The Queen of the South thread

Thoughts on Max Johnston? According to one rag he could be joining us on loan from Motherwell.

Played quite a bit for you last season I believe. Was that due to his Dad being in charge or was he good enough to warrant the game time? 

Best position, good and bad attributes?

Screenshot_20220906-145457.jpg

Thoughts on Max Johnston? According to one rag he could be joining us on loan from Motherwell.
Played quite a bit for you last season I believe. Was that due to his Dad being in charge or was he good enough to warrant the game time? 
Best position, good and bad attributes?
Screenshot_20220906-145457.thumb.jpg.19c8f280855f8910e78260ccc6a08af2.jpg
Another side were interested in him recently, can't mind who. One of our posters gave a fair description of his time with us:-

To begin with his inclusion screamed of nepotism. He was anonymous most of the time and an empty jersey. He then found a bit of form on the right for us and by the time he got injured he was a loss. If you get the boy we had to begin with it's a terrible signing. If you get the one we ended with (pre injury obviously) then it's a sound bit of business. RM/CM I reckon would be his best position. He can play RB though.

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Another side were interested in him recently, can't mind who. One of our posters gave a fair description of his time with us:-

To begin with his inclusion screamed of nepotism. He was anonymous most of the time and an empty jersey. He then found a bit of form on the right for us and by the time he got injured he was a loss. If you get the boy we had to begin with it's a terrible signing. If you get the one we ended with (pre injury obviously) then it's a sound bit of business. RM/CM I reckon would be his best position. He can play RB though.

It was Falkirk. And I'd be very disappointed if he was allowed to come to League 1 level and we were not back in for him. Great prospect. I don't remotely agree with Faethebriggs 'empty jersey' comment. Would be a great signing for Cove.

23 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It was Falkirk. And I'd be very disappointed if he was allowed to come to League 1 level and we were not back in for him. Great prospect. I don't remotely agree with Faethebriggs 'empty jersey' comment. Would be a great signing for Cove.

I stand by my "empty jersey" assessment of most of his earlier games with us, or I could rephrase it as him being a liability. I would say if any other young player, and I acknowledge his lack of experience, had put in just a fraction of the poor performances that he did, they wouldn't have got anywhere near as many minutes on the park as he did, coincidence of course that his dad was Manager. I'm happy to give him (Max) credit for his performances later in his spell with us, he was definetely a first pick for the team and was a big miss when he got injured, but anyone who thinks his early form was anything like even approaching meh, must be easily pleased. 

41 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Supposedly Falkirk and Morton were/are still interested according to the news article. Seems to have chosen Cove.

When I heard he was right back it didn't quite make sense as we have Shay Logan, who although is getting on a bit is decent enough for the Championship. By no means the best RB but capable.

If Max can play RM then I can understand him coming to us. If he can give us cover at RB then it's a boost. 

Well fans say he has some pace but better defensively than offensively?

8 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I stand by my "empty jersey" assessment of most of his earlier games with us, or I could rephrase it as him being a liability. I would say if any other young player, and I acknowledge his lack of experience, had put in just a fraction of the poor performances that he did, they wouldn't have got anywhere near as many minutes on the park as he did, coincidence of course that his dad was Manager. I'm happy to give him (Max) credit for his performances later in his spell with us, he was definetely a first pick for the team and was a big miss when he got injured, but anyone who thinks his early form was anything like even approaching meh, must be easily pleased. 

I stand by my assessment of that comment as being completely wrong. He was never at any point from the 1st minute in the team "a liability" and the notion that he only got games because his dad was manager is laughable.

Could not disagree with you more on this.

2 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Supposedly Falkirk and Morton were/are still interested according to the news article. Seems to have chosen Cove.

When I heard he was right back it didn't quite make sense as we have Shay Logan, who although is getting on a bit is decent enough for the Championship. By no means the best RB but capable.

If Max can play RM then I can understand him coming to us. If he can give us cover at RB then it's a boost. 

Well fans say he has some pace but better defensively than offensively?

He certainly has pace. We used him a handful of times as a central midfielder but he's definitely better at right back. I think he played for Scotland 19's at left back but he's all right foot. Took our corners too. Has height so better in the air than most full backs.

My biggest issue with Max Johnston was that he was an automatic pick at right back/right wing back from the moment he arrived at the club meaning that arguably the division's best RB/RWB over the previous 2 seasons (Gibson) was moved into various other positions to accommodate him in that role no matter how poor he was in comparison.  It's fair to say Max's initial performances were very, shall we say, shaky, yet he seemed undroppable which angered the support, but after a short spell in midfield around November he reverted to RB and was a much improved player until his injury and fully deserving of his place.  

Edited by Slipmat

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

I gather the reserves lost 4-2 to Ayr last night.  Did anyone catch the game or know who was in the team?  Any first team stalwarts on show?  New boy from Blackpool get some minutes maybe?

2pm afternoon kick off. Wasn't there but we played a team with no centre backs. Think starting 11 was: Charlie Cowie, Ryan Muir, Rico Quitongo, Jay Burns, Lewis Gibson, Kieran McKechnie, Ben Johnstone, Dom McMahon, Ross Irving, Michael Ruth and Ewan Bange

Scorers Quitongo and an Own Goal.

Subs bench was all boys from the Reserves squad.

On 04/09/2022 at 11:11, qos1990 said:

Seriously worrying about us following Brechins lead now

I was hugely sceptical when we re-signed a significant part of the squad that got us relegated in bottom spot with a dreadful home record thrown in for good measure. We then go out and sign another 4 former players in Wilson, Murray, Reilly and Irving. When you take a step back - it almost seems that we are fishing in a very small pond when it comes to recruitment. It is therefore hardly surprising that we are getting more of the same from this squad.

