The Queen of the South thread

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The malaise is undeniable and we are now in quite worrying times.

It's genuinely hard to see a way forward, certainly in the medium term.  Our manager clearly isn't very good, but given his contract situation and the fact that we're still in touch with the sides nearest us, I don't think he's going anywhere.  

That brings us to the boardroom change some are calling for.  That's even harder to envisage than change in the dugout.  Even when people ask who would replace a manager, we know that there will always be applicants.  Who would replace board members though?  It's hard to see a mechanism for such a thing, regardless of whether or not it's desirable.  

Right now, I'd almost take a relegation, a reversion to part-time status and the laying of a grass pitch as a sort of re-set.  I should probably be careful what I wish for, but I'm losing interest in this steady, elongated decline.

It is understandable to be looking for a reset. But even if all three of those things happen, it might not turn out to be a reset and the steady, elongated decline might continue.
I think we all have different views on what should happen - sack the manager or replace the board or get relegated and go part-time. Some of them might overlap. But what we all have in common is that we are sick of bumbling about at the bottom of the league and getting knocked out the two main Cups early on. There has been virtually nothing to get excited about since around the time of the Skelton farce.

1 minute ago, Flash said:

It is understandable to be looking for a reset. But even if all three of those things happen, it might not turn out to be a reset and the steady, elongated decline might continue.
I think we all have different views on what should happen - sack the manager or replace the board or get relegated and go part-time. Some of them might overlap. But what we all have in common is that we are sick of bumbling about at the bottom of the league and getting knocked out the two main Cups early on. There has been virtually nothing to get excited about since around the time of the Skelton farce.

Yes, that's about the size of it.

I fully accept that my proposed elements of a reset, might represent no such thing.  They could easily come as further steps in our descent.

Your last lines are spot on.  We're all impotently lamenting the current and recent experience of being a Queens fan.

Changing tact for a moment, but in all likelihood still adding to the despondency (sorry!), it's my view that there are some serious issues with our youth system which need addressed on top of everything else.

Having some time on my hands today I thought I would check back on what players have made their competitive first team debuts since our promotion in 2013 who progressed directly* from our youth set up.  It makes for grim reading:

The full list is Scott Hooper, Dean Smith, Aidan Smith, Jake Pickard, Owen Moxon, Dean Brotherston, Connor Murray, Owen Bell, Jack Leighfield, Ross Fergusson, Jesse Akubuine, Dan Harvey, Dean Watson, Declan Tremble, Robbie Ivison, Ewan Gourlay, Ross Irving, Charlie Cowie, Dom McMahon, Scott Dunn, Connor Potts & Ryan Muir.

* Lyndon Dykes and Josh Todd excluded as they both spent a significant time away from Queens before debuting.

So basically that means only Connor Murray has looked remotely capable of playing at a top 3 division level (although I would hope that Dunn & Cowie may join him) and the remainder are jobbing away in the Lowland/SOS leagues or at local league 2 clubs.

What is going wrong?  Is it the coaching?  Poor recruitment?  A reluctance of managers to give them a chance and a run in the team?

Interest in the team may grow if home-grown products were given more of a chance.  Given that we have an annual clear out of players and resort to scattergun recruitment of cast-offs, loanees and players untried at this level I think it would help in the long run if we were proudly able to field players that we have developed ourselves.  Not only would fans be able to form an attachment to these players (they don't have to be local for this to happen), the players may have an increased sense of pride and loyalty, and we might be able to save ourselves a few bob too and find the odd gem.

It does seem like a root and branch reform of the youth policy is needed... otherwise why bother with it?

Queens must have some kind of record for being knocked out of cups by teams a league lower than us over the last 12 years. I cannot think of any other team that have been beaten as regularly by lower league teams

Cove Rangers, Queens Park, East Fife, Montrose, 

Time for change is the cry by most on social media . My thoughts on  this may differ from most .

i have watching queens since 1972 ( was very young ) . 
when season started I was hopeful of a decent season and even after indifferent start . We have showed glimpses of decent football.

i now look at team and think a lot are not good enough thou we have a decent first 11 but that is it . I would play a 352

Brynn

east         McKay       Debayo

johnston cochrane Gibson Todd cooper

connely roy

I think a run of 4 or 5 games with same team would really help us.I still think we can turn this round . 
I am 50/50 on manager 

my main concern for my club is if the current board  leave because no matter what people think they have put money into club and I think there are quite healthy regards funds un bank . 
I have no idea of any one willing to come into club with the money to move the club on . 
I think the club do need to bring in a pr person to make club more transparent to the fans as I see it we never get good or bad news from the club . 
so a question for all fans who is saying  we need change who is out there willing to put real money into club and move the club forward as they would want . I think there is no one at present time . 

