The Queen of the South thread

As usual , people getting wound up over nothing. He either plays or he doesn't.

In my opinion he should have been advised at interview to either remain as a player or be Manager -  not both.  James Fowler soon realised he couldn't do both effectively and that turned out quite well.  The problem was that due to relegation and to minimise the negativity the Board took a decision to keep Gibson in place being, both local and popular to a degree with supporters. The situation complicated though as he generally improves the team when on the pitch.  At most he perhaps should have been offered Player/Asst with AN Other in charge but that didn't happen for the reasons stated.

If he is to stay in charge then he needs to avoid playing unless in emergency situation.

It is quite clear that people are using an unsubstantiated comment to have a go at the Chairman, just for a change !

Just remember , the Chairman and Board have taken bold decisions off the field to keep us FT.  You cannot run a FT operation on the crowds that we get.  They got the Arena up and running to generate additional income and were responsible for the Dykes transfer Income - despite the ridiculous doubts of some - and have brought us through the challenges of Covid and continue to navigate the financial challenges we all now currently face.

We still have a League Club - with potential - to support.  Let's be grateful for that.

1 hour ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

In my opinion he should have been advised at interview to either remain as a player or be Manager -  not both.  James Fowler soon realised he couldn't do both effectively and that turned out quite well.  The problem was that due to relegation and to minimise the negativity the Board took a decision to keep Gibson in place being, both local and popular to a degree with supporters. The situation complicated though as he generally improves the team when on the pitch.  At most he perhaps should have been offered Player/Asst with AN Other in charge but that didn't happen for the reasons stated.

If he is to stay in charge then he needs to avoid playing unless in emergency situation.

It is quite clear that people are using an unsubstantiated comment to have a go at the Chairman, just for a change !

Just remember , the Chairman and Board have taken bold decisions off the field to keep us FT.  You cannot run a FT operation on the crowds that we get.  They got the Arena up and running to generate additional income and were responsible for the Dykes transfer Income - despite the ridiculous doubts of some - and have brought us through the challenges of Covid and continue to navigate the financial challenges we all now currently face.

We still have a League Club - with potential - to support.  Let's be grateful for that.

They also oversaw the vaccine roll-out, got Brexit done and stood up to Putin.

Now slept on it. Good to keep the wins going but we need to play better against better teams. Obviously chopped and changed multiple times during the game yesterday. East is out only good defender again another small forward bullied the McKays. They look nervous all the time. Very little went through our midfield everything was long ball again I thought WG wanted to play good football. Big Bange put himself about when he came on and that roughed up Clyde something we did not do. Connelly and Murray for in each others way all the time. Good penalty from Murray. Personally thought he overplayed at times instead of moving it quickly. A lot of more work to do to compete at the right end of table in my opinion. Fed up of with  the will he won't he play debate. 

2 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I disagree totally on the WG issue - we have an experienced Asst Manager in Grant Murray who can take a significant degree of the day to day workload off Wullie's shoulders leaving him free to play as required. It is blatantly obvious to everyone that when he plays we invariably look a different team. If he was a marginal performer I could see the sense in him stepping back BUT nothing could be further from reality. Not only should he be the first name on our team sheet - he would be the first name on most Championship team sheets as well. 

I agree totally that the Board have taken bold decisions to keep us FT and they are to be commended for that. Running a FT football operation on our crowds is one of the most unenviable challenges I can think of especially with our geographical disadvantages. 

As I have said previously, I have no idea what the politics are behind the decision regarding WG but the rationale behind the decision needs to be communicated to the supporters because his continual omission just doesn't stack up. We are so devoid of quality on the pitch and despite being FT we repeatedly struggle to outperform very modest PT opposition. I haven't seen a standout team yet in this league. The fact that FCE are riding high in second place says all you need to know about the underlying quality in this division and we are making the challenge harder by not picking our best and most experienced player.

1 minute ago, ALOREBURNE said:

The reactions when AJ brought him back were underwhelming to say the least. Since then he’s been player of the year and is now our manager, funny how things work out. 

The reactions were justified though given that at that point he had spent a few years bouncing about the lower leagues. He has very much exceeded all expectations as a player since his return. 

20 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I disagree totally on the WG issue - we have an experienced Asst Manager in Grant Murray who can take a significant degree of the day to day workload off Wullie's shoulders leaving him free to play as required. It is blatantly obvious to everyone that when he plays we invariably look a different team. If he was a marginal performer I could see the sense in him stepping back BUT nothing could be further from reality. Not only should he be the first name on our team sheet - he would be the first name on most Championship team sheets as well. 

I agree totally that the Board have taken bold decisions to keep us FT and they are to be commended for that. Running a FT football operation on our crowds is one of the most unenviable challenges I can think of especially with our geographical disadvantages. 

As I have said previously, I have no idea what the politics are behind the decision regarding WG but the rationale behind the decision needs to be communicated to the supporters because his continual omission just doesn't stack up. We are so devoid of quality on the pitch and despite being FT we repeatedly struggle to outperform very modest PT opposition. I haven't seen a standout team yet in this league. The fact that FCE are riding high in second place says all you need to know about the underlying quality in this division and we are making the challenge harder by not picking our best and most experienced player.

We are more in agreement than you might think.  The simple solution would have been to appoint a different Manager and keep WG on a playing contract.

2 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

We are more in agreement than you might think.  The simple solution would have been to appoint a different Manager and keep WG on a playing contract.

Assuming he would sign on as a player of course. 

Aye, away to a Championship side would have been well down the list of preferred ties. Could be worse. I'd rather play Morton than Dundee or Inverness or Partick Thistle, etc and it's not the other end of the country, but it's still uninspiring and disappointing.

Would have been nice to get a Drumchapel, or Auchinleck or Stirling Uni or even Darvel type draw.

EDIT - Still, last time we played Morton away in the Scottish Cup we reached the final!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

49 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Aye, away to a Championship side would have been well down the list of preferred ties. Could be worse. I'd rather play Morton than Dundee or Inverness or Partick Thistle, etc and it's not the other end of the country, but it's still uninspiring and disappointing.

Would have been nice to get a Drumchapel, or Auchinleck or Stirling Uni or even Darvel type draw.

EDIT - Still, last time we played Morton away in the Scottish Cup we reached the final!

What happens if we had got a  Auchinleck type draw and  lost would put a hell of pressure on WG.

Morton is a free hit if we lose we move on to the more important thing of the League.

1 minute ago, Greenacres said:

What happens if we had got a  Auchinleck type draw and  lost would put a hell of pressure on WG.

Morton is a free hit if we lose we move on to the more important thing of the League.

Have you ever in your entire life had a situation occur where you didnt immediately try to put the worst spin possible on it? 

Honestly! Do you sit watching draws like these with fingers crossed we dont get a non league side in case we lose? 😱

Yep, my first thought on hearing the draw was that it was a bit "meh" - I suppose cos its a side that we've played regularly over recent seasons, and its away also, and you always hope for something a bit new and fresh from the cup.  That said, Morton weren't vastly superior to us last season and so there's no reason why we shouldn't go up there and give it a real go.  Nothing to lose, its the cup etc etc.  We shouldn't fear this.

As SD mentioned earlier, the last time we played at Cappielow in the big cup we won (2-0, I was there) en route to Hampden so maybe that would be a good omen ... granted we had some decent players in that 2008 side tbf ...