The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Flash said:

This is what worries me. It reminds me of when Skelton was appointed in the summer after a caretaker period. He only lasted about 4 months but it then took another month to appoint Naysmith. If the BoD had considered all the other candidates in the summer, would it not just been a case of asking whoever had come second to Skelton in the process? Or, if that person was now unavailable, whoever came third. Obviously, they’d also need to factor in anybody else who had applied or become available since the summer. But that wouldn’t have been that many.
I don’t know why it took a month to come up with Naysmith if he’d been second choice to Skelton only a few months earlier. I suppose they could have been negotiating his release but I’m fairly sure East Fife said they were only approached after Queens lost to Albion Rovers in the Cup. Even if he was approached right away, it shouldn’t have taken a month to work out the compensation due to East Fife.

Tl;dr I suspect they will have been navel gazing.

It's a totally separate argument and I'm veering off topic here.  However, I liked Skelton.  He started off very strongly for 7 or 8 league games, then we lost a few.  It all then ended abruptly and strangely.  I think that was really regrettable because nobody has performed well in the role since.

3 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

My reading of this is that the BOD had realised (by the end of January) that the squad was just not up to the standard required to keep us in the Championship (a fact the fans knew back in August of course) 

Not all fans knew this.  There was lots of groundless optimism on here back in August.

In fact, here's an example:

"I like that we're casting the net further afield (than just the usual Scottish lower league market) to build the squad again and that there's a lot of youth and energy in the side."

Guest Flash
31 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's a totally separate argument and I'm veering off topic here.  However, I liked Skelton.  He started off very strongly for 7 or 8 league games, then we lost a few.  It all then ended abruptly and strangely.  I think that was really regrettable because nobody has performed well in the role since.

After Dobbie signed immediately before the league started, we scored 24 goals in 8 games in all competitions, were top of the league after 6 games and were in the quarter final of the League Cup after beating Hibs at Easter Road. Then it turned rapidly to shit.
Scored 3 goals in the next 8 games (2 v Linfield) before Skelton left in mysterious circumstances, 6 league games after going top.

WG will be looking for a response from the players after saying some chucked it on Saturday. Surely changes. Would like to see Folarin and Mckechnie out wide and Connelly in behind if we continue to play Cameron. Surely Cochrane for Gordon. We don't have many options for the back four. 

12 minutes ago, Flash said:

After Dobbie signed immediately before the league started, we scored 24 goals in 8 games in all competitions, were top of the league after 6 games and were in the quarter final of the League Cup after beating Hibs at Easter Road. Then it turned rapidly to shit.
Scored 3 goals in the next 8 games (2 v Linfield) before Skelton left in mysterious circumstances, 6 league games after going top.

I hadn't realised the poor run before he left stretched to as many as 8 games.

That must have included a quarter final Ibrox hammering, as well as a creditable goalless draw at home to Hibs which kept us in touch at the top though.

The departure was odd.  I think he was maybe someone who found being in charge pretty stressful.  He also implied in an interview later that the JT/Victoria axis might have presented difficulties - who knows?

It was a shame though because Skelton struck me as a decent bloke, who might have been able to do well with us.

George Dickson

Haven't been on here for a while, just passing to say that I saw a photograph of one of your old players on eBay last night, 'Chopper' Dickson. You could do with him right now, solid, dependable and 'old style'. Queens have had some decent teams and players over the years and George was a bit of a legend if I remember rightly. Good luck on the seaside league, you won't be there long.

21 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

There's absolutely no doubt that Imrie's management of the squad he inherited has been exemplary and trumps what Gibson has done at Palmerston.  That said, you can't rule out the possibility that some areas of the Morton squad have been simply higher quality than their equivalent at Queens.  For example, away from home Queens have conceded double the goals that Morton have - that's a significant difference and whilst Imrie's defensive organisational nous will have been a factor, I'd also suggest that another factor in that particular stat would relate to the relative quality of defenders between the two squads.  

Nobody was pointing to a difference in quality in the squads either when Morton were favourites to finish bottom at the start of the season, or when Imrie took over when they were bottom of the league at Christmas, so this is just revisionism. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
51 minutes ago, QoS99 said:
Does anyone know what we voted in the VAR Vote? As one Championship club voted no.

I'm glad we won't be anywhere near the top flight any time soon. What a ridiculous decision.

Why is it a ridiculous decision ?

Surely if used properly it will help refs get decisions right .

If we had VAR for example when we played Killie in the 2 nil game at Palmy  it would have picked up that Shaw was a yard outside the box no pen. 

As you say it will never affect us sadly we see heading down rather than up .

Just now, Greenacres said:

Why is it a ridiculous decision ?

Surely if used properly it will help refs get decisions right .

If we had VAR for example when we played Killie in the 2 nil game at Palmy  it would have picked up that Shaw was a yard outside the box no pen. 

As you say it will never affect us sadly we see heading down rather than up .

What is the obsession for VAR I honestly don’t get it? It’s run by a referee who gives his opinion (therefore subjective) which doesn’t get every decision right? From watching it elsewhere, how can anyone actually favour its introduction.

Never seen one club consult their supporters on their vote which is also a disgrace. The enjoyment for the match going fan is going to significantly diminish. Every goal you’ll now celebrate half heartedly with the thought of it going to get ruled out for being a millimetre offside. For example, the McTominay goal against Isreal I only half celebrated as I was expecting some idiot monitoring VAR to completely over analyse it and try to rule it out.

I'm glad we won't be anywhere near the top flight any time soon. What a ridiculous decision.

Some people seem to think we voted against it but I think that’s down to the fact that we were the only club who bothered their arse to consult with fans on it.

Some people seem to think we voted against it but I think that’s down to the fact that we were the only club who bothered their arse to consult with fans on it.

I always knew our fiercest derby rivals were gid c***s.

I always knew our fiercest derby rivals were gid c***s.

Love you too

Now just let us win on Saturday and pump the Pars and then we’ll be square.

Edit: Patch that, we apparently voted in favour of it after a majority of our fans said they’d be in favour of it.

11 hours ago, queenslad said:

seems thats Fitzpatrick likely to be out for the season as he has suffered a set back

Nae luck, eh?  I've been a critic in the past but feel sorry for the lad, he'd just come on to some good form and started scoring regularly, he's been missed.  Wonder if he will stay - he'd probably shine at a level below next season.

seems thats Fitzpatrick likely to be out for the season as he has suffered a set back

Thats unfortunate. U could see the difference a run of games and some belief from the manager made to his performance level and attitude. Would have been good to have him for tomorrow as im sure he would have made us better.