The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash
11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yeah think that's poor tbh. My guess is Sky have the rights to the Premiership games which they regards this as.

Sky had the rights to all the Premiership play-off games after taking them over from BT Sport but they only showed the final, iirc. They sold the rights to the quarter and semi finals back to the SPFL who then sold them to the BBC for 5 years from 20/21, I think. Sky retained the rights to the final.

16 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

Happy to get a chance to travel back to Dumfries though always loved a trip down the road but it’s not a ground we come out of very often with a great result. 

... I was very much impressed with Soares-Junior that day hope you don’t mind me asking did he kick on and is he staying around or is he gone? 

Unfortunately, I had the "pleasure" of witnessing a Derek Whiteford inspired 1-7 mauling by Airdrie at Palmerston in prehistoric (Jurassic I think) times ... plus our home record in recent times has been nothing short of appalling (Flash can give you the details here) so don't despair!

Soares-Junior has indeed left the building. The guy tried hard, ran around a lot but didn't really know where the goals were, which is a bit of a handicap for an aspiring striker.

Could be a close league next season and expect Airdrie/Queens to be at a similar level. Cheers.

Edited by Otis Blue

As for next season I fear we will lose a chunk of our squad and possibly even our manager but good luck and I promise not all Airdrie fans are bad.  

For the slating Airdrie get at times I've no ill feeling towards them tbh. But this point is why I was wanting QP to win in the playoffs and with respect I hope it happens. QP have the budget to just recruit better players so would have been right up there next season. Airdrie are similar to us in that if their players have a good season they are more than likely going to be snapped up by bigger clubs. Hopefully a major rebuild job at Airdrie is required and they are weaker as a result.

In the meantime I can’t help but notice an interesting omission from AFC Fylde’s retained list. 

Noticed that. Be interesting to see what his next move is if he decides to just call it a day. Would absolutely love to see him back for the season if for no other reason than to give him the send off he deserves. Heartbreaking to see him walk off against Dundee with no fans there. I reckon he could still easily score at League 1 level even as a bit-part player and WG would have the sense not to play him as a lone striker.

Logistically it may well be a no go though sadly.

14 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

For the slating Airdrie get at times I've no ill feeling towards them tbh. But this point is why I was wanting QP to win in the playoffs and with respect I hope it happens. QP have the budget to just recruit better players so would have been right up there next season. Airdrie are similar to us in that if their players have a good season they are more than likely going to be snapped up by bigger clubs. Hopefully a major rebuild job at Airdrie is required and they are weaker as a result.

Noticed that. Be interesting to see what his next move is if he decides to just call it a day. Would absolutely love to see him back for the season if for no other reason than to give him the send off he deserves. Heartbreaking to see him walk off against Dundee with no fans there. I reckon he could still easily score at League 1 level even as a bit-part player and WG would have the sense not to play him as a lone striker.

Possible risk, Maybe worth taking tho in league 1 on a pay as you play deal, Get him signed as long as he still feels fit enough, let him train in Lytham and meet up with the squad on the Friday before... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

29 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I can't see it happening and I'm not sure I'd want it to.

The truth is he was getting past it with us at least two years ago.  I know we've dropped a level since then, but Fylde haven't let him go because he was sensational down there either.

It is a great shame that he finished with us in an empty ground, but limping back as a tribute act wouldn't be a solution to that.

Who knows, maybe he will one day return as a manager, although I'm not convinced he's a natural for that either, to be honest.

I think it's better that we just remember him as the best we've seen.

Possible risk, Maybe worth taking tho in league 1 on a pay as you play deal, Get him signed as long as he still feels fit enough, let him train in Lytham and meet up with the squad on the Friday before... 
I don't know if pay as play deals are actually a thing anymore. Regardless it would be a horrible way to treat him. Make him travel up from Lytham only for him to potentially not be paid.

It may well be he calls it a day.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't know if pay as play deals are actually a thing anymore. Regardless it would be a horrible way to treat him. Make him travel up from Lytham only for him to potentially not be paid.

It may well be he calls it a day.

Maybe not quite a pay as you play but something along them lines... 

He may well just call it a day tho... 

If age has caught up with him maybe we will see him as a strikers coach at Fleetwood with his old Hibs teammates Brown & Whittaker... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

If age has caught up with him maybe we will see him as a strikers coach at Fleetwood with his old Hibs teammates Brown & Whittaker... 
That was what I was thinking. Would there be an opportunity for him at Palmerston as a part time coach? It would be a boost just to see him there on match days.

Not a bad shout. Close by to him and is a good foot in the door. Thought he may have taken over at Fylde at some point mind you.

6 hours ago, FyldeCoastDoonhamer said:

In the meantime I can’t help but notice an interesting omission from AFC Fylde’s retained list. 

Wonder if we could get him back  as say  reserve team manager/  1st team coach just to have him back at the club would give everyone at boast.

Young players can learn so much from him. 

9 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

His playing days at any decent level are behind him now (which is only natural) and I don't think taking him on in a playing role would be a positive move for Queens; we should be building looking forwards and not backwards if you get my meaning.

Like you when I heard Brown had got the Fleetwood job, I wondered if SD would join up with him in a coaching role ... I seem to recall that he said he'd kept in touch with Brown from his H*bs days, and of course he lives in the area (and did he not play for them for a spell). So it wouldn't have been a surprise to see him rock up at Fleetwood.

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Who knows, maybe he will one day return as a manager, although I'm not convinced he's a natural for that either, to be honest.

I agree with you here MT. I always thought SD came across as a really nice guy, one of the lads etc.,  but something tells me that he maybe isn't hard/ruthless enough to survive in the manager's role. I could be wrong though as obviously I don't know the guy well enough ...

His playing days at any decent level are behind him now (which is only natural) and I don't think taking him on in a playing role would be a positive move for Queens; we should be building looking forwards and not backwards if you get my meaning.
Like you when I heard Brown had got the Fleetwood job, I wondered if SD would join up with him in a coaching role ... I seem to recall that he said he'd kept in touch with Brown from his H*bs days, and of course he lives in the area (and did he not play for them for a spell). So it wouldn't have been a surprise to see him rock up at Fleetwood.
League 1 isn't a decent level though, that's the only tiny thing that's making me wonder if it may happen. FWIW I doubt he'll be back but if we were in the Championship next season I'd be a firm "It won't happen" whereas being in L1 has me thinking "Well, you never know".

Just now, 19QOS19 said:
13 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

League 1 isn't a decent level though ...

That's very true. However I'm guessing that his fitness/pace will be falling away now faster than the decrease in quality from Championship to L1. Also, like many others, I'd hate to watch him struggle down at L1 level - would hate to tarnish the great memories.

That's very true. However I'm guessing that his fitness/pace will be falling away now faster than the decrease in quality from Championship to L1. Also, like many others, I'd hate to watch him struggle down at L1 level - would hate to tarnish the great memories.

He could come back with a zimmer frame and he wouldn't be able to tarnish those memories default_smile.png

I can remember Bowey being a good example (granted it wasn't that he returned). He was a great player for us at the time but once his engine went it showed him up for being a technically terrible footballer. But when I/We think back to him you certainly don't think about his last season. It's just the fond memories.

I can’t see it happening, another year has passed.

But I couldn’t help think it would be good to give him a cameo against Falkirk, didn’t he have a very good record against them…..?!

Only joking

The way AJ played him his last couple of seasons made him look worn out TBF. 

You don't loose the ability, just need a engine room doing the slogging (like the Dykes partnership) behind or next to him. 

SD and Reilly partnership would be pretty awesome if we get a supporting midfield.