The Queen of the South thread

30 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Remember going to a 0-3 humping at the old Broomfield back in the 70s .... we got seriously telt in more ways than one!

Good Airdrieonians side then though, think Derek Whiteford was captain back then.

I was never at the old Broomfield stadium. Reminds me of Fulham's Craven Cottage with the unusual corner changing facilities.

21 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Remember going to a 0-3 humping at the old Broomfield back in the 70s .... we got seriously telt in more ways than one!

Good Airdrieonians side then though, think Derek Whiteford was captain back then.

All joking aside, I don’t mind Airdrie.  I used to work with a couple of Airdrie fans and  they were brand new. Same when visiting the ground (post 90s) any of their fans I talked to were decent. 

Mind you, they are always good for three points. Not only that, they seem to have been languishing at the seaside since Cannon and Ball were in their pomp. So I do feel a bit nostalgic about them - the cheeky rascals. 

45 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

One of my early away trips that day to Broomfield. Went there with optimism  - we had a good side, Bally, Dempster , Reid etc and as you rightly say we were comprehensively dispatched by a very good Airdrie side. That day taught me a salutary lesson watching Queens - you have to be fully prepared for disappointment at all times. The higher the expectation the more likely the big let-down.

30 minutes ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

I was never at the old Broomfield stadium. Reminds me of Fulham's Craven Cottage with the unusual corner changing facilities.

Yeah, was a fine old stadium. Had a covered terrace all down one side opposite what was quite a low main stand. Could generate a good atmosphere.

9 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

One of my early away trips that day to Broomfield. Went there with optimism  - we had a good side, Bally, Dempster , Reid etc and as you rightly say we were comprehensively dispatched by a very good Airdrie side. That day taught me a salutary lesson watching Queens - you have to be fully prepared for disappointment at all times. The higher the expectation the more likely the big let-down.

We must be of a similar vintage then Rjc. Fine players those. Willie McLean had put a decent side together then. Fondly remember the classy Tommy O'Hara too, and Jim Donald (best man at Kenny Dalgleish's wedding IIRC.

Yeah, seem to think we went up there with optimism that day and got taught a lesson big time.

4 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

We must be of a similar vintage then Rjc. Fine players those. Willie McLean had put a decent side together then. Fondly remember the classy Tommy O'Hara too, and Jim Donald (best man at Kenny Dalgleish's wedding IIRC.

Yeah, seem to think we went up there with optimism that day and got taught a lesson big time.

Yes a lot of really classy performers - in the 70s we signed so many players from the Junior ranks something that just doesn’t happen now. Players like Dempster, Donald. Tommy Bryce mark 1, Crawford Boyd all came direct from the Juniors. We obviously had a network of scouts at that time because these 4 all came to us from unfashionable Junior teams. Changed days indeed. 

4 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Just discovered that the wonderfully named Nortei Nortey is now playing with the equally wonderfully named Northern Colorado Hailstorm 🤣

Friend of Ayo Obileye still plying his trade in Scotland with Livingston.

I noticed that Connor Shields played the full game for Motherwell today and getting a run in the team now.

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Yes a lot of really classy performers - in the 70s we signed so many players from the Junior ranks something that just doesn’t happen now. Players like Dempster, Donald. Tommy Bryce mark 1, Crawford Boyd all came direct from the Juniors. We obviously had a network of scouts at that time because these 4 all came to us from unfashionable Junior teams. Changed days indeed. 

Yep.

Dempster from Muirkirk, Donald from Renfrew, Boyd from Irvine Meadow and did Bryce arrive from Johnston Burgh (not sure)?

8 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Pretty sure Boyd was signed from Largs Thistle.

Cheers, my memory's not 100% reliable these days, knew it was one of the north Ayrshire juniors. Great defender, hard as nails.

1 hour ago, the_palmy_pie said:

I’ve just read elsewhere the pitch won’t be replaced until the Summer of 2023. 

That is the least of our worries .

Every penny we have must go to the 1st team budget.

Going to be very difficult to get out of League 1 look at Falkirk they have not even made the playoffs .

41 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Going to be very difficult to get out of League 1 look at Falkirk they have not even made the playoffs .

I can see Queens being happy mid table in League One for a good number of seasons with no fear of relegation to League Two or pushing for the play-offs for the Championship.

I can see Queens being happy mid table in League One for a good number of seasons with no fear of relegation to League Two or pushing for the play-offs for the Championship.
And why on earth would we be happy with that?

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
16 minutes ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

You’re best to try ignore this troll. 

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

Surely you're not going to have the money that Falkirk did so a better example is look at how Montrose and Airdrie have done with modest budgets. Spending money in the right place is better than pissing a fortune up the wall.

23 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
31 minutes ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

That's the ambition of the current hierarchy at Palmerston