The Queen of the South thread

46 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Aye he might have scored it.

That said he was really poor again I thought and was lucky to stay on as long as he did.

Reillys been a complete let down full stop. I'd seriously be tempted to get shot if I was the manger. He just struts about like he couldn't give a f  

I was thinking of a midfield hard man as well in the mould of our manager.  But in today's game do you actually get them. I am all for the 433 formation.  Was not at the game today so anyone please give me a run down of how all players played. Who should we keep who should stay it is time to be brutal.

Just now, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Anyone. Or not replace him. Same result. 

Be pretty daft releasing a striker when we have very options as it is tbh. He hasn't been great this term (add him to the list) but I'd still rather he was on our books than some of the other options we have. 

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

And replace him with? 

Really thought Reilly would lead the linei be top goalscorers stand out from the rest but he has done nothing .

Hopefully Bartley can get more out of him as he can and should be a  decent player for us.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Be pretty daft releasing a striker when we have very options as it is tbh. He hasn't been great this term (add him to the list) but I'd still rather he was on our books than some of the other options we have. 

I can't see us releasing him as signed a two year deal. But think he's been as empty a jersey as others. 

I'd like to see Paton and Connelly as our front two. Don't imagine Reilly would be happy to be sub.

3 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

I was thinking of a midfield hard man as well in the mould of our manager.  But in today's game do you actually get them. I am all for the 433 formation.  Was not at the game today so anyone please give me a run down of how all players played. Who should we keep who should stay it is time to be brutal.

Dubrawski  -  Impressive and commanding.  Next to no chance with the goal but did at least get a hand to it  (8)

McKenna  -  his usual out of focus, out of position display.  Close to scoring in the first half but otherwise a liability.  Majority of blame for the goal falls on his shoulders imo.  (3)

Brydon  -  rescued us a couple of times with hooked clearances, probably our best defender but not a high bar.  A bit ponderous at times  (6)

McKay  -  no bombscare moments but still unconvincing  (5)

Hendrie  -  guilty of more of the rash challenges which are becoming more frequent in his game.  Often caught out of position and needed other players to dig him out of a hole.  (3)

McKechnie  -  drifted in and out of the game.  Had one great run but seemed to panic when it came to shooting and blasted the ball into orbit (5)

McGrory  -  sat too deep for my liking.  Picked out a few decent passes but seemed to have his work cut out covering our defenders.  (6)

Todd  -  played well first half with some forceful runs.  Disappeared in the second before "that" penalty miss.  (6)

Gibson  -   anonymous, no surprise to see him hooked.  Offered very little defensively and mistakes exposed an already fragile defence at times.  One moment of magic with a fantastic turn on the ball before falling over.  (4)

Paton  -  deployed far too deep, seemed to spend as much time in our own half as in Montrose's.  Lots of energy and tried to make things happen but seemed caught between two roles  (6)

Reilly  -  wasn't in the game bar one headed chance where he was comfortably outmuscled by Sinclair.  Looked isolated but lacking the interest to make himself more available  (4)

Subs:

Cochrane  -  decent 20 minutes after his spell out if we forget about the shot he had which is probably currently heading upwards over Norway  (5)

Ruth  -  gave a much needed attacking dimension to our game.  Tried hard but was comfortably handled by the Mo defence.  (6)

Irving  -  still not convinced he is up to this level  (4)

18 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

And replace him with? 

He should be one of the stand outs but instead has been completely anonymous. If he's taking up a place and there's another option available to come in then we should look to get rid. He certainly needs to step up. Been my biggest disappointment from this squad. Thought at this level he's be bossing it. 

