The Queen of the South thread

10 hours ago, the philosopher said:

For the future because of our location perhaps there should be greater cooperation/links between our Border teams creating pathways for young players.

Seems entirely sensible to me.

12 hours ago, sneeuq said:

Not sure what age he is but think he could make a real impact in league 1 and really kick start his career rather than fizzling out at PT. 

This would be our main hope in trying to keep Fitzpatrick - ie he should be a regular first pick for us, and I'm sure he'd shine at L1 level and a season playing regularly at L1 with good reviews could be a springboard to a good move (eg Nicky Clark) the following season.  Whereas he'd be unlikely to command an automatic first pick place at Partick.  I still think its a long shot for us though as the wages and locality will be huge factors in his decision.

13 hours ago, JessieField said:

I think WG is about to find out how difficult it is to build a squad from more or less scratch, never mind making it a competitive one. Only 7 weeks to go till the new season.

Yep, recruitment is one of the hardest parts of the manager's job - especially at our level and with our geographical location.  What with players existing contracts running down and end of season holidays (and did someone not mention the window opening on 7 June ... or did I dream that?)  I don't expect we will start to see the shape of the squad until the second half of June/end June.  Early days yet.

8 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Yep, recruitment is one of the hardest parts of the manager's job - especially at our level and with our geographical location.  What with players existing contracts running down and end of season holidays (and did someone not mention the window opening on 7 June ... or did I dream that?)  I don't expect we will start to see the shape of the squad until the second half of June/end June.  Early days yet.

Don't think location is a issue as it's not like they have to train down here. 

Plastic pitch isn't a great sell and would guess the wages are as low as they can get away with. 

Still early days like you say. 

2 minutes ago, Kunter said:

Don't think location is a issue as it's not like they have to train down here.

I didn't really mean where they train (although your point is a good one). I was more thinking of the fact that even our home games involve traveling for the central belt players.

On 19/05/2022 at 16:02, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’m not sure - I mean, the above is correct, but I would imagine that, particularly in League One, Queens can offer him a start every week which we maybe won’t be offering him and which he’s never really had in his career yet. That could be very appealing.

That said, we’ll offer him more money, a higher league and, as he’s from Clydebank, a far easier commute so it depends what he’s after really. 

Don’t forget though he had been with Partick Thistle since he was about 12(I think about that age) made his way up through the youth academy to the first team and did well enough there to get a move to Norwich.  He may think a move back to Partick Thistle under McCall may help rejuvenate his career.  We could probably offer him a couple of years contract if he wanted and would probably be able to offer more money than he would get at Palmerston 

3 youth players signed up for next season: Lewis Gibson (forward), Jay Burns (fullback) and Ben Johnstone (midfield). Gibson and Burns both played well for Scotland in the Centenary Shield.

There are now 6 youth products at the club with Cowie, Muir and McMahon signed for this year as well. Hopefully they'll get their chances and take them.

44 minutes ago, Passionate said:

How was Darragh IOConnor  last season,  was he the ball playing centre half on loan from Motherwell..

That's him. He wasn't great the first few games but ended up with pretty solid displays.

They've finally used the Tanner Fund!
http://www.qosfc.com/news-5769

Heard about this last week. Pretty surprised tbh. Gibson was a no-brainer for the obvious reason combined with the fact he's easily one of the best youths we have. Johnston hasn't looked up to much any time I've seen him but he did have one really good game with a couple of goals into the bargain. He looks like a box to box type CM. I can't recall the other boy but if he's been selected for Scotland he's obviously a promising player. Really surprised the boy Nathan wasn't picked up for a contract. Alongside Gibson he's been the standout player any time I've watched them. Oram is another that keeps it simple in the middle and goes in for every challenge. If you said to me we'd sign 3 youth players I'd definitely have said it would be those two and Gibson.

Anyway, great to see some young blood coming through and hopefully the boys hit the ground running.

Anyone else feel a bit short changed with playoff match not being on bbc scotland tonight. We have watched championship matches all season but miss the finale. Surely bbc scotland should have been able to screen play off final through their agreement to show championship games the same as sky's arrangement to show premiership matches

Anyone else feel a bit short changed with playoff match not being on bbc scotland tonight. We have watched championship matches all season but miss the finale. Surely bbc scotland should have been able to screen play off final through their agreement to show championship games the same as sky's arrangement to show premiership matches

Yeah think that's poor tbh. My guess is Sky have the rights to the Premiership games which they regards this as.

Is it just me that’s a bit disappointed the tanner fund is being used to get three youngsters to train with us full time? In my opinion that’s something that the club should be paying for anyway in order to promote local players. I thought the purpose of the fund was to help us add to something which wouldn’t be possible under normal circumstances (meaning offering better wages for first team players). Don’t know if I’m being overly critical but I’ve always thought this since this idea was originally suggested.

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

Is it just me that’s a bit disappointed the tanner fund is being used to get three youngsters to train with us full time? In my opinion that’s something that the club should be paying for anyway in order to promote local players. I thought the purpose of the fund was to help us add to something which wouldn’t be possible under normal circumstances (meaning offering better wages for first team players). Don’t know if I’m being overly critical but I’ve always thought this since this idea was originally suggested.

The counter to that is that if the club use the fund for young players it presumably frees up other cash for the purposes you suggest. Ultimately all from the same pot unless I’m missing something. 
I think the positive PR of using the tanner fund to promote  youth development is sound too IMHO. 

The counter to that is that if the club use the fund for young players it presumably frees up other cash for the purposes you suggest. Ultimately all from the same pot unless I’m missing something. 
I think the positive PR of using the tanner fund to promote  youth development is sound too IMHO. 

While initially I was disappointed that it was going to be used for this, this is way I see it and if there going to be future players like Gibson is near certain of then it’ll be all worthwhile. As TF have said there is still money outwith to maybe help boost a players wage and get one over the line. I’ll be joining back up this week after leaving through the clubs lack of interest, anything to help the new gaffer [emoji119]

Hey folks unlucky on the relegation was hoping you could find a way to stay up and was really pleased WG got the job he is a player I have always liked and can’t fault his passion for the game. 

Happy to get a chance to travel back to Dumfries though always loved a trip down the road but it’s not a ground we come out of very often with a great result. 

As for next season I fear we will lose a chunk of our squad and possibly even our manager but good luck and I promise not all Airdrie fans are bad. 

I seen an attempt at a wind up about Roy earlier in the thread but I was very much impressed with Soares-Junior that day hope you don’t mind me asking did he kick on and is he staying around or is he gone? 

Hey folks unlucky on the relegation was hoping you could find a way to stay up and was really pleased WG got the job he is a player I have always liked and can’t fault his passion for the game. 

Happy to get a chance to travel back to Dumfries though always loved a trip down the road but it’s not a ground we come out of very often with a great result. 

As for next season I fear we will lose a chunk of our squad and possibly even our manager but good luck and I promise not all Airdrie fans are bad. 

I seen an attempt at a wind up about Roy earlier in the thread but I was very much impressed with Soares-Junior that day hope you don’t mind me asking did he kick on and is he staying around or is he gone? 

Gone, not up to it in all honesty. Some nice flashes but in the main he didn’t know what he was doing either did opponents.