Jump to content

The Queen of the South thread


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

He's definitely got a promising career ahead of him. Hopefully he fullfils that potential. I think we'll be in the market for a keeper and would like to see us go for a similar quality keeper this summer. 

I think he'll be at a Premiership Club in the next year or two. You forget how young he is as well, he's still only 21. Think that could be realistic signing for you since he's already played up your end of the country with Peterhead previously. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

I think he'll be at a Premiership Club in the next year or two. You forget how young he is as well, he's still only 21. Think that could be realistic signing for you since he's already played up your end of the country with Peterhead previously. 

Agreed.

I hope he's one we are looking at. Would be a very good signing and a marked improvement over McKenzie. Hopefully we've not pulled the trigger on Mutch as rumours might suggest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

We can offer Rae regular 1st team football hopefully that keeps him at Queens he is only 21 he has time to get a move to a bigger club .

Think Rae and Connelly are the 2 we will find difficult to keep hold of .

The other 3  I would offer a deal to  is Fizpartrick McGory and East in that order .Muirhead is a bit of a hot head but he is type of defender we need aggressive.

He wants to go part time this is why we should have that  option   we have to get away from the we must be full time like it somehow gives us a advantage over part time teams.

Hopefully O,Connor will be availble doubtful but he was easily our best loan signing .

Gavin Reilly is available he is leaving Livi but I think he will stay at Morton unless we offer him a very good contract .

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Greenacres
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My heart - wants Gibson to get the job. Cos he's a local boy, so passionate about the club/town and I want him to succeed.

My head - worries it'll be too soon for him and that he'd be better playing one more year at a lower level as our assistant and where he'd still shine, help the lesser experienced players during the games and yet gain good management experience in parallel to set him up further down the line.

Glad it's not my decision ... 🫤

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tommy goss signed new deal at annan was announced yesterday after game . 
also told moxen signing for Hartlepool. 
have watched Annan a few times this season I would go for two of there players was three but moxen away else where . 
tony Wallace midfielder and scores goals . 
scot hooper really think he would do well for us in league one 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, lowland star said:

Tommy goss signed new deal at annan was announced yesterday after game . 
also told moxen signing for Hartlepool. 
have watched Annan a few times this season I would go for two of there players was three but moxen away else where . 
tony Wallace midfielder and scores goals . 
scot hooper really think he would do well for us in league one 

Scot Hooper is another who wants to stay part time as he has a good job with Mark Jardine .

Why come to Queens full time when he can make more with his job and part time football .

A lot more good players are turning to part time who we could get if we  offer them that option 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Arbroath were (probably) spending more money than us as a semi professional outfit last year, or at least similar. I wouldn't want us to go semi pro but I don't see the problem with getting in a semi professionnal player if they're good enough and that's what they want. On the whole I think we would be better off staying as a full time club to allow for a smooth running training schedule, so exceptions should only be made in rare cases.

Edited by Doonhamer19
Link to comment
Share on other sites




also told moxen signing for Hartlepool.


Heard the same from a reliable source a few weeks ago. At that point it was just "Hartlepool are keen on him" mind you.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the moment I'm more interested in who's being retained from this season's squad.  Once we know that we can speculate all summer long about who else we would like to see coming in to fill certain positions.  I would say though that the worrying thing for me when it does come to signing new players is the BoD stating after the AGM that they want to build a squad with more local connections - I'm not sure that there is sufficient local talent around to go down that avenue, even if we include Muirhead, Reilly and the ex-QOS contingent at Galabank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Doonhamer19 said:

Arbroath were (probably) spending more money than us as a semi professional outfit last year, or at least similar. I wouldn't want us to go semi pro but I don't see the problem with getting in a semi professionnal player if they're good enough and that's what they want. On the whole I think we would be better off staying as a full time club to allow for a smooth running training schedule, so exceptions should only be made in rare cases.

Arbroath are part time, not semi pro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

My heart - wants Gibson to get the job. Cos he's a local boy, so passionate about the club/town and I want him to succeed.

My head - worries it'll be too soon for him and that he'd be better playing one more year at a lower level as our assistant and where he'd still shine, help the lesser experienced players during the games and yet gain good management experience in parallel to set him up further down the line.

Glad it's not my decision ... 🫤

Do you think they'll appoint Murray with Gibson as his assistant so he'll continue to play?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

At the moment I'm more interested in who's being retained from this season's squad.  Once we know that we can speculate all summer long about who else we would like to see coming in to fill certain positions.  I would say though that the worrying thing for me when it does come to signing new players is the BoD stating after the AGM that they want to build a squad with more local connections - I'm not sure that there is sufficient local talent around to go down that avenue, even if we include Muirhead, Reilly and the ex-QOS contingent at Galabank.

Clubs don't retain players like they used. At the end of their contract the player no longer has a contract with the club and at that stage a couple of things may happen. The player may be offered  new contract and signs, offered a new contractor but does not sign or is offered a contract from another club.

The days of clubs releasing players is long gone and it a case that contracts have expired

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree It's a very much head and heart decision and which ever way it's a gamble but I think Gibson would be good for assembling a young squad similar to what we have but not convinced him being a rookie young manager with no experience attract the type of core players we need imo, ex SPL (ideally) championship level. Could it put clubs off loaning players out having a rookie coach? 

I think he'd be far better for us as a player than risking him as a manager. Wouldn't be disappointed if he did get it but would fans have the patience to potentially wait a few years while he gets a hang of the ropes ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kunter said:

Agree It's a very much head and heart decision and which ever way it's a gamble but I think Gibson would be good for assembling a young squad similar to what we have but not convinced him being a rookie young manager with no experience attract the type of core players we need imo, ex SPL (ideally) championship level. Could it put clubs off loaning players out having a rookie coach? 

I think he'd be far better for us as a player than risking him as a manager. Wouldn't be disappointed if he did get it but would fans have the patience to potentially wait a few years while he gets a hang of the ropes ? 

Alternatively, there may be a lot of older, experienced pros who are fed up of listening to the same run of the mill managers who have been doing the rounds at various clubs over the last twenty years. Perhaps a new, enthusiastic manager with a true passion for his club would make an appealing change?

On your second point, not everyone will have the patience to wait for a couple of years but I would if I thought the style and intent of the football was worth the wait. If he resorts to signing another big guy to replace Cameron and take the long-ball-hope-for-knock-downs approach, then my patience would last the first half of the first game of the new season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I would think there’s zero chance of that. Gibson wants the manager’s job. 

I know that he does, although only looking at an alternative.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Homer Thompson changed the title to The Queen of the South thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...