The Queen of the South thread

All sounds very sensible and I agree with most (all) of it, except in an ideal world we would go back to a grass pitch again.

I think Josh Rae will also have a few other offers for next season. I would also give Nditi another contract, partly because he was good in the early part of the season before being mucked about with positionally and partly because we'll almost certainly be down a division, so he should be able to cope with that.

Yes, it would be great to see a the stadium and surrounds given a little TLC.

Edited by Riviera711

2 hours ago, Riviera711 said:

All sounds very sensible and I agree with most (all) of it, except in an ideal world we would go back to a grass pitch again.

I think Josh Rae will also have a few other offers for next season. I would also give Nditi another contract, partly because he was good in the early part of the season before being mucked about with positionally and partly because we'll almost certainly be down a division, so he should be able to cope with that.

Yes, it would be great to see a the stadium and surrounds given a little TLC.

Nditi seems to have fallen below Debayo in the pecking order under Gibson which could suggest he may be on his way out.  That said, with it being a near certainty that neither Max nor O'Connor will be here I wouldn't complain if he was offered a deal.  If we miraculously manage to stay up I wouldn't be shedding any tears if he was released.

We've played three of the supposed better sides in League One this season - Cove, Queens Park and Airdrie (the latter albeit in a dead rubber) - and from what I saw in those matches the current squad, despite it's failings, is at least on par with that trio so it may not be necessary to have the usual mass summer clear-out.

27 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Nditi seems to have fallen below Debayo in the pecking order under Gibson which could suggest he may be on his way out.  That said, with it being a near certainty that neither Max nor O'Connor will be here I wouldn't complain if he was offered a deal.  If we miraculously manage to stay up I wouldn't be shedding any tears if he was released.

We've played three of the supposed better sides in League One this season - Cove, Queens Park and Airdrie (the latter albeit in a dead rubber) - and from what I saw in those matches the current squad, despite it's failings, is at least on par with that trio so it may not be necessary to have the usual mass summer clear-out.

Thought Debayo played quite well against Thistle to be fair.

I'm sure Queens Park will strengthen their squad over the summer, they will see Tier 2 as the next step.

3 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

All this money Queen’s Park , Kelty & Cove Rangers are spending to climb the leagues but they don’t have a decent fan base. 

Some may ask what’s the point 

Because this is a professional sport, because their wealthy financial backers want to  ... and ... because they can ...

Surely it would be wise of the Queens board to make a decision on the current management team to enable them to get on with team plans now for next season regardless of division Queens end up in ?

Was talking about this on Friday. I know Todd has re-signed but I'm doubtful the other players we'd like to see stay would want to discuss a new contract if they don't know who they'll be playing under.

It's went all quite after Todd and McKay signed but that was after a couple of wins. As previous poster said I think we have the core of a team. Need a couple of solid defenders an experienced solid midfielder and some forwards that know the route to goal. McKay will be one of our main CB. I would like to see East play left back as he is good on ball and physically strong. If WG continues to play he could be our right back. Getting a forward that scores goals cost money so that might mean we have to sign potential.

46 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

It's went all quite after Todd and McKay signed but that was after a couple of wins. As previous poster said I think we have the core of a team. Need a couple of solid defenders an experienced solid midfielder and some forwards that know the route to goal. McKay will be one of our main CB. I would like to see East play left back as he is good on ball and physically strong. If WG continues to play he could be our right back. Getting a forward that scores goals cost money so that might mean we have to sign potential.

A would like to see East given a chance up front this week, he is a striker after all. Maybe we change up front might bring goals. 

A would like to see East given a chance up front this week, he is a striker after all. Maybe we change up front might bring goals. 

He's not shown anything in his time with us to suggest he's a goalscorer at this level. Much rather have him at CB where he's been significantly better.

The 4-4-2 deployed against Partick worked really well up until the “trigger had to be pulled”. I am still trying to work out why McGrory didn’t shoot from about 7 yards out when ball “was on his good foot” in second half.

Not sure about fitness situation but I would play Connelly up top with Cameron, drop Roy, play Paton and Todd wide unless Fitzpatrick has made a miraculous recovery in which case I would start him in favour of Todd.

It’s a no brainer to stick with 4-4-2 - let’s hope there is not an attempt to overthink the tactics.

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

He's not shown anything in his time with us to suggest he's a goalscorer at this level. Much rather have him at CB where he's been significantly better.

Neither have any of our strikers.... 

People keep referring to money in the bank. 

The £1 million detailed in the accounts isn't necessarily in the bank now. Although sent to shareholders in Feb this year, the accounts in fact covered the financial year up to 31 May 2021. The £1 million was in the bank as of 31 May 2021 - i.e before the start of the season. 

The board were forecasting a six figure loss for this season so at least part of it will have been spent. The majority of it was covid grants paid up front and intended to cover losses due to covid. I suspect a large part of that £1 million will have been spent by now. 

10 hours ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

People keep referring to money in the bank. 

The £1 million detailed in the accounts isn't necessarily in the bank now. Although sent to shareholders in Feb this year, the accounts in fact covered the financial year up to 31 May 2021. The £1 million was in the bank as of 31 May 2021 - i.e before the start of the season. 

The board were forecasting a six figure loss for this season so at least part of it will have been spent. The majority of it was covid grants paid up front and intended to cover losses due to covid. I suspect a large part of that £1 million will have been spent by now. 

You're probably right. Not sure what we have to show for it though. 

It's not like we even went nuts in the January transfer 

Edited by Kunter

14 minutes ago, Kunter said:

You're probably right. Not sure what we have to show for it though. 

It's not like we even went nuts in the January transfer 

As priti says above, the majority of the £1m would probably have been Government grants to cover Covid losses, I don't think the grant money could be spent on player budget or signings, so the amount actually available may not have been significant enough to go nuts with signings. 

Guest Flash
2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

As priti says above, the majority of the £1m would probably have been Government grants to cover Covid losses, I don't think the grant money could be spent on player budget or signings, so the amount actually available may not have been significant enough to go nuts with signings. 

The grant was intended to cover the operating costs which would include wages. So one of the things it was specifically intended for was player budgets. From memory, I think the main restrictions were on paying directors, repaying their loans or taking it out as dividends. 
I suspect the grant has been spent on player wages. It is just unfortunate that Johnston spent it on assembling a squad of duds who are about to be relegated.