The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Did Blount not write off his debt, as did others, post Davy Rae financial f**k up. 

I heard the debt was only to be written off as an arrangement if the new stand was named the Blount stand due to the money the family has put in to pay for it. How true that is I don’t know

16 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

I heard the debt was only to be written off as an arrangement if the new stand was named the Blount stand due to the money the family has put in to pay for it. How true that is I don’t know

Sure the debt was 200k but it was definitely written off what ever it was. 

Re the answer to how much we owe Hewitson; it should be in last year's accounts if someone  knows? -  My point behind this question is if they're not financially propping us up then we don't really have too much to loose if they walked. 

The biggest problem someone taking over isn't the running of the footballing side, It's the poison chalice which is the ground. New pitch by today's money's got to be around a million plus?, the main stand is literally hanging on by a thread. How many million would that need? 

Long term it's needing millions spent on it to get it running for the future. 

1 hour ago, Kunter said:

The biggest problem someone taking over isn't the running of the footballing side, It's the poison chalice which is the ground. New pitch by today's money's got to be around a million plus?, the main stand is literally hanging on by a thread. How many million would that need? 

Long term it's needing millions spent on it to get it running for the future. 

That's the problem, or dilemma, that this Board face, is it worth  spending big money on serious ground improvements when your playing lower League football with smaller crowds and reduced income, and no guarantee of playing at a higher level in the near future, or do you just do cosmetic work to suit the position your currently in. I would rather they spent a reasonable amount of money on the playing side first of all to hopefully get us to a higher level then think about the ground. It's a bit of a Catch 22 situation as to what is the right approach. Granted we do need a new pitch badly, that is about the only main problem at present, but if the substructure of the existing pitch is suitable then only a new, better quality carpet is required to cover it and I don't think it will cost anything like a million plus. 

Exactly this - I am not sure if the majority of  QOS supporters actually realise how serious things are. Some still buy this nonsense that keeps getting peddled …………”we have some real genuine quality in the squad”. Getting comprehensively outplayed at home for an absolute eternity by almost every team that comes calling suggests otherwise to me.

It's no good getting on to the fans for thinking we've got quality in the squad if the Manager is also convinced we have. Until he realises or admits some of his signings have been absolute gash and drops them, then we're not going to make any progress. Wullie probably thought we could play our way UP our of this division with fast, passing football when, in reality, we need a mix of that and some hard working, physical players who can mix it when faced with similar type opposition. Part of the reason we've flirted with relegation for the past few seasons, and are struggling in a lower division now imo, is that we're too soft a team. 
Edit to add: Apologies to Pars fans for concentrating on how bad we were, you were worthy winners yesterday, deserved more from it probably, obvious title favourites if you can keep up that intensity. Don't know what your feeding Todorov on but on that showing he's nothing like the empty jersey that played for us. 

Put them in here rather than overtake the match thread with our complaints. We do have some genuine quality in the squad, maybe not as much as WG claims but there are a good few players in that squad that would comfortably slot in to Championship squads. The problem isn't lack of quality, it's lack of grafters and fighters which is what FTB touches on. We were instantly better yesterday when Wilson came on but we need more than that sadly.

Annan and Clyde came to Palmerston and were excellent. You look through the squad though and there is little footballing ability in there but the difference is they got in our faces, never let us settle and went in for every challenge. We have too many players who want to do the tidy stuff but wont do the dirty side of the game. Sadly good football ability isn't enough in this division and if we don't toughen up as a unit we'll be further down the league than we expect.

The new signing from Blackpool is he injured or not quite ready yet for League 1 football which is it. 

Wullie is starting to sound like AJ in his interviews saying the same thing every week .

We can't hang about this season if no improvement in results in the next 2 games do we continue with Wullie his feel good appointment has long gone.

Seriously worrying about us following Brechins lead now
If we can comfortably beat Peterhead on their patch then I'm fairly confident we won't be finishing last. I actually don't think we'll be finishing 9th either tbh. If we hadn't shown any sign of being decent I'd be as concerned as everyone else but they clearly have ability, it's about getting it from the players regularly. In an ideal world we'll use the money to get in some kind of hard tackling CM. No idea who mind you.

