The Queen of the South thread

10 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

That sounds really good. Lets be honest, though, its not something the Board are going to do... Which really leads us back to the same problem of not enough people.

There's the f*cking problem though!

Apologies for getting exercised, I am not holding you accountable for it, I just find it so crazy how obvious the problem is to everyone. We need more people. And to get those people we need one of the board to do a bit of work on recruitment. And there's not a chance in hell any of them are going to do it!!!

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

13 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

I genuinely dont know how they can do it and we cant. Maybe they got lucky, like we have over the past 10 years or so, or like someone like East Fife did with their streaming which is done by a couple of fans who just do it for the love of it.

I'm surprised the groundswell in positivity over the summer hasn't resulted in more offers to get involved. Also a shame. 

Hope this isn't too obviously promoting my site (but it is!). My site at http://www.qosfan.co.uk has a live update on the front page at home games. Just the team, scorers, cards and occasional comments.

I also do a report on home games.

I've never wanted to be "Official" as I can say things as an Unofficial site that you'd never get away with on an Official Site.

That's http://www.qosfan.co.uk in case you missed it [emoji14].

We made a last minute decision to travel down to Dumfries today, despite the rail strike, as my son was keen to attend the first match of the new league season. Even before today’s trip, I was far from convinced that the squad we’ve assembled has the quality or the depth to contend for the title, but  my son was much more optimistic (he’s young enough not to be scarred by the past). However, the collision between unrealistically high expectations and the hard evidence of our collective shortcomings was more traumatic than even I could have imagined.

A few impressions: I managed to purchase tickets online en route to the game, and promptly received the QR codes, so no issues there, or at the turnstiles. Seems like a decent ticketing system. That’s the the good news. All of it.

45 minutes before kick-off until half past two, we were checking Queens official twitter updates for the starting lineups, hitting refresh continually until we gave up and downloaded the Sky Sports app, which duly gave us the teams. Lack of volunteers seems to be the problem. Any other business would employ someone to look after social media, but football clubs seem to rely on people donating their services for nothing. If only we had some spare cash in the bank to pay people (at least) minimum wage to do jobs that desperately need done…

My son wanted some chips before the game started, so I went to the catering kiosk with my card at the ready, only to be greeted with a ‘cash only’ sign. In the modern post-pandemic world, almost no-one uses cash anymore. Just how hard can it be to get a card machine (and/or functional wi-fi if that’s the problem)? Most businesses are in the process of phasing out cash entirely, so demanding ‘cash only’ seems antediluvian to say the least. 

The artificial pitch looked as barren and hostile a surface as ever - I can’t imagine Messrs Armstrong and Aldrin were greeted by a much less hospitable surface on their arrival on the Moon.

In my attempts to gain some online info about the match, I spotted stadium announcer Alex’s Facebook update that part of the main stand had been closed due to the discovery of a wasps’ nest. Fairly soon, I’m sure we can look forward to the closure of the entire antiquated fire hazard for good.

Before the match, a Clyde supporter had asked me where to go to gain admission to the ‘Clyde end’, as if such a thing existed. Fan segregation is clearly optional at Palmerston, with absolutely no attempt at enforcement. We had a group of Clyde fans sitting directly behind us in the middle of the ‘new’ stand, albeit without colours on show, as an increasingly steady flow of their (often well-lubricated and increasingly mouthy) contingent passed back and forward for chips and refreshments all game, in addition to their forcibly-ejected colleague. Wasting an afternoon watching that match was bad enough without having to spend the entire duration in the company of Clyde’s brightest and best.

As far as the game goes, Queens were beyond dismal. I can’t think of a single positive thing to say about that performance. In the run up to the new season, as some were waxing lyrical about the quality of our squad and our chances of promotion, I remained unconvinced that retaining a hefty contingent of last season’s failures, supplemented by a few mostly uninspiring signings, was going to be sufficient to place us firmly in the promotion mix, even taking into account the drop in standard, but I could never have imagined we’d be quite this bad.

I would hesitate to call this a ‘wake-up call’, as I doubt the majority of these Rip Van Winkles could be woken from their slumbers by a category 5 hurricane - if anything it’s a sharp dose of reality puncturing unrealistic expectations. The defence was atrocious; the midfield anonymous; the diminutive forward line lacked presence, pace and power, and the whole team looked lightweight and lost. Clyde were stronger, sharper, more physical and harder working. I thought at half time that things could only improve in the second half, as the first period was the most abject performance I’ve seen from a Queens team in years, falling below even last season’s dismally low standards, but the second, apart from a brief spell of urgency just after the restart, was almost as bad, compounded by Connelly’s daft sending off. Outmuscled, outfought and outplayed, all afternoon long. 

