The Queen of the South thread

47 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Is Tommy Sloan likely to want to go full time in management at 58? Depends what he does for a living I suppose and if it's something he has any interest in doing.

Was thinking much the same. He's probably very safe where he is with Talbot and, although not old, will be wary of going into the precarious world of senior full time management. I don't know what he does for a living but maybe he's got a good enough job that he doesn't want to give it up. 

40 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Was thinking much the same. He's probably very safe where he is with Talbot and, although not old, will be wary of going into the precarious world of senior full time management. I don't know what he does for a living but maybe he's got a good enough job that he doesn't want to give it up. 

^^^ This - if he's in steady employment (at 58) then he'll have more sense than to give that up.

On 28/12/2022 at 14:00, Dudleyghu said:

Heard from a reliable source Murray is the front runner for the job as the board are underwhelmed by the applicants and disappointed by the low number of applicants. 

Either your source is now officially unreliable or the club have lied 😂

Hate to say it but Murray is probably in the best position to take it on with already knowing the players and what needs fixed unless he's going to be part of the backgrounds staff. 

Some challenge sorting this team out in 4 weeks. 

Going by his post match interviews it was clear that WG listened a lot to Grant Murray and leaned on him. I doubt therefore that appointing Murray as manager will sort out the under performing group of players we currently have. I think we need to bring in someone new and there is always the option of keeping Murray as assistant.

2 hours ago, BeeJay said:

Going by his post match interviews it was clear that WG listened a lot to Grant Murray and leaned on him. I doubt therefore that appointing Murray as manager will sort out the under performing group of players we currently have. I think we need to bring in someone new and there is always the option of keeping Murray as assistant.

Pretty much my feelings too. Apart from the share of blame that players must shoulder, Murray is part of the reason we find ourselves in this situation if he was mentoring Wullie imo. I wouldn't even keep him as Assistant either. We need a complete re-boot on the managerial/coaching side but as usual it will be down to cash as to what happens. 

There are so many rumours going about who our new manager may be. Must admit I would be impressed if we managed to land Neil McCann as our manager. He talks very well has done well at the clubs he has managed. Great connections would be good for loan players etc. I would imagine with his reputation he would not take lightly to our slackers and would tell the home truths our players need to hear. We need someone to come in and hit the ground running. I still honestly think if we could sort our defence out we could make the play offs and then take our chance. January is so important our squad needs rejuvenated with winners as we have goals in our team. Here's hoping it is announced if true sooner rather than later. 

15 hours ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

I would be really happy if Neil McCann ended up as the next Queen of the South manager.

That type of manager is what we need but would he leave a good job at Sky to come to us .

My choice is Brian Rice at Alloa but problem would be the compo we would have to pay .

The board have said they will take time to decide we don't really have that we should surely be looking to get someone  in next week so that they can quickly add some quality to the squad .

Surprised to see so much positivity at the suggestion of Neil McCann. A dreadful job at Dundee (though admittedly McPake is doing well in this division having been hated there) then was winless at the start of his time at Inverness with the upturn happening immediately on Billy Dodds arriving as his assistant. That was too much of a coincidence to avoid questioning how much credit McCann deserves for it, before ultimately ending up with a bang average record anyway.

Edited by Dunning1874

22 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Surprised to see so much positivity at the suggestion of Neil McCann. A dreadful job at Dundee (though admittedly McPake is doing well in this division having been hated there) then was winless at the start of his time at Inverness with the upturn happening immediately on Billy Dodds arriving as his assistant. That was too much of a coincidence to avoid questioning how much credit McCann deserves for it, before ultimately ending up with a bang average record anyway.

In the limited times I watched ICT under McCann the main impression I got was that he instilled a bit of fight and belief into the players, they handled the physical side a bit better and heads didn't drop. Whether he, or anybody for that matter, could instil fight and belief into this squad at Queens is a different matter though. We've got the players mid to front who should mostly be good enough for this division when attacking, we're just so soft when defending. We need someone who can recruit decent defenders or try and toughen up what we've got. 

44 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Pretty much my thoughts as well tbh. And he seems like a complete w****r into the bargain. I'm skeptical it's even true though as I doubt he'd drop this low. Though as you say, I don't think his résumé would have many clubs higher up falling over themselves for him so you never know. 

It will be interesting to see if any applicants are in the stand today. With most teams in the SPFL not playing today there's an ideal opportunity for an applicant to see what he would be in charge of...or is that a good thing? Or perhaps the BOD have concluded their search and an announcement will be made after the game. But with the transfer window open tomorrow we really need to get someone in soon.

1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

It will be interesting to see if any applicants are in the stand today. With most teams in the SPFL not playing today there's an ideal opportunity for an applicant to see what he would be in charge of...or is that a good thing? Or perhaps the BOD have concluded their search and an announcement will be made after the game. But with the transfer window open tomorrow we really need to get someone in soon.

I hope not. They'll be gone by HT and we'll be stuck with Murray. 

4 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

f**k me that was bad

Great to get  the win but that was 2 very poor teams.

The new manager can't be Murray we need a complete change if anything we have got worse in his 2 games in charge 

Hopefully we can add some quality in Jan. The squad just now is nowhere near good enough for the playoffs massive job for the new manager

Somehow we find ourselves only 3 points from play offs, albeit with other teams having games in hand. Our team is ridiculously poor, if I was on the bench and not getting a shot I’d be asking some serious questions. Great to get win but papers over cracks and nothing else