The Queen of the South thread

48 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Hello doonhamers, I'm looking forward to a wee visit to Palmerston this season, possibly generalising here but always thought you were a pretty hospitable bunch..

Aye, will be good to see some new faces for a change. Sadly, we've been far too hospitable at Palmy over the last few seasons... or at least our (lack of) defence has!

Do make sure you don't do anything silly like firing crosses into our box, eh? .... There's a good chap.

Edited by Otis Blue

12 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye, will be good to see some new faces for a change. Sadly, we've been far too hospitable at Palmy over the last few seasons... or at least our (lack of) defence has!

Do make sure you don't do anything silly like firing crosses into our box, eh? .... There's a good chap.

Statistically do we really lose more goals from corners/crosses into our box than any other team, or is it just that we highlight it more? 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Statistically do we really lose more goals from corners/crosses into our box than any other team, or is it just that we highlight it more? 

The data will be there somewhere, I'm sure, but I don't have the inclination to find it!

What is definitely true is that last season we shipped more goals than any other team in our league fullstop. Those lost from corners and crosses were only part of the problem. We certainly had lots of problems last season!!

Edited by Riviera711

Aye, I'm sure its more of the latter - ie just a feeling we've built up over recent seasons - @Flash might have some stats to back this up or otherwise.  We probably weren't too bad at defending crosses this season (more avoidable screw-ups and needless stupid penalties), but in the past we have been woeful at defending them.  Hopefully, this season Gibson builds a more solid back-line/keeper combination.

Guest Flash

I think we looked at this before. Without having stats for every other team, it is difficult to know. But I’m fairly sure we did a comparison of percentage of goals scored from crosses compared with goals conceded and there was a significant difference. Of course, that could be because we don’t score as high a percentage from crosses as other teams. But you’d think with everybody playing the same sort of football, the figures would be roughly the same.
In any event, I think with the keepers we’ve had in the last few years, who have mostly regarded crosses as nothing to do with them, combined with having some dud CBs, a striker playing there for the first time in his life and a 37 year old winger being one of the better ones, you don’t really need the stats to know it has been a problem.
@19QOS19 kept stats on it for a while but not sure if he gave up.

Yeah I never really bothered with the stats last season. Both because I didn't think we were as bad as the previous two seasons and plus it made me depressed looking at the stats. I never really looked into other sides but I reckon we'd still have been winning (losing) when it came to goals conceded from crosses.

11 minutes ago, Flash said:

... with the keepers we’ve had in the last few years, who have mostly regarded crosses as nothing to do with them, combined with having some dud CBs, a striker playing there for the first time in his life and a 37 year old winger being one of the better ones, you don’t really need the stats to know it has been a problem ...

^^^ this ... and we rest our case m'lord!

Edited by Otis Blue

Am I looking into it too much but does the tweet by Wullie suggest that it’ll be more than one?
My guess is a signing and an East renewal
Be happy with that. Maybe fitzpatrick re-signing. Any news on connolly any rumours about teams interested etc?

6 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:
51 minutes ago, QoS99 said:
Am I looking into it too much but does the tweet by Wullie suggest that it’ll be more than one?
My guess is a signing and an East renewal

Be happy with that. Maybe fitzpatrick re-signing. Any news on connolly any rumours about teams interested etc?

Not heard anything on East or Connelly but Fitzpatrick apparently has an offer from Thistle.

I'd take them, if it meant you take your incessant whinging elsewhere.
The opinion of a rape apologist means absolutely nothing to me. Do us a favour and piss off back to the Raith thread.

What classes as a 'busy morning' for Wullie Gibson though? Going to the gym, watering the astroturf, delegating some more jobs to Dan Armstrong?

It wouldn't surprise me if he was having us on, and there weren't actually any signings!

What classes as a 'busy morning' for Wullie Gibson though? Going to the gym, watering the astroturf, delegating some more jobs to Dan Armstrong?
It wouldn't surprise me if he was having us on, and there weren't actually any signings!

Aye his next Tweet better be him trolling us!