41 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Dubrawski  -  Impressive and commanding.  Next to no chance with the goal but did at least get a hand to it  (8)

McKenna  -  his usual out of focus, out of position display.  Close to scoring in the first half but otherwise a liability.  Majority of blame for the goal falls on his shoulders imo.  (3)

Brydon  -  rescued us a couple of times with hooked clearances, probably our best defender but not a high bar.  A bit ponderous at times  (6)

McKay  -  no bombscare moments but still unconvincing  (5)

Hendrie  -  guilty of more of the rash challenges which are becoming more frequent in his game.  Often caught out of position and needed other players to dig him out of a hole.  (3)

McKechnie  -  drifted in and out of the game.  Had one great run but seemed to panic when it came to shooting and blasted the ball into orbit (5)

McGrory  -  sat too deep for my liking.  Picked out a few decent passes but seemed to have his work cut out covering our defenders.  (6)

Todd  -  played well first half with some forceful runs.  Disappeared in the second before "that" penalty miss.  (6)

Gibson  -   anonymous, no surprise to see him hooked.  Offered very little defensively and mistakes exposed an already fragile defence at times.  One moment of magic with a fantastic turn on the ball before falling over.  (4)

Paton  -  deployed far too deep, seemed to spend as much time in our own half as in Montrose's.  Lots of energy and tried to make things happen but seemed caught between two roles  (6)

Reilly  -  wasn't in the game bar one headed chance where he was comfortably outmuscled by Sinclair.  Looked isolated but lacking the interest to make himself more available  (4)

Subs:

Cochrane  -  decent 20 minutes after his spell out if we forget about the shot he had which is probably currently heading upwards over Norway  (5)

Ruth  -  gave a much needed attacking dimension to our game.  Tried hard but was comfortably handled by the Mo defence.  (6)

Irving  -  still not convinced he is up to this level  (4)

Hendrie has been disappointing since signing.

I remember thinking Quitongo looked ok enough first few outings, particularly away to Ayr in the 3-0 cup win.

Not sure he deserved to be dropped for Hendrie. Nor has Hendrie done anything to retain that spot. 

5 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Hendrie has been disappointing since signing.

I remember thinking Quitongo looked ok enough first few outings, particularly away to Ayr in the 3-0 cup win.

Not sure he deserved to be dropped for Hendrie. Nor has Hendrie done anything to retain that spot. 

Hendrie had a good first few games for us and I thought we had a player. Been disappointing in pretty much every game since, seems to be getting worse as the season goes on. I’d question his commitment as he’s not done a pre season in the last few years for any of his clubs.

Quintongo is definitely not the answer either, he’s not got a clue positionally and isn’t exactly great with the ball, all he has his is pace.

Edited by QoS99

So my thinking before the ratings was we need to replace McKenna, Hendrie and McKay. 

So let's get East beside Brydon bring Quitongo in and sign a right back or play Muir. I have always thought McKechnie was not a starting 11 player. Wilson is a must starter when fit. But McGrory has good delivery. Todd has that forward run in his game but has underperformed this season. I think young Gibson needs a few games out of starting 11. Paton and Connelly have to play in our front 3. Bartley knew he had a tough gig on his hands and today would just show it as it is.

3 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Hendrie had a good first few games for us and I thought we had a player. Been disappointing in pretty much every game since, seems to be getting worse as the season goes on. I’d question his commitment as he’s not done a pre season in the last few years for any of his clubs.

Quintongo is definitely not the answer either, he’s not got a clue positionally and isn’t exactly great with the ball, all he has his is pace.

Oh absolutely not suggesting Quitongo is the answer. Merely that he seemed to do ok, was dropped and am not sure that Hendrie is much better. Hendrie has certainly not lived up to expectations. 

3 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Shame Reilly was off before got penalty. 

There's not a chance Reilly was on penalties whether he was on the pitch or not so that's irrelevant.

4 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

Big 2 weeks to reshape squad. Why did Paton not take penalty?

2 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

What was Todd thinking about, Paton takes them, has a decent record and is on form.

Paton was taken off penalties earlier in the season after missing 2 of the 3 he's taken. He scored on Tuesday night right enough but the idea he's some sort of penalty expert is fanciful. I think prior to Tuesday he hit every single one bottom left corner.

