The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Similarly with Cameron, he was rotten but I don't think I ever heard him receive actual abuse.

You obviously don't stand near me. If calling a useless player a donkey is abuse then I'm guilty m'lud. 

Gutted for Annan (and us tbh). Potential for a few decent crowds and some local interest. Not to be. Not one for crowdwanks but that was Edinburgh's biggest game in their history and the crowd at Annan from them was pish. What's it going to be down here if they're down at the bottom? Annan would have brought a couple of hundred you'd imagine. Ach well.

14 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Gutted for Annan (and us tbh). Potential for a few decent crowds and some local interest. Not to be. Not one for crowdwanks but that was Edinburgh's biggest game in their history and the crowd at Annan from them was pish. What's it going to be down here if they're down at the bottom? Annan would have brought a couple of hundred you'd imagine. Ach well.

Aye, I felt a bit gutted for them too.

It would have been a nice feature of next season for us as well.  I suspect they'll be thin on the ground.

Guest Flash
18 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye, it’s a bit rubbish. Looking at it, Edinburgh City will probably be our fixture on derby day as well.
Thinking Dunfermline v Kelty (I know Dunfermline v Falkirk will be the real derby) Falkirk v Alloa; Peterhead v Montrose; Clyde v Queen’s Park or Airdrie; Queens v Edinburgh City.
Some mouthwatering fixtures next season. It is really only when they come out that you realise how shit it will be.

Aye, it’s a bit rubbish. Looking at it, Edinburgh City will probably be our fixture on derby day as well.
Thinking Dunfermline v Kelty (I know Dunfermline v Falkirk will be the real derby) Falkirk v Alloa; Peterhead v Montrose; Clyde v Queen’s Park or Airdrie; Queens v Edinburgh City.
Some mouthwatering fixtures next season. It is really only when they come out that you realise how shit it will be.
We might get Clyde for New Year if they're playing at NDP.

10 hours ago, lowland star said:

Another player not coming to queens arron muirhead signing for  Patrick 

Would probably have been a solid back line signing for L1 ... but not the best investment going forwards.  Strange signing for Partick though if their ambitions are top end of the Championship next season as you would imagine.

Strange as McCall punted him few years ago.

He didn’t play for McCall the first time round at Partick. However McCall signed him for Ayr and was pretty highly rated by him I think. I’m quite happy for him to go to a league rival.

You’re more than welcome to Jack Baird though.

13 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye it was a shame.  Would have been a nice change and a welcome addition to next season to have 4 southern/border/Tory derbies (have I covered all the options there?).

I'm not really sure what clubs like EC, Kelty, Cove etc bring to our game given their limited potential to bring a reasonable fan base.  I know that sporting integrity and the pyramid structure necessitates that they have the same opportunity as any other club and that's hard to argue with.  However, for a small country like ours I've always thought that its good to have the larger sized towns and also the different regions of the country represented in the league - adding "village clubs" (such as Gretna, Kelty etc) and "minor city clubs" doesn't add a lot for me.

24 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

Ex Queens man Owen Moxon looked like the best player on the pitch last night.

How about Innes Murray?  On loan to EC from Hibs?  Seemed decent and had lots of energy and forward drive ... quite apart from his goal.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye it was a shame.  Would have been a nice change and a welcome addition to next season to have 4 southern/border/Tory derbies (have I covered all the options there?).

I'm not really sure what clubs like EC, Kelty, Cove etc bring to our game given their limited potential to bring a reasonable fan base.  I know that sporting integrity and the pyramid structure necessitates that they have the same opportunity as any other club and that's hard to argue with.  However, for a small country like ours I've always thought that its good to have the larger sized towns and also the different regions of the country represented in the league - adding "village clubs" (such as Gretna, Kelty etc) and "minor city clubs" doesn't add a lot for me.

Granted our fan base isn't big but 3 years ago we were a HL club. Hardly any tier 5 or lower clubs have substantial fan bases.

It's difficult to grow that in a short space of time although imperative for revenue. We were 2nd highest in attendances this season with a rather unspectular average of 747 and had the highest average when in L2

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Granted our fan base isn't big but 3 years ago we were a HL club. Hardly any tier 5 or lower clubs have substantial fan bases.

It's difficult to grow that in a short space of time although imperative for revenue. We were 2nd highest in attendances this season with a rather unspectular average of 747 and had the highest average when in L2

Really didn't mean to single out a particular club here.  It was more a case of trying to step aside from being a fan of a particular club for a moment and trying to view the Scottish football landscape as a whole.

For instance, I was quite pleased to see the likes of Inverness and Peterhead come into the league because they were decent sized towns (in Scottish terms) and brought the senior game to new areas of the country which had largely been overlooked by the heavily central belt biased game up here.  Similarly, it was good to see Annan come into the main leagues spreading the game beyond the central belt, although Annan is a town of only around 8k folk and could be classed as a "village" type similar to Gretna (although probably a fair bit larger than Gretna to be fair).  I've often thought that it would be good to have a side from one of the larger Border area towns (eg Hawick/Galashiels) in the league too to spread the game.  We don't really have many decently large towns, so the likes of Irvine always comes to mind as a potential candidate for a senior league side.  The problem of course is that large towns like Irvine that lie close to the central belt suffer from the Scottish malaise of having the majority of the football leaning public being drawn to the Old Firm madness and this would reduce their potential fan base considerably.  Just a bit of navel gazing on my part really and everyone will have their own views.

8 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

The problem of course is that large towns like Irvine that lie close to the central belt suffer from the Scottish malaise of having the majority of the football leaning public being drawn to the Old Firm madness and this would reduce their potential fan base considerably.  

Surely a Queens fan doesn't need told that proximity to the Central Belt, is no prerequisite for that particular disease to get a hold.

13 hours ago, lowland star said:

Another player not coming to queens arron muirhead signing for  Patrick 

Another player who lives in  Summerpark in Dumfries going to Partick .

Company for Holty on the drive to Glasgow every day .

Hopefully this week we will find out if the 4 players from last season offered deals will sign then we can start the difficult job of building a squad .

Have heard a rumour we are after Reilly but it will be difficult to get him as other clubs are interested