The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Am I right in saying that we brought Paton in from L2 last year (Stranraer) and asked him to make the big jump up to Championship level?  Equally, Gavin was reasonably decent with Morton at Championship level.  So perhaps these guys will be more likely to shine a level down at L1 - fingers crossed.  As others have said if we could add a big (stature) striker to occupy centre backs then that would help Paton/Reilly too.

Don't think there is a massive difference between champioship and league 1 ( certainly not the top half)  Think we are about to find out how tough it is.

22 minutes ago, sneeuq said:

Don't think there is a massive difference between champioship and league 1 ( certainly not the top half)  Think we are about to find out how tough it is.

I think there isn't much of a difference between the bottom 4 of the SC last season, and the top teams in L1. However, the other half of the table will all be easier fixtures.

This bodes well for next season; in our 12 games against the rest of the bottom 4, we won 6 drew 3 and lost 3 (scoring 19 goals and conceding 13), putting us top of the bottom 4 mini league. Not bad for a blunt attack and a shaky defence. Those were 75% of our total wins in one third of the season. It was our fragility against the other 6 teams that ended up being detrimental for us.

Our cup games against L1 teams don't make for great reading. We won 2 drew 1 and lost 2, scoring 7 goals and conceding 7. The losses were an opening game of the season encounter with Queen's Park (1-0) and the hammering to Cove Rangers. We played CR twice more both winning and drawing. Obviously CR and QP have both been promoted so our only game against a team in next season's L1 was a 4-1 thrashing of Airdrie. We also beat Annan 3-1 who judging by the L2 table are probably better than Edinburgh City.

We have got rid of Allan Johnston so hopefully we are no longer burdened by managerial incompetencies, and I am also excited by the signing of Gavin Reilly, who is almost certainly better than last season's forwards. Our squad is shaping up nicely and as long as it ends up being a competent team, we should at least get to the playoffs and the management and players should be aiming even higher.

6 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye, this looks a decent signing - hope we see the same Gav as first time around - think he's struggled a bit since leaving us (injuries a part of that?).

You won't see the same Reilly as a few years back... but you are getting a totally honest player, who will keep doing what he does regardless of how well he or the team are playing. Was beginning to look as though the Championship was right on the limit for him, but he should score a few in League One if he can stay fit.

Hope he does well for you.

On 23/05/2022 at 21:40, sidofthesouth said:

It is a big ask for a novice manager, but he has Grant Murray to assist him in the process. Murray has previous experience of having to build a squad over 2 or 3 summers when Raith manager. Hopefully, between them, they can spot & sign some decent players. It would be interesting to know Rovers fans thoughts on the quality of Murrays signings when he was in charge there

He signed cardle who was good, Kevin moon did well for us, Liam fox was poor off the top of my head. I would say from recollection that his signings were 50/50 in terms of being positive which is same for most managersand he has worked at hibs since us, I didn’t like Murray as a manager but probably because I compared him to Mcglynn because I certainly appreciated him far more when Locke and Hughes/smith were in charge and he did win us the ramsdens

3 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Broadfoot has left Inverness to be nearer the Central Belt, hopefully a player we are looking at.

He stays just outside Ayr , can’t see him going anywhere further than Glasgow ( 40 minutes travel) 

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

He stays just outside Ayr , can’t see him going anywhere further than Glasgow ( 40 minutes travel) 

We train in Hamilton, so can't see travelling being an issue. 

We'll only have a chance if he doesn't think he has another year in the championship in him, which he probably does. 

11 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

You won't see the same Reilly as a few years back... but you are getting a totally honest player, who will keep doing what he does regardless of how well he or the team are playing. Was beginning to look as though the Championship was right on the limit for him, but he should score a few in League One if he can stay fit.

Hope he does well for you.

Cheers, think that's a fair assessment and pretty much how I see it.  Hoping he'll be an asset at L1 level.

20 minutes ago, madton said:

What's Darragh O'Connor like? Local paper saying he is set to sign for Morton today.

Big lad, around 6ft 2", dark curly hair ... 🙂

Looked a bit shaky when first signed, but improved towards the end of the season.

We train in Hamilton, so can't see travelling being an issue. 
We'll only have a chance if he doesn't think he has another year in the championship in him, which he probably does. 

May work in our favour that he was training with us last summer and will know wullie pretty well. An experienced campaigner like him at centre half and we’d be sorted there I think

What's Darragh O'Connor like? Local paper saying he is set to sign for Morton today.

If he plays like he did towards end of his time with us you’ve got yourself a player. Before that was all over the bit, came on leaps and bounds under WG

Just picking up on @19QOS19's post over on the L1 squad thread where he notes that (Skyline) hasn't been seen much on our threads lately.  I'm assuming that he's been telt by the club to stop providing his club insights (hope there's nothing wrong with the guy healthwise) on social media.  Shame, as his insights (not just re QOS but also in terms of the administration of the game) were helpful (and probably helpful to fans of other clubs as well).

Just picking up on @19QOS19's post over on the L1 squad thread where he notes that (Skyline) hasn't been seen much on our threads lately.  I'm assuming that he's been telt by the club to stop providing his club insights (hope there's nothing wrong with the guy healthwise) on social media.  Shame, as his insights (not just re QOS but also in terms of the administration of the game) were helpful (and probably helpful to fans of other clubs as well).

Yeah hopefully nothing to do with his health of course but he hasn't been seen since he told us how much money the club had in the bank. Soon after that AJ was sacked. Could of course be pure coincidence but if they are in any way linked he should make a reappearance so we can thank him [emoji14]

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yeah hopefully nothing to do with his health of course but he hasn't been seen since he told us how much money the club had in the bank.

If that info came from SD, that probably does explain his recent absence - although I'm sure he'd probably have argued that it was presumably in the public domain anyway ... annual accounts etc.