our top five strikers ever? I'll look forward to it.

Isn't there a village somewhere you are depriving of an idiot?

No, silly. The announcement will be that he’s  off to Ayr, do keep up. 

After his performance today id now say he’s top 4 of our all time strikers I had Lyndon ahead of him but he’s now slipped to fifth place after Patons performances. 

On 29/03/2023 at 22:07, Andy_K_97 said:

Thanks very much for the recommendations - I'll put them to the guys and see what they fancy!

What was your "match day experience" like? Hope you had a good day out in the Gem of the South. 

42 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

What was your "match day experience" like? Hope you had a good day out in the Gem of the South. 

Very good - staff were great, meal was what you'd expect but with generous portions and the game was infinitely better than last year's snoozefest between Cowdenbeath and Stirling Albion. Plenty of booze into the mix and it was a smashing day, although the only other pub we went into was the Waverley for a pint before hospitality opened. I'll have to come back another time to cross a few more off my list.

Was also good to shout for Iain Wilson too, as a former Killie player who was very well-liked at RP it was good to see him stroll the game. I think he appreciated our songs throughout the game too, even if he seemed a bit confused about it until we met him in the lounge.

4 hours ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Was also good to shout for Iain Wilson too, as a former Killie player who was very well-liked at RP it was good to see him stroll the game. I think he appreciated our songs throughout the game too, even if he seemed a bit confused about it until we met him in the lounge.

Was that you lot at the front of hospitality in the main stand?  That looks like quite a fun way of having a random day out.  Did Feargal Sharkey enjoy himself?

Your man Wilson did have another good game.  With his inelegant gait and black boots, I always think he looks like he forgot his kit and is having to play in his school shoes.  He makes a big difference for us though, and is a very important player.  Yesterday, he was the only one really trying to vary the passing when we were getting bogged down.

4 hours ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Was also good to shout for Iain Wilson too, as a former Killie player who was very well-liked at RP it was good to see him stroll the game.

Yeah, when he's fit Wilson is always a definite pick for the starting XI - his only problem is staying fit for an extended run of games.  Shame his injuries hold him back or he'd be playing at a higher level than us.

7 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Was that you lot at the front of hospitality in the main stand?  That looks like quite a fun way of having a random day out.  Did Feargal Sharkey enjoy himself?

Your man Wilson did have another good game.  With his inelegant gait and black boots, I always think he looks like he forgot his kit and is having to play in his school shoes.  He makes a big difference for us though, and is a very important player.  Yesterday, he was the only one really trying to vary the passing when we were getting bogged down.

Yes indeed - that was us singing and trying to get the rest of the main stand going with the songs without much success. Everyone had a class day minus the efforts of a dobber train conductor in the evening who did his best to try and spoil a good day. Palmerston is a great classic ground and I'll definitely be back for a regular game at some point to stand on the terrace. I don't know where we'll go next year, but I'd happily come back again.

Edited by Andy_K_97
Rage towards a dobber train conductor

Well Bartley gets MOTM it's official. Saturday's game was an eye sore but we won. He has to be congratulated in that. He has found a system that is winning us games and stuck to it. Good to see big Wilson up and running again and dictating games hopefully he can stay fit till end of season. Maybe he has been giving Gibbo the break he needed to unleash him for last 5 games as for me he plays over McKechnie and he can be brought on as an impact sub. What are people's thoughts on Bartley possibly offering some of these players contracts for next year as we have not been happy with them all season. 

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Apologies for being too lazy to go through the thread, but how's big Kevin getting on? 

His shot stopping is fantastic. Kicking is a weakness, highlighted by the fact he always try’s to throw the ball to avoid it. The potential is there to see though, can definitely play at a higher level. Also an absolute hero of a guy compared to our last keeper.

3 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

Well Bartley gets MOTM it's official. Saturday's game was an eye sore but we won. He has to be congratulated in that. He has found a system that is winning us games and stuck to it. Good to see big Wilson up and running again and dictating games hopefully he can stay fit till end of season. Maybe he has been giving Gibbo the break he needed to unleash him for last 5 games as for me he plays over McKechnie and he can be brought on as an impact sub. What are people's thoughts on Bartley possibly offering some of these players contracts for next year as we have not been happy with them all season. 

If it was up to me. Dabrowski, East, McKechnie, Cochrane, Connelly all get new deals.

Still unsure on Hendrie, Todd and Logan.

Would also offer Paton a new deal but he will obviously be away.

I do think we need to stop having summers of changing the complete squad. I wouldn’t want us to bin off the whole squad and start from scratch, try and maintain a solid foundation with our keeper and centre midfielders, and look for centre halfs and a few strikers in the summer.