The Queen of the South thread

I was raging on Saturday but fair play that’s quite a reaction tonight!
Aye great to see. A good solid win tonight with a clean sheet. Annan drawing up at St Johnstone as well. Perhaps folk can dry their knickers for now.

Much, much better tonight.  Todd, McGrory & Cochrane controlled the middle of the park so if the defenders can concentrate on playing it short to those three instead of lumping the ball up to our "wee" front men we could hurt teams.  Defenders were iffy first half but tightened it up second, and I thought Ryan Muir looked the part when he came on.

MOTM was Currie though.  I thought he looked a wee bit dodgy on previous viewing, but he stopped absolutely everything thrown at him tonight.

Aye would agree with all of this. Think Rico deserves some praise too.

Much, much better tonight.  Todd, McGrory & Cochrane controlled the middle of the park so if the defenders can concentrate on playing it short to those three instead of lumping the ball up to our "wee" front men we could hurt teams.  Defenders were iffy first half but tightened it up second, and I thought Ryan Muir looked the part when he came on.
MOTM was Currie though.  I thought he looked a wee bit dodgy on previous viewing, but he stopped absolutely everything thrown at him tonight.

Aye but at least the "Get the baw up the park!!" brigade will sleep easy tonight as well. Good to hear Currie did well.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye but at least the "Get the baw up the park!!" brigade will sleep easy tonight as well. Good to hear Currie did well.

I thought he dealt with everything fine after a shakeyish start. Most was pretty routine though I felt. Our back 4 are the definition of a work in progress, I don’t think the constant changing is helping. Thought quitongo was pish first half tbh, but improved like rest of defence second half. McGrory I thought was best player on park for us, passing was superb and controlled it, Cochrane started slowly but came into it and put a shift in, but the performance McGrory is what I thought we’d get from HC. Front four are frightening in that form, some great interchanges. Paton might not always score but what a shift. 

Still feel we are couple of bodies short, slowly but surely injured players be coming back so encouraging as I see 3 as first teamers straight away. 

what a sight to see three local boys come on tonight and look the part. I think they could have a big part to play over the season. What a difference to see young boys come on and influence the game. I thought Ryan Muir did really well, McMahon looked at home and Lewis Gibson in his brief cameo also continues to impress

Much better tonight - delighted the back 3 was ditched. Not sure how Ayr failed to score - over 20 shots and at least 3 chances where it looked easier to score. That said we created plenty chances and some of our link up play was outstanding. McGrory and Paton were terrific and Currie probably needed a good performance after Saturday and certainly delivered. Thought we looked vulnerable in central defence   
and it was too easy for Ayr to get into dangerous positions.

I really liked the look of Ryan Muir on his brief Hamilton appearance and he really looks a player. Must be in contention to start on Saturday or if not very close to it. Great to see McMahon  and Gibson also featuring. 

These early season League Cup results are always a bit mad, eh?  Still, good to see some positives from last night's result at Ayr.  Think we need to not get too carried away though with Ayr having over 20 shots and hitting the frame twice and one off the line apparently - so the clean sheet was probably a bit on the lucky side.  Good to hear that Currie had a decent game - good for his confidence, which is key for keepers.  Great to see us being creative and scoring three against a Championship side though - albeit one that will probably struggle during the season ahead.  Keep it going WG!

Am unsure how Ayr didn't score from that stramash in the box in the first half and the chance where they were about a yard out in second half and Currie saved.

Much better tonight - delighted the back 3 was ditched. Not sure how Ayr failed to score - over 20 shots and at least 3 chances where it looked easier to score. That said we created plenty chances and some of our link up play was outstanding. McGrory and Paton were terrific and Currie probably needed a good performance after Saturday and certainly delivered. Thought we looked vulnerable in central defence   
and it was too easy for Ayr to get into dangerous positions.
I really liked the look of Ryan Muir on his brief Hamilton appearance and he really looks a player. Must be in contention to start on Saturday or if not very close to it. Great to see McMahon  and Gibson also featuring. 

Have to say that was a huge improvement of Saturday. The work rate itself was increased dramatically. I said after Saturday Toddy is so much more influential in the wide left and it so much more at home there. Have to agree thought McGrory and Cochrane were very good in midfield and dictated the game for us. Good switches of play and quick passing to feet and space. Paton put in a cracking shift without seeing a lot of the ball until last 20 minutes when game stretched. Every player had a positive impact on our result. I agree with WG defence has to be more physical in there approach they are big lads and should you their physical ability. Muir, Gibson and McMahon will assist as the season goes on. Ayr were a big side compared to us and but it made no difference as they could not get close to us at times. Currie had a really good game and had a few good saves as well and some good reactions. All in all happy with that St Johnstone will be a totally different proposition on Saturday I would imagine du to their poor start last night. 

I thought we were great last night, but as RJC88 said, Ayr had over 20 shots and I don't know how they missed with some of them. I thought Max had a bit of a shaky start but by the end of the game he was possibly man of the match. We probably rode our luck at times, but how often have we been the team missing all the chances. 

To catch the train at 2147 and not miss any of the game I had to leave after 85 minutes and ran up to the home end, from which fans were streaming out, to watch the last few minutes. It was fairly quiet and almost lonely by this time.

I caught the train ok, lots of Ayr fans already at the station, but, as Part time supporter mentioned in an earlier post, and not due to any cancelled trains this time, I was still on the same train as Saturday night, but this time managed to get home at 0115, but a much happier journey home.

Roll on Saturday and thanks to Annan for now giving us a chance to still win the group, although maybe they are the favourites now, with 2 home games aginst Ayr and Elgin.

Aye train times a pain.

I left right as the referee blew for the final whistle and just made it to station as train pulling in.

I thought we were great last night, but as RJC88 said, Ayr had over 20 shots and I don't know how they missed with some of them. I thought Max had a bit of a shaky start but by the end of the game he was possibly man of the match. We probably rode our luck at times, but how often have we been the team missing all the chances. 
To catch the train at 2147 and not miss any of the game I had to leave after 85 minutes and ran up to the home end, from which fans were streaming out, to watch the last few minutes. It was fairly quiet and almost lonely by this time.

I caught the train ok, lots of Ayr fans already at the station, but, as Part time supporter mentioned in an earlier post, and not due to any cancelled trains this time, I was still on the same train as Saturday night, but this time managed to get home at 0115, but a much happier journey home.

Roll on Saturday and thanks to Annan for now giving us a chance to still win the group, although maybe they are the favourites now, with 2 home games aginst Ayr and Elgin.

21 hours ago, Parttimesupporter said:

Pleasantly surprised to get an e-mail this morning from the Commercial Team thanking me for attending the game on Saturday*, and giving details of how to buy tickets for the remaining games.  Another small sign that the Club seem to be getting their act together.

* Ironically I didn't attend the game due to multiple trains being cancelled.  Giving up was one of my better decisions, as my travelling companion decided to give it a go and got back to his home in Embra at 1.21 am 😅

Likewise.  

A nice thank you and a link to buy tickets for our next home match. So simple but affective.   

2 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

All in all happy with that St Johnstone will be a totally different proposition on Saturday I would imagine du to their poor start last night. 

Don't bet on it. That's now 4 games against lower league sides in a row with 0 victories.

We'll play 3-4-3 with 3/4 out of position and a couple of half fit attackers in their mid-30s as our only hope. Every attack will involve 10+ passes between WB and CB then a cross.

If you can defend crosses then you'll keep a clean sheet. If you have someone with pace on the right flank you'll expose all match with a ball into that channel.