The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Homer Thompson said:
I think you're reading far too much into fans winding up the opposition fans after a win. Nobody thought Roy was anything special. 

He appears more concerned about Roy than any QoS fans, that's for sure.

Airdrie - Christ, I’d completely forgotten about them. 

27 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I think that we were in need of a reset anyway, having flirted with the drop for 3 or 4 years now. So a season or two outside the Championship is probably not a bad thing right now, chance to take stock and regroup etc. Just hope it's not more than a couple of seasons though. 🤞

I kind of agree.

I'm not entirely sure what we mean by reset though.  It does feel like this fate is overdue.  What we've had for years now has been incredibly unappealing, as reflected in gates.

Does a reset just mean a spell of winning more frequently than has been our habit, or does it mean more fundamental change? 

3 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Actually think we should try keep some of this squad together for next year - Todd, Paton, MacKay, East, McKennie, Fitzpatrick, Gibson, Cochrane, McGrory. Out of all the loan players I’d only be happy to keep O’Connor, but he’s out of contract and will surely get better offers from elsewhere.

Think it’s inevitable that Rae and Connelly will get offers from Championship clubs as well.

Sounds stupid to say but don’t think we are actually that far away. We obviously need to improve in both boxes, an experienced centre half to play beside East and a proven goal scorer and we wouldn’t be far away away.

Who knows if this is being overly optimistic. With Gibson in charge, hopefully enough of the players are happy to play under him again next year. 

East a good sub to have but not as a regular for me .

At fault in the Cup Final and the Partick goal he must go to the danger not do nothing .

McKay and a experienced centre back something we have needed all season .

We  must try the  mix of full and part time try and get the best part time players we just can't compete with other  full time clubs when is comes to wages probable the reason we have such a young  full time squad this season. 

The manager do we still have to take Wullie even if it ends up we lose our last 10 games for me we need a experienced manager who can build a squad but if it must be Wullie  as most fans want then it has to be a 1 year contract Wullie has never even signed a player never mind a squad at our level 

38 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

Airdrie - Christ, I’d completely forgotten about them. 

A rarely uttered phrase about us pantomime villains and especially funny coming from a fan of a pH 0, paint colour: magnolia fitba club 😂

A rarely uttered phrase about us pantomime villains and especially funny coming from a fan of a pH 0, paint colour: magnolia fitba club [emoji23]

Yes. Much better to be regarded a Nazi than be beige of course...

35 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

A rarely uttered phrase about us pantomime villains and especially funny coming from a fan of a pH 0, paint colour: magnolia fitba club 😂

Next season's gonna be a real bundle of laughs like ...

52 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I kind of agree.

I'm not entirely sure what we mean by reset though.  It does feel like this fate is overdue.  What we've had for years now has been incredibly unappealing, as reflected in gates.

Does a reset just mean a spell of winning more frequently than has been our habit, or does it mean more fundamental change? 

I wouldn't analyse what I say too deeply MT, I talk bollocks a lot of the time.

But yes, my idea of reset is very vague. It does as you say include winning more frequently, playing a more adventurous style which will maybe encourage some fans back. I think it also hopes there's more of a strategic change to recruitment with a longer term view and a move away from the hire as cheap as chips and dump them all at the end of each season approach to something with a longer term view. Especially with some cash in the bank.

If we stick with WG, then Greenacres has a point in that recruitment will be a real test for him and it's one of the hardest tasks a manager has at this level. There will be 20 Diddy clubs fishing in the same pond of circa 400 hopefuls, plus the option to gamble on some unknowns beyond our borders. I'm not sure I envy any manager that task - any error and your job is on the line for sure.

11 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I wouldn't analyse what I say too deeply MT, I talk bollocks a lot of the time.

But yes, my idea of reset is very vague. It does as you say include winning more frequently, playing a more adventurous style which will maybe encourage some fans back. I think it also hopes there's more of a strategic change to recruitment with a longer term view and a move away from the hire as cheap as chips and dump them all at the end of each season approach to something with a longer term view. Especially with some cash in the bank.

If we stick with WG, then Greenacres has a point in that recruitment will be a real test for him and it's one of the hardest tasks a manager has at this level. There will be 20 Diddy clubs fishing in the same pond of circa 400 hopefuls, plus the option to gamble on some unknowns beyond our borders. I'm not sure I envy any manager that task - any error and your job is on the line for sure.

I wasn't meaning to interrogate your meaning, because I feel the same way.

I was prattling on here a few weeks ago about a 'reset', but I'm not entirely sure what I meant either.  I feel that change is necessary though, because nobody could look at recent history and call this season a blip.

I suppose I want us to use the change of setting to take a look at models of recruitment and maybe the whole FT/PT thing.  I'd also not object to changing the pitch, but I know that's not happening.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I wasn't meaning to interrogate your meaning, because I feel the same way.

