The Queen of the South thread

29 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Why have you lot not been putting up any match highlights this cup, is the cameraman still on his jollies?

We are getting highlights released from the game on Saturday, no idea why not for the other games though

Was impressed with our play on Saturday. A continuation of passing the ball and only into area when no other options. I agree Annan was a blip that could possibly see us miss out on qualifying. We had notable performances on Saturday. Thought Dave McKay was excellent all game and was more aggressive than before. Though McKenna was good on Saturday pushing forward and supporting attacks. Good to see Wilson back in as he gives us a physicality that our other midfielders do not give but he is a few weeks behind in sharpness and look knackered at the end. Currie had a couple of cracking saves from the penalties and we dispatched all of our with ease. Paton is like a new signing this year physically very strong and very good link up play. He is leading line very well with the extended absences of Reilly and Ruth. Connelly is a far better player supporting the forward and should weigh in with a good few goals this season. Don't imagine Ayr will want to do us any favours but they really need a win to kickstart their season so hoping they give Annan a game and leave us with a chance of qualify. 

Regarding the give players a new contract a think we had the same conversation last year. So lets see how the season pans out.

34 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Regarding the give players a new contract a think we had the same conversation last year. So lets see how the season pans out.

Totally this.

The clamour to offer extensions to people the moment they do something right - seemingly overriding anything that's gone before - tends to be premature.

Guest Flash
13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Totally this.

The clamour to offer extensions to people the moment they do something right - seemingly overriding anything that's gone before - tends to be premature.

And the club won’t know what its income is likely to be next season because they don’t know what division they will be in. The prize money in League 1 isn’t great - for example 3rd in L1 gets half the amount bottom of the Championship gets. Even winning L1 gets half of finishing 5th in the Championship. And the crowds will be lower in L1 than in the Championship, probably even worse next season of we don’t go up.
Even if the club knows what it can offer, why would a player sign a deal in October, for example, if they know they can wait a couple of months to see what they can get elsewhere? And if they don’t get anything better then, they’re still likely to wait until the end of the season because it is unlikely that Queens would withdraw the offer unless the player started to not play well. In which case they would be no great loss anyway.
The other point is, Gibson might be away at (or before) the end of the season if we do particularly well or particularly badly.

Was reading a comment about the crowds been lower in league one . 
well I think this will be wrong as I think if we do well we will get 1200-1500 home supporters most games .

then we have Dunfermline, Falkirk ,airdrie ,Clyde, who will bring a few hundred maybe depending on there league position . 
i can even imagine 3000 plus crowd against Dunfermline or Falkirk in a top of league clash . 
ps hope Falkirk struggle thou 😜

Was reading a comment about the crowds been lower in league one . 
well I think this will be wrong as I think if we do well we will get 1200-1500 home supporters most games .
then we have Dunfermline, Falkirk ,airdrie ,Clyde, who will bring a few hundred maybe depending on there league position . 
i can even imagine 3000 plus crowd against Dunfermline or Falkirk in a top of league clash . 
ps hope Falkirk struggle thou [emoji12]

Clyde's attendance on Saturday was about 400. If they bring 200 here I'll be gobsmacked.

48 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Clyde's attendance on Saturday was about 400. If they bring 200 here I'll be gobsmacked.

Agreed.  Clyde's fan base has sadly diminished since their departure from their native Rutherglen and their fairly nomadic existence since then.  We'll get the true fans travelling but they won't be in large numbers.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

The other point is, Gibson might be away at (or before) the end of the season if we do particularly well or particularly badly.

Very true @Flash.  The joy of following fitba at this level.

If he fails, then you can't blame the club for ditching him.

If he succeeds, then you can't blame Gibson for being ambitious and taking a better offer that would surely come his way.

Building continuity isn't easy is it?

Agreed.  Clyde's fan base has sadly diminished since their departure from their native Rutherglen and their fairly nomadic existence since then.  We'll get the true fans travelling but they won't be in large numbers.
I'll be honest, I'm glad they're so poorly supported. A club that signs a rapist get all the shit luck they deserve IMO.

On 17/07/2022 at 10:12, 19QOS19 said:

It happened after the game had finished. I'm not sure what it has to do with anyone at the club at this point. The only people to blame for the cost to the taxpayer are the wee fannies who caused all the trouble.

Everyone at the game was safe. Unless I missed an incident.

I wasn't blaming anyone at the Club, not sure how you came to that conclusion. It was the Police Operation that failed. For decades there has been a Police presence around that area before and after games  for  obvious reasons.

The last few times Ayr have been in town they have been looking for trouble and have actually been monitored closely by the Police from when they arrived and thereafter.  This would / should have been designated a 'High Risk' game with potential for trouble. The risk doesn't disappear when the final whistle blows. Indeed it probably increases.  Not sure why the same plan was not implemented.

Of course, I do agree that it was those causing the bother that are really to blame.  My information is that it was instigated by Ayr group and locals had to defend themselves.

Nothing spectacular but happy to have Irving back. Thought he looked handy enough in the brief spells I watched him last time. Pacy striker who should hopefully fit in well with Gibson's style.

WG suggested Irving shouldn't have been let go in the first place.  It will be interesting to see, as the season progresses, whether we got rid of some local lads too quickly and who are doing well at Annan. I also hope Charlie Cowie gets a good loan club to help in his development.

Nothing spectacular but happy to have Irving back. Thought he looked handy enough in the brief spells I watched him last time. Pacy striker who should hopefully fit in well with Gibson's style.
Unsure for me but lets see how it goes.

1 hour ago, QosLoyal said:
1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Unsure for me but lets see how it goes.

Does  Irving have the quality we need time will tell not sure he has but WG must see something in him .

The goalkeeper Aberdeen will not loan him out to just sit on the bench good to put pressure on Currie he will have to up his game to stay first choice .

Is that the squad complete now  or are we still to replace Fitzpatrick .