The Queen of the South thread

You've got to question the pitch at Palmerston. When's the last time it was replaced? Must be a good few years now anyway? In saying that other teams seem to play at Palmerston without any problem. Queens should seriously consider getting back to a grass pitch.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
39 minutes ago, DoonhamerDon said:
Since the football was over so depressingly quickly this afternoon I had a proper look at our home form relative to others and it is not only longer-running than I appreciated but actually "worst in the country" levels of terrible emoji51.png
Since the start of 2019/20 we've managed 47 points at home in the league from 48 games.
2019/20 - 14 pts from 14 games
2020/21 - 15 pts from 13 games
2021/22 - 17 pts from 18 games
2022/23 - 1pt from 3 games
AFAICS no other team (still) in SPFL has fewer points over that period at home. Only Hamilton have less points per game but played more during Covid when in the Prem. 
Kelty actually have more points in 21 home games since joining the league than our 48 game effort.

Appalling stuff. We have some right moaning faced arseholes in our support - myself included at times. But Palmerston is far from a toxic place to play football (unless you're a goalkeeper) so I don't think the fans are the issue. The pitch is absolutely appalling, bobbles and bounces all over the place, is forever getting stuck in the players feet. Is it just a poor quality pitch or been badly maintained/overused? It may well be the biggest factor as to why our home form is so poor. However, you can't blame a shite pitch for poor marking and a lethargic approach to games. Our lack of sharpness is what let us down today and in most home games this season. Absolutely abysmal starts to games at times this season.

It's a truly staggeringly bad record and a pretty awful pitch.

I struggle to see an obvious connection though.  Logic would tell you that if the pitch plays differently from most other ones, that should actually favour us as we get to play on it more often.  

That was certainly the wisdom when Luton and Oldham excelled on their dodgy pitches back in the day.

As you say too, it's not as if our fans create a particularly unforgiving pressure cooker of an atmosphere either, is it?  

It is an appalling record though, and it now feels self fulfilling.  I'd stupidly assumed dropping a division might break the spell.  I don't fancy testing the theory further next season though.

This team and board are lucky we arnt like a Falkirk or Dunfermline etc and hound players or boo them/managers beyond belief for the shite we have seen at Palmerston last 3 or 4 years. Support very tame at getting properly stuck in. Now though folk have had enough.

35 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:

This team and board are lucky we arnt like a Falkirk or Dunfermline etc and hound players or boo them/managers beyond belief for the shite we have seen at Palmerston last 3 or 4 years. Support very tame at getting properly stuck in. Now though folk have had enough.

Time for Hewitson to step aside, I think it's highly possible that someone would be interested in coming on board if Hewitson wasn't chairman. Queens are punching below there capabilities. 

57 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Appalling stuff. We have some right moaning faced arseholes in our support - myself included at times. But Palmerston is far from a toxic place to play football (unless you're a goalkeeper) so I don't think the fans are the issue. The pitch is absolutely appalling, bobbles and bounces all over the place, is forever getting stuck in the players feet. Is it just a poor quality pitch or been badly maintained/overused? It may well be the biggest factor as to why our home form is so poor. However, you can't blame a shite pitch for poor marking and a lethargic approach to games. Our lack of sharpness is what let us down today and in most home games this season. Absolutely abysmal starts to games at times this season.

Agree it's a terrible pitch which makes it all the more maddening that opposition teams manage to pass the ball better,  control the ball better and read the bounce better than most of our players. The pitch has become a bit of an easy excuse for poor displays and  as we play on it more, and sometimes train on it our players should be more familiar with its traits. Basically we are a soft team to play against, too easy brushed off the ball, haven't got that "nasty" side to our game to rile opposition players and break up attacks. Give us time and room and we'll look good but get in our faces, rough us up a bit and we'll hide. As bad as the pitch is it's not wholly to blame for our inept home form.

1 minute ago, QoS99 said:

Beyond angry right now with the football, just at a point of numbness. The club is in complete free fall and I don’t know how we put a stop to it.

Fans vote with their feet and stop going to the games and demonstrate outside the main stand...

Just now, TERREGLES1919 said:

Fans vote with their feet and stop going to the games and demonstrate outside the main stand...

