The Queen of the South thread

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You cannot manage a full time football club in Scotland whilst living in England. Gavin Skelton very quickly realised it wasnt doable and he was an hour closer than Dobbie. He'd need to move home which would be surprising for such a transient position.

He decided not to move North when playing. His family is settled there, his youngest is in Blackpool's youth academy. He has a reasonable level job there already with the prospect of moving up the English ladder. Stranger things have happened but it seems unlikely for now.

I think that should put the (quite understandable) Dobbie rumours to bed now ... SD will have a good handle on this.

47 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You cannot manage a full time football club in Scotland whilst living in England. Gavin Skelton very quickly realised it wasnt doable and he was an hour closer than Dobbie. He'd need to move home which would be surprising for such a transient position.

He decided not to move North when playing. His family is settled there, his youngest is in Blackpool's youth academy. He has a reasonable level job there already with the prospect of moving up the English ladder. Stranger things have happened but it seems unlikely for now.

That criteria will probably rule Peter Murphy out of any speculation of being considered also. Its probably only the logistics of our training set up being in Hamilton that are a potential obstacle against attracting Manager's (and players) from the Carlisle area. Plus I wasn't entirely convinced that Skelton leaving was solely down to geography but that's a different subject. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

37 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I think that should put the (quite understandable) Dobbie rumours to bed now ... SD will have a good handle on this.

It doesnt really put anything to be bed. I havent spoken to Dobs recently and I'm not involved in managerial hire or fire decisions. Its just a statement of facts. You can just about live in Lytham and play for us as he did for 5 years or so. He stayed with his parents, Mondays and Thursdays and did a lot of driving. But a player's commitment stops when training finishes. A manager needs to attend games of opposition, reserves, has responsibilities for sitting with his staff, designing training plans, set pieces, etc, has media commitments, etc. His job is 52 weeks too, there's no real 'off season' as players get.

I dont think that can realistically be done whilst living a 2 hour drive from the Border. Like I said Gavin Skelton was an hour closer and it couldnt work for him. He rarely saw his home in daylight and was basically only ever seeing his house for a bed. To manage in Scotland Dobbie would either need to move his family North or stay away from them for extended periods, rather than the couple of days a week it was as a player. He decided not to move back North despite knowing he would probably be here several years as a player.

He wants to live where he is long term and if he wants to work in England where the money and profile is then moving North permanently is a backwards step. He's not out of work and twiddling his thumbs either. He has a job and is on the Blackpool / EFL coaching ladder. Like I said, stranger things have happened, but it seems very unlikely right now. I dont expect anything less than for him to rule nothing out when asked press questions though. 

7 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

That criteria will probably rule Peter Murphy out of any speculation of being considered also. 

I'm not sure exactly where Murphy lives, is it Carlisle? You could maybe just about do it from Carlisle. Its not really any further from Hamilton than Dumfries is. However, given Annan do train twice a week in Annan it would certainly mean a lot more travel for him. 

With Murphy the question is does he want to give up whatever his day job is to work in football full time, more than can it be done from where he lives (unless he lives South of Penrith or something).

49 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It doesnt really put anything to be bed. I havent spoken to Dobs recently and I'm not involved in managerial hire or fire decisions. Its just a statement of facts ...

Cheers SD. Wasn't implying that you'd spoken with Dobbs, just that you'd have a greater awareness of all the pertinent factors involved than most of us on here would do.

Like many of us, I'd rather he develop his coaching career further first before making the venture into management.

Having travelled a lot during my own working life it's certainly a tough ask.

News From A Mitchell Alive Radio today -

Stephen Dobbie testimonial 30th April 2023

Teams so far

Dobbie qos 11 - Manager I McCall, A Martin J Mcdonald, A Aitken, C Higgins A Dowie, R Harris, J Mcquilken, S Tosh P Burns, N Scally, K Jacobs, R Mccann, D Lyle, S O'Conner, J Rankin, M Doyle, A Stirling (pos L Dykes) & S DOBBIE

Scotland legends so far Manager S Brown, S Whittaker, B Robson, D Riordan, S Crainey, K Broadfoot, G Naysmith, 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

2 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Teams so far

Dobbie qos 11 - Manager I McCall, A Martin J Mcdonald, A Aitken, C Higgins A Dowie, R Harris, J Mcquilken, S Tosh P Burns, N Scally, K Jacobs, R Mccann, D Lyle, S O'Conner, J rankin, M Doyle, A Stirling (pos L Dykes) & S DOBBIE

Scotland legends so far Manager S Brown, S Whittaker, B Robson, D Riordan, S Crainey, K Broadfoot, G Naysmith, 

Kirk Broadfoot is as much of a chef as he is a Scotland legend. 

7 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Teams so far

Dobbie qos 11 - Manager I McCall, A Martin J Mcdonald, A Aitken, C Higgins A Dowie, R Harris, J Mcquilken, S Tosh P Burns, N Scally, K Jacobs, R Mccann, D Lyle, S O'Conner, J rankin, M Doyle, A Stirling (pos L Dykes) & S DOBBIE

Decent QOS XI that, great to see Stevie Tosh and wee Bob Harris in there too. 👍

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

News From A Mitchell Alive Radio today -

Teams so far

Dobbie qos 11 - Manager I McCall, A Martin J Mcdonald, A Aitken, C Higgins A Dowie, R Harris, J Mcquilken, S Tosh P Burns, N Scally, K Jacobs, R Mccann, D Lyle, S O'Conner, J Rankin, M Doyle, A Stirling (pos L Dykes) & S DOBBIE

I'd imagine thats more a wish list than confirmed attendees. I'd be surprised if the likes of Jamie MacDonsld, Ky Jacobs, Michael Doyle, Andy Stirling and certainly Lyndon Dykes were involved to anything more than nominal extent in a game on April 30th. They are all still active players. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'd imagine thats more a wish list than confirmed attendees. I'd be surprised if the likes of Jamie MacDonsld, Ky Jacobs, Michael Doyle, Andy Stirling and certainly Lyndon Dykes were involved to anything more than nominal extent in a game on April 30th. They are all still active players. 

Only posted what was said on radio, Dobbie's confirmed names, obviously players that are contracted to clubs prob won't play but will be ther same as Dobbie & Harris did  at big JT's testimonial. 

5 minutes ago, Dudleyghu said:

Heard from a reliable source Murray is the front runner for the job as the board are underwhelmed by the applicants and disappointed by the low number of applicants. 

Is that right Grant? Must be very poor response if that's the case. 

5 minutes ago, Dudleyghu said:

Heard from a reliable source Murray is the front runner for the job as the board are underwhelmed by the applicants and disappointed by the low number of applicants. 

If correct i wonder who they were expecting to apply ? Still no reason to appoint a dud.