I was prattling on here a few weeks ago about a 'reset', but I'm not entirely sure what I meant either.  I feel that change is necessary though, because nobody could look at recent history and call this season a blip.

I suppose I want us to use the change of setting to take a look at models of recruitment and maybe the whole FT/PT thing.  I'd also not object to changing the pitch, but I know that's not happening.

Yep, a real opportunity to freshen things up.

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

My comment seems to have caused offence.

It has been a while since we crossed swords in the league though. How long has it been - it must be over a decade? 

It was of course 2009/10.  Airdrie United at that time?

If so next season could be the first league season we play Airdrieonians then.

34ABC768-CFC3-44EB-9BA2-CA612A915120.jpeg

Edited by qos_75
Update

6 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Actually think we should try keep some of this squad together for next year - Todd, Paton, MacKay, East, McKennie, Fitzpatrick, Gibson, Cochrane, McGrory. Out of all the loan players I’d only be happy to keep O’Connor, but he’s out of contract and will surely get better offers from elsewhere.

Think it’s inevitable that Rae and Connelly will get offers from Championship clubs as well.

Sounds stupid to say but don’t think we are actually that far away. We obviously need to improve in both boxes, an experienced centre half to play beside East and a proven goal scorer and we wouldn’t be far away away.

Who knows if this is being overly optimistic. With Gibson in charge, hopefully enough of the players are happy to play under him again next year. 

Was thinking along the same lines. We could get another experienced CB to play alongside McKay. East has done well enough there why not play him at LB if he stays he is strong and good on the ball. I would like us not to have to totally rebuild again for next year. Going on last night's game WG should definitely play on next year but does he want the extra pressure of managing the team as well. Midfield wise  Cochrane and McGrory are still young and are learning. But still think we needs somebody with experience in there as well. WG should have a lot of contacts in the game and hopefully he can influence players to come and play for us. I know we are losing games but we are playing better football than before we just can't score.  Connelly last few games have been poor he needs to play either upfront or as a 10. Did not reise O'Connor was out of contract in the summer. I slated his first couple of games but he has turned out to be a good defender. He will get championship offers I would imagine. 

Guest Flash
23 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

It has been a while since we crossed swords in the league though. How long has it been - it must be over a decade? 

2009/10.
Btw, I phoned the Count and he said Queens can’t be officially relegated next weekend either. The earliest is now ICT on the 19th. 

Ayr showing real grit today to come back from 0-2 - something that we just never look remotely like doing.

A win last night and things would have looked so much better. 

Unbelievably, we still have a chance of 9th. To try and somehow score goals I think we need to partner Cameron with Connelly up top. That is the obvious pairing - I am no big fan of Cameron but we need to get Connelly firing and you won’t do that playing him in a wide role. I don’t think a Roy:Connelly partnership would work.

All these must win Cup Finals and we lose every one - surely we are due some outrageous luck for once?

7 minutes ago, Flash said:

2009/10.
Btw, I phoned the Count and he said Queens can’t be officially relegated next weekend either. The earliest is now ICT on the 19th. 

You are right Flash.

However, The Count takes no pleasure in saying Queens will be relegated in 2 weeks.

That said, he does look forward to 1 January 2023 when he starts his countdown to Queens winning the league. 😀 

0227059E-8104-463B-9C3E-65F05503C6AD.jpeg

59 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

It was of course 2009/10.  Airdrie United at that time?

If so next season could be the first league season we play Airdrieonians then.

34ABC768-CFC3-44EB-9BA2-CA612A915120.jpeg

Queens must have played the old Airdrieonians on league duty a good number of years ago....

36 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Ayr showing real grit today to come back from 0-2 - something that we just never look remotely like doing.

A win last night and things would have looked so much better. 

Unbelievably, we still have a chance of 9th. To try and somehow score goals I think we need to partner Cameron with Connelly up top. That is the obvious pairing - I am no big fan of Cameron but we need to get Connelly firing and you won’t do that playing him in a wide role. I don’t think a Roy:Connelly partnership would work.

All these must win Cup Finals and we lose every one - surely we are due some outrageous luck for once?

I would definitely play Connelly up front, he never gets as involved out wide. Hes far more dangerous picking up the ball centrally and taking shots than he is out wide crossing.

31 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

You are right Flash.

However, The Count takes no pleasure in saying Queens will be relegated in 2 weeks.

That said, he does look forward to 1 January 2023 when he starts his countdown to Queens winning the league. 😀 

Welcome back, Count :) 

34 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

You are right Flash.

Incoming ..... return of The Count ... what's not to like! 👌

27 minutes ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

Queens must have played the old Airdrieonians on league duty a good number of years ago....

Remember going to a 0-3 humping at the old Broomfield back in the 70s .... we got seriously telt in more ways than one!

Good Airdrieonians side then though, think Derek Whiteford was captain back then.