The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

There's certainly a need for a commanding and experienced CB, and young Brydon isn't that but given we've parted with cash for him and given a 2.5 year contract you'd like to think Marvin's thinks there's a talent there to be developed. So maybe that's just part of the solution, early days yet.

If Brydon was a loan until the end of the season I'd be underwhelmed somewhat but that it's a 2 year deal you have to think Bartley will be eyeing a bit of experience alongside him in the summer. 

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If Brydon was a loan until the end of the season I'd be underwhelmed somewhat but that it's a 2 year deal you have to think Bartley will be eyeing a bit of experience alongside him in the summer. 

Exactly preparing for next season. 

Yep, this is rebuilding started now. Can see more business by the end of the window, including leavers too.

Also Dabrowski is out of contract with Hibs at the end of the season and a free agent. Not sure if we'd be able to hold onto him though if he's as good as others are saying. He's certainly come here to be No.1.

Edited by Otis Blue

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Is Bange away back to Blackpool now? If so what a waste of a loan that turned out to be for both parties. I expected him to be used a bit more rather than the odd 15 minute cameo appearance and one, admittedly poor, half against Falkirk. 

Bange has gone back to Blackpool.

I'm very pleased with the Dabrowski signing, not heard much about Brydon but he can't be any worse than McKenna, Hendrie or the McKays surely?

17 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

I might have missed this, but how long is Bartley’s deal?

11 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I don't think it's been declared. Not sure though.

Argh!

I've already had my head bitten off for this on Facebook once today but sorry it needs said again.

If only we had an informative website people could source this kind of info on 🙄

http://www.qosfc.com/coaches

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Is Bange away back to Blackpool now? If so what a waste of a loan that turned out to be for both parties. I expected him to be used a bit more rather than the odd 15 minute cameo appearance and one, admittedly poor, half against Falkirk. 

Loan finished on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If only we had an informative website people could source this kind of info on 🙄

Aye OK SD, we're suitably admonished. We forgot to drill down deep into the OS to check. Silly us for just reading the news article announcing his appointment, eh?

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Argh!

I've already had my head bitten off for this on Facebook once today but sorry it needs said again.

I think the reason people are asking is it was never mentioned in your original news feed. 

15 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye OK SD, we're suitably admonished. We forgot to drill down deep into the OS to check. Silly us for just reading the news article announcing his appointment, eh?

Well. There's little more frustrating than spending time making sure information is correct and available and then seeing people type out lengthy questions they could have gotten the answer to in two clicks by just looking themselves.

9 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

I think the reason people are asking is it was never mentioned in your original news feed. 

Because none of the people involved in the original story were in the loop at the time. It's still there if you look.

3 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Assuming Dabrowski plays, I'm guessing he could be the tallest player ever to turn out for Queens?

He dwarfs Bartley in the signing photo!

I've not met him yet but if he's taller than Bange it won't be by much. They are both somewhere between 6'5" and 6'6" I think.

19 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Was at the game last night and saw your memorial wall. Thought it was lovely. My great uncle Jim Hogg from Sanquhar was a big Queens fan and died last year. Will make enquiries and pass the information on his daughter. Good folk Queens, really enjoyed being down for the first time in a while 

20230110_203705.jpg

20230110_203759.jpg

I never knew we had a memorial wall either. Where is it? Have just been told by my other half that I walk past it every week! Will make a point of looking at the next home game. 🙄

Edited by Mulberryblue
Add additional information

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well. There's little more frustrating than spending time making sure information is correct and available and then seeing people type out lengthy questions they could have gotten the answer to in two clicks by just looking themselves.

It's OK ... I'll go and stand on the "naughty step".

There will not be a better goalkeeper in League One than Kevin Dabrowski. In fact, I'm absolutely staggered he's not at the very least a No.1 for a Championship side. I thought he would go back to Hibs after his spell with us and be their number one by now. Especially after his derby heroics last year.

You know how some players just have a bit of an aura and a presence about them? A bit of magic almost just in the way they conduct themselves? Like a swagger that makes you believe in them before you've really seen them in action. That's Kevin.

He came into us during the Covid season and was nothing short of sensational. He commands his area superbly, he pulls of genuinely jaw dropping saves, his handling is fairly solid and although he's prone to parrying shots - he does it with so much power that he pushes them away from goal and out for throw-ins.

He's a huge character. A bit of a maverick. He'll pull off saves that'll blow your mind, then make a really tame shot look like it was the toughest in the world by throwing himself on it in a mega dramatic way. He's exceptionally loud on the park as well and will happily be a bit of shithouse, winding other players up (hiya Brian Graham, hiya pal).

I absolutely loved watching him play for us. And loved it even more when I met him a couple of times. He's the most gentle mannered, polite and lovely big guy you could ever meet. And he just has a huge passion for football and goalkeeping which rubs off on you instantly. You'll probably all have seen his interview after the Edinburgh derby last year, and that is exactly what he's like. A really genuine, and incredibly talented, guy.

After he left us, I spoke to Sons goalkeeper coach at the time about him - and he likened him to Fraser Forster. You can read that - here. He's reminded me of Nick Pope since I first watched him in action for us though. But either way, those are good comparisons to have.

Here's a link to the GoPro from when he single-handedly helped Sons draw 0-0 with Partick Thistle in the Covid season. It's one of the best displays of goalkeeping I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, Mulberryblue said:

I never knew we had a memorial wall either. Where is it? Have just been told by my other half that I walk past it every week! Will make a point of looking at the next home game. 🙄

Left hand side of the main stand. Portland Drive side

Pleased with the GK signing - that was a must. Was hoping for an experienced CB or 2 who can organise the back 4, do the dirty stuff and defend our box. Not convinced that a very young inexperienced CB is what we need at present. Will certainly need to move some on to get squad down to manageable level.