The Queen of the South thread

9 hours ago, Dudleyghu said:

Looks like Paton signed a pre contract today. Will be very hard to replace! Think we’ll all be in agreement though that he’s in the top 5 best strikers we’ve had. 

Was always going to happen the way they been horing him about on social platforms. 

34 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Was always going to happen the way they been horing him about on social platforms. 

I don't doubt Paton will be gone but I wouldn't listen to a word that one says. 

10 hours ago, Dudleyghu said:

Looks like Paton signed a pre contract today. Will be very hard to replace! Think we’ll all be in agreement though that he’s in the top 5 best strikers we’ve had. 

Who's your source?  Austin McPhee?

13 hours ago, Dudleyghu said:

He's good but really doubt he'd make the top 5 of all time Queens strikers. Of course players don't stick around as long they used to which kind of makes it harder to judge such a thing. Goals per minutes played obviously gives a truer picture but I'm not going to try and work that out. Dobbie (obviously), Jim Patterson, and the likes of  Andy Thomson, Tommy Bryce, Peter Reid, Peter Dickson, Gavin Reilly (1st spell) Nicky Clark are just a few of the ones I can think of off the top of my head that would be ahead of Paton in all time great Queens strikers. I've probably missed out some glaring names as well. 

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

He's good but really doubt he'd make the top 5 of all time Queens strikers. Of course players don't stick around as long they used to which kind of makes it harder to judge such a thing. Goals per minutes played obviously gives a truer picture but I'm not going to try and work that out. Dobbie (obviously), Jim Patterson, and the likes of  Andy Thomson, Tommy Bryce, Peter Reid, Peter Dickson, Gavin Reilly (1st spell) Nicky Clark are just a few of the ones I can think of off the top of my head that would be ahead of Paton in all time great Queens strikers. I've probably missed out some glaring names as well. 

0C08CA1A-41F6-478E-B890-D08CC4BDE708.thumb.jpeg.0289cc0045b5e75916c15c4ad1e9b8e8.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I think Ruari is definitely a better striker than Peter Reid ever was, even if the latter had ever played for Queens!  Not that I ever saw him, but I suspect Ian Reid was a better striker than Paton though 🤣

For what it's worth, based on Queens players I've seen who haven't already been named I'd say Rowan Alexander, Connor Shields, Stevie Mallan and even Peter Weatherson were all as good as if not better than Paton, but none of those would be near my top 5.

Looking further back I doubt Paton could lace the likes of Neil Martin, Jimmy Rutherford or Hughie Gallacher's boots.

Bear in mind who brought this topic up though, he's clearly on the wind-up again.

Edited by Slipmat
Boots not laces

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Who is Peter Reid?

50 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

For what it's worth, based on Queens players I've seen who haven't already been named I'd say Rowan Alexander, Connor Shields, Stevie Mallan and even Peter Weatherson were all as good as if not better than Paton, but none of those would be near my top 5.

Bear in mind who brought this topic up though, he's clearly on the wind-up again.

Nobody mentioned Billy Houliston yet? The only striker to actually get a Scotland cap with us. I'm not sure, much as I liked him, that Connor Shields whose run of unplayable form fundamentally lasted about 6 - 8 weeks would be anywhere near a list of our top strikers ever mind you. Similarly Ruari Paton. Good player, I'd love him to stay at least another year, top 5 ever? Not a chance. Top 10? No. Top 20? Probably not.

Given who brought the point up though no idea why anyone's taking it seriously.

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

I think Ruari is definitely a better striker than Peter Reid ever was, even if the latter had ever played for Queens!  Not that I ever saw him, but I suspect Ian Reid was a better striker than Paton though 🤣

It was a complete brain fart on my part. Going through a list in my head and got ahead of myself typing. A good lesson in the need for proof reading before submitting. 

54 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Who is Peter Reid?