On the plus side, its still early in the season and not yet through the first quarter so still some time to get things right - but the alarm bells are starting to ring.  Someone has pointed out that our next three games are against Kelty, Edinburgh and Alloa who all got decent results yesterday so we could easily fail to win any of those which would be a bad place to be at the end of Q1.  If we're not careful, by New Year our main objective could well be staying in L1 with a secondary long shot of reaching the 4th play-off spot if we're lucky which would be poor return for a full-time squad.

Main problems seem to be our defence and midfield.  We should be trying Fox in goal next week and (needs must) Gibson should start at full back - this is no time to piss about; WG needs to make key decisions here or he'll be out of a job by Xmas.  Midfield is a worry as we don't compete/press and we rely on Wilson for much needed dig who clearly can't get through a season without regular injury absences.  Hard to blame the forwards yet when there is so little coming through from the midfield.  Already the January window looking crucial in these areas.

I see young McKechnie wasn't used again yesterday - was his Airdrie half just a brief cameo?

Lot of talk about the Palmy pitch.  Aye, it's awful - but the fact that we haven't won on it since The Beatles played New York's Shea Stadium seems to hide the fact that plenty other teams that visit appear able to play well enough on it.  So I don't see how we can use that as an excuse.  That's a side show.

I'll be in the Kingdom of Fife next weekend and my current plans have me at a wee place called Kelty on Saturday afternoon - somebody please talk some sense into me quickly FFS!

Edited by Otis Blue

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Put them in here rather than overtake the match thread with our complaints. We do have some genuine quality in the squad, maybe not as much as WG claims but there are a good few players in that squad that would comfortably slot in to Championship squads. The problem isn't lack of quality, it's lack of grafters and fighters which is what FTB touches on. We were instantly better yesterday when Wilson came on but we need more than that sadly.

Annan and Clyde came to Palmerston and were excellent. You look through the squad though and there is little footballing ability in there but the difference is they got in our faces, never let us settle and went in for every challenge. We have too many players who want to do the tidy stuff but wont do the dirty side of the game. Sadly good football ability isn't enough in this division and if we don't toughen up as a unit we'll be further down the league than we expect.

In a footballing context the underlying definition of “quality” is a moot point. Many of our current squad are very lucky to be continually held in high regard by the majority of the long suffering support. Some of them wanted to move on to pastures new in the close season and only Fitzpatrick retained his place at Championship level - he only played a handful of good games for us so no huge loss.

If playing pretty triangles and one:twos where it doesn’t hurt the opposition constitutes “quality” then several of our regulars certainly qualify on that count. Conversely, if quality is measured by creating chances and putting the opposition under severe pressure then I am afraid that this squad is miles off the pace. I dont remember Mehmet having a single safe of note in the first half and the penalty save was possibly the only time he was called upon to distinguish himself in the second half.

I think Gibson is clearly Championship standard and possibly East (although no Championship managers appeared to want him) and beyond those two most of the players we signed were discarded by Championship teams.

I sincerely hope that we see wholesale selection changes and if that means some younger players getting thrown in then so be it. He also has to start all games if fit.

In a footballing context the underlying definition of “quality” is a moot point. Many of our current squad are very lucky to be continually held in high regard by the majority of the long suffering support. Some of them wanted to move on to pastures new in the close season and only Fitzpatrick retained his place at Championship level - he only played a handful of good games for us so no huge loss.
If playing pretty triangles and one:twos where it doesn’t hurt the opposition constitutes “quality” then several of our regulars certainly qualify on that count. Conversely, if quality is measured by creating chances and putting the opposition under severe pressure then I am afraid that this squad is miles off the pace. I dont remember Mehmet having a single safe of note in the first half and the penalty save was possibly the only time he was called upon to distinguish himself in the second half.
I think Gibson is clearly Championship standard and possibly East (although no Championship managers appeared to want him) and beyond those two most of the players we signed were discarded by Championship teams.
I sincerely hope that we see wholesale selection changes and if that means some younger players getting thrown in then so be it. He also has to start all games if fit.