After the 1-4 defeat from Clyde on the back of the Annan game I must say that my immediate reaction was that this group could take us down and most of the performances since (especially at home) make this a distinct possibility. That would be a truly dreadful outcome for a FT side in League 1 but the threat of our under achievement needs to be taken seriously and addressed immediately.

Hope WG wields the axe for Kelty - starting with Fox in goals and himself the first outfield player on the team sheet. We surely can’t see Cochrane and McGrory as a pairing again in midfield after Saturday and hopefully Bange can  start up top assuming he is decent? Certainly no point in signing loan players if they are not better than what we have already.

I understand the reluctance to play some of younger players at a time when things are going so badly but how many chances do some of these players get. Last season we lost plenty of games but most were by the odd goal - we are now losing games comprehensively - Clyde, Falkirk and Dunfermline beat us easily and if truth be told 0-2 flattered us on Saturday. 

11 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I was hugely sceptical when we re-signed a significant part of the squad that got us relegated in bottom spot with a dreadful home record thrown in for good measure. We then go out and sign another 4 former players in Wilson, Murray, Reilly and Irving. When you take a step back - it almost seems that we are fishing in a very small pond when it comes to recruitment. It is therefore hardly surprising that we are getting more of the same from this squad.

After the 1-4 defeat from Clyde on the back of the Annan game I must say that my immediate reaction was that this group could take us down and most of the performances since (especially at home) make this a distinct possibility. That would be a truly dreadful outcome for a FT side in League 1 but the threat of our under achievement needs to be taken seriously and addressed immediately.

Hope WG wields the axe for Kelty - starting with Fox in goals and himself the first outfield player on the team sheet. We surely can’t see Cochrane and McGrory as a pairing again in midfield after Saturday and hopefully Bange can  start up top assuming he is decent? Certainly no point in signing loan players if they are not better than what we have already.

I understand the reluctance to play some of younger players at a time when things are going so badly but how many chances do some of these players get. Last season we lost plenty of games but most were by the odd goal - we are now losing games comprehensively - Clyde, Falkirk and Dunfermline beat us easily and if truth be told 0-2 flattered us on Saturday. 

Nothing will change till the BOD are willing to invest in the playing squad or even better, disappear.

We would should never have been relegated in the first place. It's not like they didn't have prior warnings with one relegation play off and escaping the drop thanks to COVID not to mention the constant year on year struggle. 

Gibson will be the fall guy but the problem is at the top.

Nothing will change till the BOD are willing to invest in the playing squad or even better, disappear.
We would should never have been relegated in the first place. It's not like they didn't have prior warnings with one relegation play off and escaping the drop thanks to COVID not to mention the constant year on year struggle. 
Gibson will be the fall guy but the problem is at the top.

Our squad is as big this year as it's been for as long as I can remember. Given our shit crowds, dropping down a level and the fact we are the smallest FT side in the country I think they've invested very well in the squad. The quality of the squad doesn't lie at the feet of the BoD though and if they do indeed flop by the end of the season then I'm afraid that fault lies fully on WG's shoulders and he'll rightfully be "the fall guy". There are many things I can find criticism with in regards to the BoD but investing in the first team certainly isn't one of the them.

Pretty much as @19QOS19 has said above.

I really like WG, great club servant and all that.  However, when he took the manager's gig he will have known the budget he had to work with for this season and he could have said no - he didn't, he took it on, he signed the players and so its his squad, and a large squad, so difficult to complain.  Plus the BOD made a significant financial commitment to stay FT this season in order to boost our chances of competing in this league.  So we are where we are ... welcome to the joys of management Wullie!

If we're still in a jam come January then I'd hope that maybe some of the Ibrox £££s could be released to help during the January window, but that dosh is maybe already earmarked for pitch replacement and/or other stadium works.

I hope WG can sort the team out and that it goes well for him.  Time will tell.

21 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Our squad is as big this year as it's been for as long as I can remember. Given our shit crowds, dropping down a level and the fact we are the smallest FT side in the country I think they've invested very well in the squad. The quality of the squad doesn't lie at the feet of the BoD though and if they do indeed flop by the end of the season then I'm afraid that fault lies fully on WG's shoulders and he'll rightfully be "the fall guy". There are many things I can find criticism with in regards to the BoD but investing in the first team certainly isn't one of the them.

It's not the squad depth that's the problem it's the quality of personnel. 

We've had to put up with garbage football especially at home for the last 5 seasons now. 

This period goes beyond questionable management imo. 

The attendance will naturally pick up when the football does. 

It's not the squad depth that's the problem it's the quality of personnel. 
We've had to put up with garbage football especially at home for the last 5 seasons now. 
This period goes beyond questionable management imo. 
The attendance will naturally pick up when the football does. 

Yes it is. But again, the squad is WG responsibility, not the BoD. If he has been given a budget capable of having 28* players then it's up to him to spend that budget appropriately to get the balance of quality and quantity correct. I'm not in the "Sack Gibson!" camp but if we fail to get promoted (or worse) this season then the blame lies with Gibson I'm afraid, not the BoD.

* Granted 4/5 are young lads on peanuts but you get the point.

Good to have some football to talk about again this weekend - even if the likelihood of it being an enjoyable experience is still pretty slim.

In isolation its still only really that Clyde result opening day that stands out as a shocker. Losing at home to Dunfermline and away to Falkirk is disappointing but not of themselves unexpected/unrealistic

That being said I am fast running out of reasons to defend Wullie and the team and we now have a run of fixtures which we need to get a serious points return on if we are to get anywhere this season. 

Next 5 games are Edinburgh (H), Alloa (H), Airdrie (A), Peterhead (H), Clyde (A)  - if we're still on barely a point a game after that then we are in real serious trouble.