Nobody mentioned Billy Houliston yet? The only striker to actually get a Scotland cap with us. I'm not sure, much as I liked him, that Connor Shields whose run of unplayable form fundamentally lasted about 6 - 8 weeks would be anywhere near a list of our top strikers ever mind you. Similarly Ruari Paton. Good player, I'd love him to stay at least another year, top 5 ever? Not a chance. Top 10? No. Top 20? Probably not.

See above post response.

Who is Peter Reid? He's the third brother in the Proclaimers who's not talked about, he performs from behind a curtain cos he's even uglier than the other two. 

Anyway point proved that there is a long list of strikers/ forwards ahead of Paton on the list. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Who is Peter Reid?

Connor shields would be well ahead of Paton though. What a threat he was when finally played in his correct position

17 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

With who?? 

Ayr United

7 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Who's your source?  Austin McPhee?

An ex Ayr player who’s currently at another championship club

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Who is Peter Reid?

We’ll see when it’s announce and your pants will be firmly pulled down.
Time you bought yourself new aftershave btw, smells cheap. 

Yeah, Ian Reid was a really classy footballer, so clever on and off the ball - a cut above where Paton is now tbf.

Connor Shields - more clinical, more powerful and more direct than Paton.

Billy Houliston - way before even my time, gave me my first part-time job.  Big strong fella, would've taken a big brave defender to stand in his way.

Peter Dickson - lightning quick and could finish.  Only recall a couple of seasons with us though.

More a winger than a striker, but my hero when I started going to games was John Dempster - on his day tortured any defence, and what a right peg, when he hit the ball it stayed hit!

Nice to digress, eh?

2 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Connor shields would be well ahead of Paton though. What a threat he was when finally played in his correct position

I'm not sure I'd be so quick to conclude that. He's very fondly remembered for a short burst of form. He scored 11 goals for us in 27 starts (Paton to date has 27 in 69 starts). Their goal ratio is almost identical and Paton's done so over more than twice as many games. Shields played a chunk of his games wide to be fair but then Paton played almost all of last season wide and even occasionally at wing back too, his goal every second game when playing up front this season is considerably better. Paton's goals have largely come at a lower level but he has scored relatively consistently. Shields got a couple of goals early season in the league cup group but 7 of his other 9 came in a one month burst of form across 5 games. He then got injured and missed a month. When he returned his only goals for us in 8 / 9 games were the double at Hearts. He managed 3 goals in over 40 appearances for Motherwell and whilst he has got 4 in 8 for Queen's Park since joining on loan, they were all in his first four games and he's gone 4 without scoring.

They are very different players with Shields game all about pace and power and Paton's more about tenacity and being in the right place at the right time.

It's a moot point though. Neither would be anywhere near our top five ever. In fact neither would be in our top five of the last decade (Dobbie, Lyle, Dykes, Clark and Reilly would all be ahead of them, maybe even Russell though he didn't often play as a striker).

Edited by Skyline Drifter

58 minutes ago, Dudleyghu said:

We’ll see when it’s announce and your pants will be firmly pulled down.

Time you bought yourself new aftershave btw, smells cheap. 

They are going to "announce" our top five strikers ever? I'll look forward to it.

Isn't there a village somewhere you are depriving of an idiot?

Evening all - some pals and I are doing a hospitality day for Saturday's game against Peterhead and we're all excited for the day out. We're getting the train down in the morning and, having only been to Palmerston once before for a pre-season friendly between Queens and Killie, I'm looking for any recommendations for pubs before and after hospitality starts/ends. Every year we have a random draw at Christmas to decide where we're going, with the aim to cross off as many grounds as we can over the next few decades (provided we all live long enough for that, of course) so I'm hoping that it's a good game with a Queens win to boot!

...it's worth saying that last year we went to Cowdenbeath v Stirling Albion and it was without a doubt the singular worst game of football I've ever been to. We're not a hard bunch to please, so I have no doubt it'll be more fun this year.