Wilson
Reilly
Gibson
Connelly
East
McGrory

Those 6 would comfortably walk into a Championship side. There are a few others I would say but given they haven't got off to a good start for us I won't make a case for them in this argument. The issue for me isn't the individuals per se. It's the fact we clearly aren't using a system to get the best out of them/are lacking a couple of right mouthpieces/grafters. Gibson needs to get the first part sorted asap. The second part can only come with players either toughening up or another couple of bodies coming in.

You look at Benedictus yesterday barking orders at people and getting stuck into them if they weren't up to standard. I'd kill for a player like that just now. As I say, being pretty on the ball will only get us so far this season, we need to learn quickly that we have to battle with sides or we're in big trouble.

I'm all for youth coming through as well but other than Muir, I don't think any of our young lads will bring that fight to the side either.

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm all for youth coming through as well but other than Muir, I don't think any of our young lads will bring that fight to the side either.

We (well at least I) tend to think of Muir and McMahon as young lads when in reality Muir is only a week younger than Ruth and McMahon just over a week younger than Cochrane.  For some reason despite Wullie's mantra that underperforming players would be dropped and have to fight to regain their places in the team he does seem to be sticking by certain players who haven't been cutting the mustard this season.  If he rated McMahon and Muir enough to award them new contracts maybe he should give them more game time at the expense of say Cochrane and McKenna who play in similar positions but have been generally poor to date.

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Wilson
Reilly
Gibson
Connelly
East
McGrory

Those 6 would comfortably walk into a Championship side. There are a few others I would say but given they haven't got off to a good start for us I won't make a case for them in this argument. The issue for me isn't the individuals per se. It's the fact we clearly aren't using a system to get the best out of them/are lacking a couple of right mouthpieces/grafters. Gibson needs to get the first part sorted asap. The second part can only come with players either toughening up or another couple of bodies coming in.

You look at Benedictus yesterday barking orders at people and getting stuck into them if they weren't up to standard. I'd kill for a player like that just now. As I say, being pretty on the ball will only get us so far this season, we need to learn quickly that we have to battle with sides or we're in big trouble.

I have said we have needed a player like Benedictus for a very long time .

Was hoping for a  Broadfoot or Muirhead type to sign but it never happened. 

Even O,Connor from last season would have been  a massive  upgrade on what we have just now .

Until we get a leader at the back we will struggle far to many nice defenders. 

Have asked this the Blackpool player on loan can we expect to see him next week have to hope he is at least  half as good as Dobbie 

We (well at least I) tend to think of Muir and McMahon as young lads when in reality Muir is only a week younger than Ruth and McMahon just over a week younger than Cochrane.  For some reason despite Wullie's mantra that underperforming players would be dropped and have to fight to regain their places in the team he does seem to be sticking by certain players who haven't been cutting the mustard this season.  If he rated McMahon and Muir enough to award them new contracts maybe he should give them more game time at the expense of say Cochrane and McKenna who play in similar positions but have been generally poor to date.
Aye that's true. Maybe inexperience is a better word than youth/young. I've not seen much of Muir but in the short spell he's looked hungry and capable. He should be getting a look in surely. Seen a wee bit more of McMahon but not lots. In the short spells I've seen him he looks like a busy looking player but I'm not yet convinced he isn't another headless chicken type. It would be good to give these boys a fair crack during the season though to see if they can bring something to the side.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
4 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Aye that's true. Maybe inexperience is a better word than youth/young. I've not seen much of Muir but in the short spell he's looked hungry and capable. He should be getting a look in surely. Seen a wee bit more of McMahon but not lots.

Every time we sign a new player these lads fall further out of the picture. I don't think either player was on the bench yesterday or last saturday.

23 hours ago, Greenacres said:

The new signing from Blackpool is he injured or not quite ready yet for League 1 football which is it. 

Wullie is starting to sound like AJ in his interviews saying the same thing every week .

We can't hang about this season if no improvement in results in the next 2 games do we continue with Wullie his feel good appointment has long gone.

Wullie deserves a little more time hopefully he can turn it round but right now we are miles away fromeven being good enough to stay in League 1. 

Do you actually think before posting? One post you’re wanting to give him time, next post asking if we should get rid. 

Make your mind up.