The Queen of the South thread

29 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

There will not be a better goalkeeper in League One than Kevin Dabrowski. In fact, I'm absolutely staggered he's not at the very least a No.1 for a Championship side. I thought he would go back to Hibs after his spell with us and be their number one by now. Especially after his derby heroics last year.

You know how some players just have a bit of an aura and a presence about them? A bit of magic almost just in the way they conduct themselves? Like a swagger that makes you believe in them before you've really seen them in action. That's Kevin.

He came into us during the Covid season and was nothing short of sensational. He commands his area superbly, he pulls of genuinely jaw dropping saves, his handling is fairly solid and although he's prone to parrying shots - he does it with so much power that he pushes them away from goal and out for throw-ins.

He's a huge character. A bit of a maverick. He'll pull off saves that'll blow your mind, then make a really tame shot look like it was the toughest in the world by throwing himself on it in a mega dramatic way. He's exceptionally loud on the park as well and will happily be a bit of shithouse, winding other players up (hiya Brian Graham, hiya pal).

I absolutely loved watching him play for us. And loved it even more when I met him a couple of times. He's the most gentle mannered, polite and lovely big guy you could ever meet. And he just has a huge passion for football and goalkeeping which rubs off on you instantly. You'll probably all have seen his interview after the Edinburgh derby last year, and that is exactly what he's like. A really genuine, and incredibly talented, guy.

After he left us, I spoke to Sons goalkeeper coach at the time about him - and he likened him to Fraser Forster. You can read that - here. He's reminded me of Nick Pope since I first watched him in action for us though. But either way, those are good comparisons to have.

Here's a link to the GoPro from when he single-handedly helped Sons draw 0-0 with Partick Thistle in the Covid season. It's one of the best displays of goalkeeping I've ever seen.

Cheers JV ... but is he any good?  🙄🫤🫣

He's immediately tackled problem areas which is obviously welcome.

The centre back might be young, but so was Mark Durnan a decade ago.  

We obviously need to wait and see.  There was loads of unwarranted optimism on here in the summer for instance.  It feels encouraging though.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He's immediately tackled problem areas which is obviously welcome.

The centre back might be young, but so was Mark Durnan a decade ago.  

We obviously need to wait and see.  There was loads of unwarranted optimism on here in the summer for instance.  It feels encouraging though.

Jason Kerr an even better example of a young centre half, what a player.

Everyone has an opinion and everyone is a perfect manager but only one makes the decisions that matters. I'm pleased manager has identified weaknesses in our team, wasn't difficult, and wouldn't WG have come to the same conclusions with regards centre half and keeper. WG may even have identified the same players although them having Hibs links that's doubtful. Should you go for youth and unexperienced or age and experience

new signing van work out well or they can flop or be joe average. You never can tell when they are signed what they will turn out like. Wasn't there a dreadful signing about 14years who had been out on loan at Dunbarton after failing to have made it at Hibs. Whatever happened to him?

Who were signings in the past you looked forward playing for Queens who flopped and who did you fear who made you change your mind?

14 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Everyone has an opinion and everyone is a perfect manager but only one makes the decisions that matters. I'm pleased manager has identified weaknesses in our team, wasn't difficult, and wouldn't WG have come to the same conclusions with regards centre half and keeper. WG may even have identified the same players although them having Hibs links that's doubtful. Should you go for youth and unexperienced or age and experience

new signing van work out well or they can flop or be joe average. You never can tell when they are signed what they will turn out like. Wasn't there a dreadful signing about 14years who had been out on loan at Dunbarton after failing to have made it at Hibs. Whatever happened to him?

Who were signings in the past you looked forward playing for Queens who flopped and who did you fear who made you change your mind?

Signings who immediately spring to mind:

Looked forward to playing but hugely disappointing:    Andy Stirling, Alex Harris, John Baird

Not exactly feared as a signing, but much, much better than I anticipated:     Derek Young

Edited by Slipmat

1 minute ago, Slipmat said:

Recent(ish) season signings off the top of my head:

Looked forward to playing but hugely disappointing:    Andy Stirling

Not exactly feared as a signing, but much, much better than I anticipated:     Derek Young

Derek Young's a good shout but on the same day we also signed a young lad by the name of Derek Lyle who appeared to be winding his career down, latterly at Cowdenbeath, and looking for a last year back in full time with his private life causing some 'concern'. Who would have guessed we'd get another 6 years and 70 or so goals out of him. What a player, he got better with age. He might still have ended up leaving a year early! 

2 hours ago, queenslad said:

.I'm pleased manager has identified weaknesses in our team, wasn't difficult, and wouldn't WG have come to the same conclusions with regards centre half and keeper. WG may even have identified the same players although them having Hibs links that's doubtful.

Given that it was WG who brought most the duds in then I'd be skeptical he would have been trying to replace them. He had Fox on loan and still stuck with Currie in goal. 

I said it before he left and stick by it - if we fail to get promotion this season the blame lies solely at the feet of WG. 

Some signings looking back ...

Looked forward to,  but disappointing: Stewart Kean

Much better than anticipated: Peter Dickson, Derek Young (as others have said), Chris Mitchell (rip)

Would be many more but thinking back through the decades of mediocrity makes my brain hurt.

On 13/01/2023 at 00:31, 19QOS19 said:

Given that it was WG who brought most the duds in then I'd be skeptical he would have been trying to replace them. He had Fox on loan and still stuck with Currie in goal. 

I said it before he left and stick by it - if we fail to get promotion this season the blame lies solely at the feet of WG. 

Definitely WG fault if we don't make the playoffs he did not  sign a goalkeeper or defender good enough .

Massive job for Bartley he has been very impressive in all his interviews so far but now the most important thing to see if he gets a reaction from the players time will tell 

2 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Should be many more out the door amazed any club would pay anything for Currie.

For me, I’d want rid of Murray, Dave McKay, Ruth and loan out Irvine. That on top of Currie and Bange already away would be a good clearout