We are getting well below a 1000 home crowd now? Fans are already staying away, and you can’t blame them

1 minute ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

As someone mentioned earlier, there's surely some interested parties if/when Hewitson and his cohorts sail away down Solway Firth.

If you can name one interested party who actually wants to take the club on then fair enough. If there was anyone it would have happened already after the relegation, it’s not exactly the most lucrative area of business owning a local football team at the minute. The board have already expressed they would be willing to step aside if someone is willing to take over, but yet here we are..

15 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

If you can name one interested party who actually wants to take the club on then fair enough. If there was anyone it would have happened already after the relegation, it’s not exactly the most lucrative area of business owning a local football team at the minute. The board have already expressed they would be willing to step aside if someone is willing to take over, but yet here we are..

Well look at the model of the likes of Morton. Supporters running the club in a fans takeover...

3 hours ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Since the football was over so depressingly quickly this afternoon I had a proper look at our home form relative to others and it is not only longer-running than I appreciated but actually "worst in the country" levels of terrible 😬

Since the start of 2019/20 we've managed 47 points at home in the league from 48 games.

2019/20 - 14 pts from 14 games

2020/21 - 15 pts from 13 games

2021/22 - 17 pts from 18 games

2022/23 - 1pt from 3 games

AFAICS no other team (still) in SPFL has fewer points over that period at home. Only Hamilton have less points per game but played more during Covid when in the Prem. 

Kelty actually have more points in 21 home games since joining the league than our 48 game effort.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Agree it's a terrible pitch which makes it all the more maddening that opposition teams manage to pass the ball better,  control the ball better and read the bounce better than most of our players. The pitch has become a bit of an easy excuse for poor displays and  as we play on it more, and sometimes train on it our players should be more familiar with its traits. 

Here's a novel suggestion.  With the pitch having his own, em, "unique" qualities, in the week leading up to a home game, why don't we actually use some of the cash stash we have apparently accumulated to ferry the central belt players down to Dumfries (and here's the controversial bit) to train on the actual pitch they're going to be playing on?  They are full-time, professional players so don't have to worry about taking time off from other jobs, and most businesses don't choose their work premises based on where their employees live but vice versa.  It's not as if the pitch is block booked day-in day-out, and it may even mean - but I wouldn't hold my breath on this - that our players actually get to know the pitch's foibles and can use them to their advantage.

I know, I know, shoot me down in flames for airing such a leftfield, crazy idea.

18 minutes ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

Well look at the model of the likes of Morton. Supporters running the club in a fans takeover...

Morton who have less season ticket holders than us and don’t have two penny’s to rub together? Yes the board made the right appointment with Imrie, but I wouldn’t use morton as an example of a successful ownership 

Here's a novel suggestion.  With the pitch having his own, em, "unique" qualities, in the week leading up to a home game, why don't we actually use some of the cash stash we have apparently accumulated to ferry the central belt players down to Dumfries (and here's the controversial bit) to train on the actual pitch they're going to be playing on?  They are full-time, professional players so don't have to worry about taking time off from other jobs, and most businesses don't choose their work premises based on where their employees live but vice versa.  It's not as if the pitch is block booked day-in day-out, and it may even mean - but I wouldn't hold my breath on this - that our players actually get to know the pitch's foibles and can use them to their advantage.
I know, I know, shoot me down in flames for airing such a leftfield, crazy idea.

As I said, it's an awful surface but our lethargic approach to games has nothing to do with the pitch. We really need a leader on the park who isn't scared to give other players a rollicking for being off it. I don't think there is anyone like that in our squad. Perhaps Connelly, he seems quite outspoken.

37 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

If they walked away tomorrow how much would the club owe them financially? 

3 minutes ago, Kunter said:

If they walked away tomorrow how much would the club owe them financially? 

I’ve heard they wouldn’t even want money for it if they could find someone to take over tomorrow, how much is exactly owed to the directors I’m not too sure. The club certainly owes money to Blount though 

Just now, QoS99 said:

I’ve heard they wouldn’t even want money for it if they could find someone to take over tomorrow, how much is exactly owed to the directors I’m not too sure. The club certainly owes money to Blount though 

Did Blount not write off his debt, as did others, post Davy Rae financial f**k up.