Let’s hope Wilson, Reilly and Ruth (and Todd) make a difference when they come back from injury, but as I said a few weeks ago, I suspect we’re at least 2-3 key signings away from having a team and a squad that can compete at the top end of this league. Let’s hope the board are thinking about investing some of that Rangers windfall in the playing pool, otherwise it’s going to be a very long and difficult season.

It was a thoroughly deflating experience being at Palmerston today, with the last remnant of pre-match optimism evaporating well before half time. The distinct impression I got today, and that I’ve had for a while, is that Queens are a team and a club in freefall, and sadly I doubt we’ve reached the bottom yet.

Edited by Frankie S

Well today was a major shock to the system. 

Defensively we need to be stronger. P.Mckay let a 5ft forward bully him. D McKay played similar to the Annan game and need to be more aggressive. Big McKenna is having a tough time just now he looks like a player that plays on confidence let's get behind him I heard some stupid shouts at him today. When McGrory went off Cochrane should have dropped in to his position but did not have that discipline. Connelly was a disgrace with his sending off total indiscipline. Murray is such a good player but only drifts in and out of games let's get the ball to him a lott more often. Maybe with Connelly suspended he might see a lot more of the ball. After the managers interview there might be a few changes next sat with Reilly Ruth and Wilson and hopefully Todd available.  Paton needs a partner upfront. I thought he had a couple of chances today and the way he played I would not have him taking the penalty. Thankfully it is only the first game. A special mention to all the Clyde fans who made total arses of themselves with the disabled fan in the stand. Ridiculous 

Edited by Manwithnoball

32 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

45 minutes before kick-off until half past two, we were checking Queens official twitter updates for the starting lineups, hitting refresh continually until we gave up and downloaded the Sky Sports app, which duly gave us the teams. Lack of volunteers seems to be the problem. Any other business would employ someone to look after social media, but football clubs seem to rely on people donating their services for nothing.

To avoid being someone who just snipes from the sidelines offering nothing constructive, I’ll happily arrange for one of my businesses to sponsor and cover a proportion of the costs of a new recruit to handle social media at the club. DM me if this is of interest.

38 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

We made a last minute decision to travel down to Dumfries today, despite the rail strike, as my son was keen to attend the first match of the new league season. Even before today’s trip, I was far from convinced that the squad we’ve assembled has the quality or the depth to contend for the title, but  my son was much more optimistic (he’s young enough not to be scarred by the past). However, the collision between unrealistically high expectations and the hard evidence of our collective shortcomings was more traumatic than even I could have imagined.

A few impressions: I managed to purchase tickets online en route to the game, and promptly received the QR codes, so no issues there, or at the turnstiles. Seems like a decent ticketing system. That’s the the good news. All of it.

45 minutes before kick-off until half past two, we were checking Queens official twitter updates for the starting lineups, hitting refresh continually until we gave up and downloaded the Sky Sports app, which duly gave us the teams. Lack of volunteers seems to be the problem. Any other business would employ someone to look after social media, but football clubs seem to rely on people donating their services for nothing. If only we had some spare cash in the bank to pay people (at least) minimum wage to do jobs that desperately need done…

My son wanted some chips before the game started, so I went to the catering kiosk with my card at the ready, only to be greeted with a ‘cash only’ sign. In the modern post-pandemic world, almost no-one uses cash anymore. Just how hard can it be to get a card machine (and/or functional wi-fi if that’s the problem)? Most businesses are in the process of phasing out cash entirely, so demanding ‘cash only’ seems antediluvian to say the least. 

The artificial pitch looked as barren and hostile a surface as ever - I can’t imagine Messrs Armstrong and Aldrin were greeted by a much less hospitable surface on their arrival on the Moon.

In my attempts to gain some online info about the match, I spotted stadium announcer Alex’s Facebook update that part of the main stand had been closed due to the discovery of a wasps’ nest. Fairly soon, I’m sure we can look forward to the closure of the entire antiquated fire hazard for good.

Before the match, a Clyde supporter had asked me where to go to gain admission to the ‘Clyde end’, as if such a thing existed. Fan segregation is clearly optional at Palmerston, with absolutely no attempt at enforcement. We had a group of Clyde fans sitting directly behind us in the middle of the ‘new’ stand, albeit without colours on show, as an increasingly steady flow of their (often well-lubricated and increasingly mouthy) contingent passed back and forward for chips and refreshments all game, in addition to their forcibly-ejected colleague. Wasting an afternoon watching that match was bad enough without having to spend the entire duration in the company of Clyde’s brightest and best.

As far as the game goes, Queens were beyond dismal. I can’t think of a single positive thing to say about that performance. In the run up to the new season, as some were waxing lyrical about the quality of our squad and our chances of promotion, I remained unconvinced that retaining a hefty contingent of last season’s failures, supplemented by a few mostly uninspiring signings, was going to be sufficient to place us firmly in the promotion mix, even taking into account the drop in standard, but I could never have imagined we’d be quite this bad.

