The Queen of the South thread

I would hazard a guess that 95%+ of the supporters want WG on the pitch - most can see the obvious difference he makes to our chances of winning games. I think the time has come where we need to know exactly why he is not playing - from my point of view I have become seriously disenchanted after making a four hour round trip to home matches and then finding us not fielding our best player (and arguably the best player in the league). You then look at the performances and results and that tells its own story.

Let’s get some open communication on the subject so that we can try and make sense of the strategy (if that’s possible??).Let’s not forget in Grant Murray - we have a hugely experienced football guy. A manager for 3 years in his own right at Raith so for me it is inconceivable to think that he can’t run the show from the dugout when Wullie is playing.

A manager for 3 years in his own right at Raith so for me it is inconceivable to think that he can’t run the show from the dugout when Wullie is playing.

There's a lot more to management than what happens in the dugout for 90 minutes during the game though. For William to be a full time manager and a full time player is a tough ask. I'm sure Grant Murray is well capable of doing Management duties during the week too, but then is William still the manager?

48 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Let’s get some open communication on the subject so that we can try and make sense of the strategy (if that’s possible??).

This.

Personally, despite my previous post illustrating that our club has form regarding board interference in team selection, I tend to believe that Wullie is maybe carrying a niggling injury given that he hasn't even named himself on the bench in the last few games, especially given our current lack of fit defenders.

Unfortunately the OS injury updates which were a welcome feature of the early days of WG's tenure (ie last season) have dried up, and the management team seem to have stopped doing post match video interviews.  New ones today from Dan and Toddy but sadly no comments from WG.  A simple statement from WG along the lines of "I'm carrying an injury" or "it's my decision not to pick myself" would easily end speculation.

ETA - Gibson interview online 5 minutes after I posted this lol!  Looks like he was riding a unicycle at the time 😆

Edited by Slipmat

Wullie went public to refute allegations of a fallout with Connelly, maybe he, or our Chairman, could do the same to clarify the situation regarding Wullie's role and reasons he's not playing, their silence is only increasing the speculation. Even if its a "request" by the Chairman rather than a direct order that Wullie is to concentrate on Management it would be nice to quash any unfounded rumours. 

2 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

There's a lot more to management than what happens in the dugout for 90 minutes during the game though. For William to be a full time manager and a full time player is a tough ask. I'm sure Grant Murray is well capable of doing Management duties during the week too, but then is William still the manager?

You make it sound as if the player/manager role is some new founded experiment we've devised.  It's hardly without precedent.

Operating it smoothly, shouldn't really be unfathomable.

13 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:
16 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:
You make it sound as if the player/manager role is some new founded experiment we've devised.  It's hardly without precedent.
Operating it smoothly, shouldn't really be unfathomable.

Who's an example of a successful player-manager?

Kenny Dalglish.

Kenny Dalglish.
Was expecting that one. Nearly 40 years ago. From Wikipedia

"After becoming player-manager on the retirement of Joe Fagan in the 1985 close season, Dalglish selected himself for just 21 First Division games in 1985–86 as Liverpool won the double, but he started the FA Cup final win over Everton.".

Dalgliesh was 4 years younger in 1985 than William Gibson is now.

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Wullie went public to refute allegations of a fallout with Connelly, maybe he, or our Chairman, could do the same to clarify the situation regarding Wullie's role and reasons he's not playing, their silence is only increasing the speculation. Even if its a "request" by the Chairman rather than a direct order that Wullie is to concentrate on Management it would be nice to quash any unfounded rumours. 

Wullie has an injury !! 

There’s an article from this week where Gibson says a bit on him not playing: 

Gibson opted not to select himself in the match day squad for the past two matches. But he admits he’ll have to reconsider what his plan will be for what now is a huge home match at the wrong end of the table against Peterhead.

He said: “I’d rather stay away from myself to be honest. I didn’t select myself in the team and that’s it.

“But I believe in the dressing room in there that they had more than enough to come here and get a result.

“They haven’t and now we need to have a wee re-think and see what I do next.

https://www.dng24.co.uk/pressure-is-on-me-not-players/

41 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

Was expecting that one. Nearly 40 years ago. From Wikipedia

"After becoming player-manager on the retirement of Joe Fagan in the 1985 close season, Dalglish selected himself for just 21 First Division games in 1985–86 as Liverpool won the double, but he started the FA Cup final win over Everton.".

Dalgliesh was 4 years younger in 1985 than William Gibson is now.

He was operating at a slightly higher level in fairness.

Playing in half the league games, starting the FA Cup final and scoring the goal that clinched the title, suggests he was more than a bit part player though.

Of course, the reality is that such appointments are relatively rare now, and virtually unknown at elevated levels.

I wasn't claiming that it's necessarily the greatest model, but it's hardly unknown or unworkable either. 

Like everyone else, I want him to play more, and I'm pretty intrigued by the fairly convincing sounding accounts of interference on here

However, my own guess would be that Gibson is displaying undue modesty in not wanting to push himself forward all the time. He probably wants to show faith in his players. He'll also be very aware of his body's frailties as he ages and probably doesn't want to risk it, if he feels anything.

It doesn't take much to rekindle unwelcome memories of Harkness though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

46 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

Hope I'm not sounding 'anti-Gibson" here, I just don't think it's feasible to ask him to play every week AND manage the side.

PS. I was ready for the Kenny Dalgliesh come-back on being a successful Player-manager but I'm glad no one has said Rowe/Eadie yet!

I steered clear of mentioning Drew Busby and Frank McGarvey too.

Let’s get some open communication on the subject so that we can try and make sense of the strategy (if that’s possible??).Let’s not forget in Grant Murray - we have a hugely experienced football guy. A manager for 3 years in his own right at Raith so for me it is inconceivable to think that he can’t run the show from the dugout when Wullie is playing.

A simple statement from WG along the lines of "I'm carrying an injury" or "it's my decision not to pick myself" would easily end speculation.

Wullie has an injury !! 

There’s an article from this week where Gibson says a bit on him not playing: 

Gibson opted not to select himself in the match day squad for the past two matches. But he admits he’ll have to reconsider what his plan will be for what now is a huge home match at the wrong end of the table against Peterhead.

He said: “I’d rather stay away from myself to be honest. I didn’t select myself in the team and that’s it.

“But I believe in the dressing room in there that they had more than enough to come here and get a result.

WG being very modest/cryptic there. Given he hasn't been shy in shooting down rumours I'm surprised he hasn't come out and outright said that these particular rumours aren't true... ;-)

I wonder why.

2 hours ago, Baller69 said:

No he hasn't. The club might say he has to squash rumours. He is not injured 

Aye, according to Wullie himself before the Peterhead game the only injuries, East, who passed a fitness test to play, Morrison, longer term and P. McKay hopefully back in full training this week. I'm not sure what he was meaning when he said he'd rather stay away from himself, probably not the same as I mean after a night on the Guinness. 

1 hour ago, queenslad said:

Has Dougie Doonhamer picked up an injury or retired as he has not been seen recently? Has he been dropped?

A very reliable source told me that wee Lee's mum telt Dougie tae get back in his kennel and stay there ...