Connor Murray got the job and scored against Edinburgh and CLyde before missing at Edinburgh. I assume he's probably still our designated taker when he's playing.

Lee Connelly took and scored one at Alloa but his kick on Tuesday night was every bit as bad as Todd's today.

To be fair, Todd scored in both our penalty shoot outs this season with consummate ease and, with the exception probably of Calvin McGrory who has also done so when taking the 5th both times, there's nobody I'd rather have hit the one today. He's the captain, he took on the responsibility, He got it badly wrong unfortunately. It happens to them all at some point or another. Even John O'Neill missed a couple. He was gutted afterward.

21 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There's not a chance Reilly was on penalties whether he was on the pitch or not so that's irrelevant.

Paton was taken off penalties earlier in the season after missing 2 of the 3 he's taken. He scored on Tuesday night right enough but the idea he's some sort of penalty expert is fanciful. I think prior to Tuesday he hit every single one bottom left corner.

Connor Murray got the job and scored against Edinburgh and CLyde before missing at Edinburgh. I assume he's probably still our designated taker when he's playing.

Lee Connelly took and scored one at Alloa but his kick on Tuesday night was every bit as bad as Todd's today.

To be fair, Todd scored in both our penalty shoot outs this season with consummate ease and, with the exception probably of Calvin McGrory who has also done so when taking the 5th both times, there's nobody I'd rather have hit the one today. He's the captain, he took on the responsibility, He got it badly wrong unfortunately. It happens to them all at some point or another. Even John O'Neill missed a couple. He was gutted afterward.

Afraid Todd ain't Captain material never mind penalty taker, Why would Gav not be on penalties? He is the striker that's ment to get us goals.... 🤷‍♂️

40 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Todd should never have been made captain another thing Wullie got wrong.

Never want to see Todd hit  another pen has to be Reilly who has hit and scored many pens throughout his career.

If not him then give McGory a chance.

Another thing we can't get right even scoring a pen .

Before you say It is completely different taking a pen in a shoot out.

33 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Afraid Todd ain't Captain material never mind penalty taker, Why would Gav not be on penalties? He is the striker that's ment to get us goals.... 🤷‍♂️

Aaron Muirhead hits them for the clubs he's played at. A striker doesn't necessarily mean they're the best option for hitting penalties. 

Harsh on Todd. He talks throughout the game tbh. 

14 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aaron Muirhead hits them for the clubs he's played at. A striker doesn't necessarily mean they're the best option for hitting penalties. 

Harsh on Todd. He talks throughout the game tbh. 

Fair enough Todd as Cpt stood up and took it, but he never oozes confidence in front of goal... As for talking throughout the game, A must be deaf then, cause for me he gives very little vocally as Captain... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

Todd should never have been made captain another thing Wullie got wrong.

Never want to see Todd hit  another pen has to be Reilly who has hit and scored many pens throughout his career.

If not him then give McGory a chance.

Another thing we can't get right even scoring a pen .

Before you say It is completely different taking a pen in a shoot out.

Nonsense. Todd's a perfectly good captain. He's not Chris Higgins right enough but he's as good as any other recent captain, including Wullie and Dobbie.

Gavin has never been a penalty taker in any of his spells with us or anyone else as far as I know. He didn't even take one in the Hearts shoot out a few years ago when he was on the pitch. There's absolutely no reason why being a striker should make you more of a penalty taker than anyone else is. Calvin McGrory's never scored a goal in his life but he's hit a couple of tremendous penalties. Our best penalty taker in living memory, John O'Neill, wasn't a striker either.

As for hoping Todd never takes another penalty, that's frankly the usual sort of reactionary nonsense Greenacres comes out with. Perhaps you could list all these penalties Gavin has taken and scored (and then maybe tell us how he hits them from the stand which is where he was when it was awarded)? I doubt Todd's in line to be the regular taker but if we need a shoot out in the SPFL Trust Trophy semi final or final I bet Todd stands up and hits one. He'll likely score too.

Edited by Skyline Drifter