The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Did a quick rough and ready comparison of Johnston’s and Gibson’s records this season and worked out roughly what would have happened if either had been in charge for the whole season. There is a bit of rounding involved, so not exact. Plus we don’t know how Gibson would have got on had Fitzpatrick not been injured. 

Anyway, Johnston maintaining his record over a complete season would have produced
P36 W6 D10 L20 F38 A60 Pts 28

Would have finished bottom.

Gibson would have produced
P36 W10 D6 L20 F29 A42 Pts36

At 1 point per game, we’d have roughly the same record as Dunfermline and most likely be in the relegation play-offs.
There hasn’t been a dramatic improvement. Whether Gibson would have done any better with his own players is the great unknown.
Maybe second bottom is the best we could have got anyway given the budget. A Livi or an Arbroath doesn't happen all that often. If you swap Dunfermline and Arbroath in the table as it stands, teams would probably end up roughly in line with their budget. 

I’m thinking Newcastle and now Burnley, tho beit on a different arena ? Have ours in in heartbeat 

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Did a quick rough and ready comparison of Johnston’s and Gibson’s records this season and worked out roughly what would have happened if either had been in charge for the whole season. There is a bit of rounding involved, so not exact. Plus we don’t know how Gibson would have got on had Fitzpatrick not been injured. 

Anyway, Johnston maintaining his record over a complete season would have produced
P36 W6 D10 L20 F38 A60 Pts 28

Would have finished bottom.

Gibson would have produced
P36 W10 D6 L20 F29 A42 Pts36

At 1 point per game, we’d have roughly the same record as Dunfermline and most likely be in the relegation play-offs.
There hasn’t been a dramatic improvement. Whether Gibson would have done any better with his own players is the great unknown.
Maybe second bottom is the best we could have got anyway given the budget. A Livi or an Arbroath doesn't happen all that often. If you swap Dunfermline and Arbroath in the table as it stands, teams would probably end up roughly in line with their budget. 

The table does not lie. We scored the least number of goals, just, and conceded the most, again by a small margin. 

I expect the club to remain full time but whether that's the best of positions is up for debate because we cannot attract the required standard of full time players but could with part timers who would have more ambition than journeymen.

Gibson's passion for the club is there for all to see which you will not get from another manager so I would give him the job for next season and see how he does with his players. 

5 hours ago, QoS99 said:

I disagree. He could always play another season whilst managing the 20’s again. And also, if he doesn’t get the job just now, the next manager is likely to only get a 1 year deal after the AJ disaster of a 2 year deal. Also if it doesn’t go to plan we could just be in the exact same situation of looking for another manager this time next year.

I can't see him taking it too well if he's being demoted back to player and he's not going to be any more experienced waiting a couple of seasons so right now would be the perfect opportunity.

5 hours ago, QoS99 said:

I disagree. He could always play another season whilst managing the 20’s again. And also, if he doesn’t get the job just now, the next manager is likely to only get a 1 year deal after the AJ disaster of a 2 year deal. Also if it doesn’t go to plan we could just be in the exact same situation of looking for another manager this time next year.

Any incoming manager would be daft in having Gibson hanging around waiting for him to fail.

That said, i would take back Jim McIntyre in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, mwwqos321 said:

I expect the club to remain full time but whether that's the best of positions is up for debate because we cannot attract the required standard of full time players but could with part timers who would have more ambition than journeymen.

I think the question should be why can't we attract the required standard of full time player and how can this be rectified. 

TBF we've never had a problem previous seasons. 

Think before we look at the manager situation the BOD need to have a good look at themselves to decide if they think they are the right people to take us forward. 

Going be the utter decline this club has seen over the last few years I seriously don't think they are. 

21 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Who says Gibson cannot be a player manager with support from Grant Murray like its been over past 2 months?

It has not worked over the past 2 months with Wullie as player manager this is why he should just be a player next season .

He has plenty of time to be Queens manager when he stops playing ..

Would like to think this week the board are already planning for next season 

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

It has not worked over the past 2 months with Wullie as player manager this is why he should just be a player next season .

He has plenty of time to be Queens manager when he stops playing ..

Would like to think this week the board are already planning for next season 

Who is to say it won't work going next season? Get the best of both worlds a good player and a Gibson as manager. Gibson and Murray have had two months to ascertain what worked and what didn't. Gibson can manager during the week until 3pm on a saturday, then hand over to Murray while concentrating on playing

Who is to say Gibson has another season in him - old father time eventually catches up with everyone. People said the same about Dobbie but his last season ended in disappointment with injury, lack of game time,  goals and petered out.

I think I am right in saying that AJ was still registered as a player with us when he managed us to promotion but he barely set foot on the field over the course of the season.  I would have no qualms if Gibson was appointed manager, retained as a player but took a similar step back from playing every minute of every game.  For me it's too much to ask to monitor how every member of the team is performing and concentrating fully on your own performance while you are on the pitch.  This may be why his own form has dipped slightly over recent weeks and mistakes have crept in to his own game.  I'm guessing that Gibson being Gibson he would want to play every game though.

Off the top of my head the only player-managers I can recall as being successful in the role were Dalglish, Souness & Aldridge (when at Tranmere), but so much time has passed since they played I can't recall how much on-field involvement they had before retiring from the playing side of the game.

Edited by Slipmat

I'd agree with this. Can't blame him at all if he goes.

Must be murder for him playing behind our defence at times.

That'd be a decent move for the guy. He's certainly deserving of a move. It's been a while since I had confidence in a signed QOS goalkeeper so I'll be sad to see him go.

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

I'd agree with this. Can't blame him at all if he goes.

Must be murder for him playing behind our defence at times.

On the contrary as it has given him plenty of goalkeeping practise and the opportunity to make many saves. :)

Guest Flash

The SPFL stats show the number of saves made by each keeper. If you add in the goals conceded, you can work out the percentage of shots saved. Obviously being a keeper involves more than saving shots. Plus, the better teams probably won’t give up as many good chances. 
Anyway, Rae and Brynn faced a total of 159 shots on target between them. By comparison, Hemming at Killie faced 114.

Brynn faced 70 shots on target, saved 48 for a save percentage of 68.6%
Rae faced 89 shots on target, saved 59 for a save percentage of 66.3%. There is a goal missing from the total because Cowie conceded one.
There isn’t much between them. Over a complete season, you’d expect Brynn to concede 50 goals and Rae to concede 54.

Hemming faced 114 shots on target, saved 88 for a save % of 77.2%.
If Queens had a keeper who saved 77.2% of shots on target, they would have conceded 36 goals instead of 53 (or maybe 37 if you factor in the one Cowie conceded). As I said, probably more difficult to have a higher % of saves for a team at the bottom because the chances given up probably include more easier ones. You’d need to factor in the xG of the chances.