The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Just seen Euan East is in Paris, anyone know roughly what days we train each week?

You mean we actually train 🤯

From what I've seen over the past few seasons I'd been assuming that we were going into matches and just improvising, a bit like having a jam session, and then if something clicks we try doing it again the following week.

10 hours ago, Slipmat said:

You mean we actually train 🤯

From what I've seen over the past few seasons I'd been assuming that we were going into matches and just improvising, a bit like having a jam session, and then if something clicks we try doing it again the following week.

Free form defending of corners is the way to go apparently.

11 hours ago, queenslad said:

Who is on the pens tomorrow if we get one? Murray? will he place it where he normally places them or will he now change his routine after going public with how he hits them.......maybe a double bluff

It probably shows the intelligence of some players if Murray is serious about hitting them in the same place every time. It may be a bluff as you say though. Can't really complain if Murray is on the pens as his success rate is excellent (ok he's only taken a couple.) and he's been practicing them at training. I wonder if Paton is a bit miffed at being taken off penalty duty, he certainly hasn't been as upbeat during games as normal. 

It probably shows the intelligence of some players if Murray is serious about hitting them in the same place every time. It may be a bluff as you say though. Can't really complain if Murray is on the pens as his success rate is excellent (ok he's only taken a couple.) and he's been practicing them at training. I wonder if Paton is a bit miffed at being taken off penalty duty, he certainly hasn't been as upbeat during games as normal. 
Possibly. Though he can have no complaints about it given he missed two. Similarly he's lucky he hasn't been dropped completely given he's missed some really good chances in the last two home games.

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

Obviously completely hypothetical but would you take McCall back if he gets binned by Thistle?

Aye, that thought crossed my mind this afternoon listening to the scores coming in - won't be long before his star is on the wane at Firhill the way results are heading.  I'm never that convinced by McCall as a manger but he can "spot a player" - remember he plucked Dobbie out of relative obscurity, told him to get his act together and the rest is history.

The manager that's always impressed me at this level is McGlynn, but that ship has sailed - although I doubt we could ever have tempted him away from Starks Park when he had options like Falkirk to consider.

Re managers - basically, there just aren't many good ones around. When you look at the Scottish leagues, you will struggle to find more than a handful of competent names in the manager/head coach role. There are always a few that are riding high for a few months or season but usually come back to earth with a crash.

I don't have have any answers, or even suggestions, unfortunately. Personally, I wouldn't offer it to McCall. I was just wanting so much for Wullie to get a good start and win himself time to grow into the position, gain experience etc. Many there's still a chance but the weeks are slipping away.

13 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye, that thought crossed my mind this afternoon listening to the scores coming in - won't be long before his star is on the wane at Firhill the way results are heading.  I'm never that convinced by McCall as a manger but he can "spot a player" - remember he plucked Dobbie out of relative obscurity, told him to get his act together and the rest is history.

The manager that's always impressed me at this level is McGlynn, but that ship has sailed - although I doubt we could ever have tempted him away from Starks Park when he had options like Falkirk to consider.

I think McCall has a ceiling which is the play offs in the championship, which isn’t good enough for thistle who want to win the league, but for us he’d be ideal. Look at the job he did at Ayr as well. In an ideal world I’d be pulling out all the stops to give him total control on the managing side of things and try get Wullie as a player coach (I know it would never happen but anyways)

Just now, Riviera711 said:

Re managers - basically, there just aren't many good ones around. When you look at the Scottish leagues, you will struggle to find more than a handful of competent names in the manager/head coach role. There are always a few that are riding high for a few months or season but usually come back to earth with a crash.

I don't have have any answers, or even suggestions, unfortunately. Personally, I wouldn't offer it to McCall. I was just wanting so much for Wullie to get a good start and win himself time to grow into the position, gain experience etc. Many there's still a chance but the weeks are slipping away.

Can't disagree with that.

Sure we all want WG to succeed.  However, whilst I don't think that the BOD need to make a decision now, I do think they should be spending the next six weeks considering alternatives and who is out there in terms of both players and managers so that we are able to move by the start of January if we need to.

Folk are saying that we'll be safe in this league because of Peterhead and Clyde.  Well, maybe we can count on Peterhead finishing 10th but I wouldn't bet on Clyde not picking up now that they've parted with Lennon as manager.  If we're not careful we'll end up in a real shit show of a relegation battle here and for a FT side that would/should be unacceptable.

Used to like McGlynn but after signing a rapist and then doubling down that there was nothing wrong with his decision, sitting in the away dugout is the only thing I'd want him to do with our club.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Used to like McGlynn but after signing a rapist and then doubling down that there was nothing wrong with his decision, sitting in the away dugout is the only thing I'd want him to do with our club.

Aye, he didn't impress many with that utter fiasco.  My rating of McGlynn was having watched the sides he put together over the years and how they played the game.  Moot point though as he's at Falkirk now and no way would he drop to our level anyway.  But I do think the BOD should be considering the "field" over the next few weeks, just in case ...