I would hesitate to call this a ‘wake-up call’, as I doubt the majority of these Rip Van Winkles could be woken from their slumbers by a category 5 hurricane - if anything it’s a sharp dose of reality puncturing unrealistic expectations. The defence was atrocious; the midfield anonymous; the diminutive forward line lacked presence, pace and power, and the whole team looked lightweight and lost. Clyde were stronger, sharper, more physical and harder working. I thought at half time that things could only improve in the second half, as the first period was the most abject performance I’ve seen from a Queens team in years, falling below even last season’s dismally low standards, but the second, apart from a brief spell of urgency just after the restart, was almost as bad, compounded by Connelly’s daft sending off. Outmuscled, outfought and outplayed, all afternoon long. 

Let’s hope Wilson, Reilly and Ruth (and Todd) make a difference when they come back from injury, but as I said a few weeks ago, I suspect we’re at least 2-3 key signings away from having a team and a squad that can compete at the top end of this league. Let’s hope the board are thinking about investing some of that Rangers windfall in the playing pool, otherwise it’s going to be a very long and difficult season.

It was a thoroughly deflating experience being at Palmerston today, with the last remnant of pre-match optimism evaporating well before half time. The distinct impression I got today, and that I’ve had for a while, is that Queens are a team and a club in freefall, and sadly I doubt we’ve reached the bottom yet.

Big greenie for what must surely be the first use of the word "antediluvian" on P&B.

25 minutes ago, queenslad said:

How does the opening goal stand in all time quickest goal at Palmerston? It must the quickest earliest goal in a league season at Palmerston. Anyone get a time on it?

I would guess about 20 seconds. I heard the whistle for kick off as I was approaching the turnstile and the cheer just as I was getting in.

I missed yesterday, but it sounds like another typically rotten Palmerston display.

To pick up on a recent theme, it's another example of Queens having a disastrous and costly end to a game.  Obviously, we were already losing as we entered the last ten minutes this time, but to contrive during that spell to miss the chance to grab an undeserved draw with a penalty, get one of our better players sent off and suspended, and also to lose a further two goals, takes some doing.  

All 3 competitive home games so far, have see us sustain late damage.  We seem as brittle as ever.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

14 hours ago, Rouky said:

I'm pretty sure if you look at the board, the answer is there, I know of people who won't be at Palmerston until Hewitson is out the door and businesses who won't entertain doing business with Queen's due to Hewitson's presence, but even with this I would have thought someone would be willing. 

Hewitson is a cancer of this club. It's being painfully destroyed by his presence - yet fan power is doing nothing about it. 

Few years back this would have seen visible banners and chants. No one seems to have the energy to care. 

Hewitson is a cancer of this club. It's being painfully destroyed by his presence - yet fan power is doing nothing about it. 
Few years back this would have seen visible banners and chants. No one seems to have the energy to care. 

Been said to death by me but QoS fans are generally a pleasant bunch. Even at games it's generic boos rather than anything toxic (which I'm not complaining about). But they'll do their talking walking. Our core home support has dropped considerably over the last few years so something has gone wrong. I thought yesterday's attendance was pretty shit considering the general feeling around the place before kick off. I think that may well be a result of the fan power you're after.

To add an additional moan. Went into a cubicle and the seat was hanging off yesterday. Is this shit not checked, particularly before the first game of the season? I love Palmerston but it's sad to see how much certain parts of it are being neglected.

Guest Flash

Last time Queens were in this division, it took until 5 January, and 10 games, for them to concede a total of 4 league goals at home.
It took until 19 January and 15 games to concede a total of 9 goals at home in all competitions, something they have managed in 3 games this season. The 15 games also included 2 games against Premier League opposition (eta where they conceded 1 goal).

Edited by Flash

33 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, Alex Nesovic said:
What's been said? Is it in Gibson's video?

Aye Gibson said it's not looking good for him and his ankle is (was) 6 times the size it should be.

Without wishing to downplay McGrory's injury, I'm never going to seek a medical opinion from Wullie as an ankle 6 times the size it should be would make it about the same size as the whole of his foot!

On a more serious note, given the available midfield options it looks likely that Wullie will be starting again next week.  His own form is still in the dip which started when he became manager in my opinion and I'd much rather that in being the manager he wasn't the go-to choice whenever a place needs filled due to injury.

It will be interesting to see if he keeps his promise to drop players who aren't peforming well as McKenna had a total nightmare yesterday - next week could be time to give Muir a start.

Edited by Slipmat

In a desperate attempt to report some positivity from yesterday, it was good to see that Charlie Cowie kept a clean sheet for Gartcairn and Naylor, Oram and Shaw all got their names on the scoresheet at their respective loan clubs.

I know, clutching at straws...