30 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Queens must have some kind of record for being knocked out of cups by teams a league lower than us over the last 12 years. I cannot think of any other team that have been beaten as regularly by lower league teams

Cove Rangers, Queens Park, East Fife, Montrose, 

Don't forget Albion Rovers, East Kilbride, Brechin and Clyde  😧

17 hours ago, lowland star said:

Time for change is the cry by most on social media . My thoughts on  this may differ from most .

i have watching queens since 1972 ( was very young ) . 
when season started I was hopeful of a decent season and even after indifferent start . We have showed glimpses of decent football.

i now look at team and think a lot are not good enough thou we have a decent first 11 but that is it . I would play a 352

Brynn

east         McKay       Debayo

johnston cochrane Gibson Todd cooper

connely roy

I think a run of 4 or 5 games with same team would really help us.I still think we can turn this round . 
I am 50/50 on manager 

my main concern for my club is if the current board  leave because no matter what people think they have put money into club and I think there are quite healthy regards funds un bank . 
I have no idea of any one willing to come into club with the money to move the club on . 
I think the club do need to bring in a pr person to make club more transparent to the fans as I see it we never get good or bad news from the club . 
so a question for all fans who is saying  we need change who is out there willing to put real money into club and move the club forward as they would want . I think there is no one at present time . 

Whether Johnston is here or not (I hope he goes) I would say that formation and team selection is a good shout. 

A major problem with getting local investment is that they would have to work with Hewitson and I don't think many people want to do that. Is there many local business owners that have the money to invest? 

Whether Johnston is here or not (I hope he goes) I would say that formation and team selection is a good shout. 
A major problem with getting local investment is that they would have to work with Hewitson and I don't think many people want to do that. Is there many local business owners that have the money to invest? 

Get wee Rab Smith on board. I never see Domino records open but it's been there for decades. He's clearly doing something right!

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Get wee Rab Smith on board. I never see Domino records open but it's been there for decades. He's clearly doing something right!

Why would wee  Rab Smith want to get involved with Queens what a stupid post from a so called fan who when the going gets tough decides he will no longer support Queens. 

14 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Why would wee  Rab Smith want to get involved with Queens what a stupid post from a so called fan who when the going gets tough decides he will no longer support Queens. 

^^^ This from a "supporter" whose every post is riddled with negativity. 

I missed Tuesday night due to work commitments.  Going from what I have heard I think I definitely had the good end of the deal!

There is a genuine malaise about the place now, and like others I find it hard to see where we go from here.  In the immediate here and now this result must surely make Johnston's position untenable.  A defeat on Saturday I think will see a marked increase in calls for his head.  Not sure how much longer our board can continue to ignore these calls.  There will always be a disgruntled element of the support, but when this starts to form the majority and long term supporters vote with their feet you have a problem.  

Regardless of when you part company with a manager there will always be a number of applications (good and bad) for the post.  Sacking a board however welcome it may be at times is a bit more difficult.  I don't see a queue of interested parties forming on Terregles Street to replace them.  I don't doubt that our board have the best of intentions, but there needs to be better lines of communication.  Right now the silence is deafening.  

Can't see anything changing until after the 2nd quarter fixtures complete.

I'm sure that the club/AJ are already in discussions with loanees for the January window and the board are probably putting their hopes in that particular get out of jail card. No doubt they look at our wee mini league and think a couple of wins would have a big impact. January has saved us before and all that.

That's a strategy of some kind I suppose, but it's hardly going to remotivate a thoroughly demoralised fan base.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Can't see anything changing until after the 2nd quarter fixtures complete.

I'm sure that the club/AJ are already in discussions with loanees for the January window and the board are probably putting their hopes in that particular get out of jail card. No doubt they look at our wee mini league and think a couple of wins would have a big impact. January has saved us before and all that.

That's a strategy of some kind I suppose, but it's hardly going to remotivate a thoroughly demoralised fan base.

I think you're right, but I can see the stalling running in perpetuity.

After going bottom of the table, the Scottish Cup Tie felt make or break.  Now it's the December fixtures against those down there with us.  Then it'll be the January window.  Before long after that, we'll be hanging on for the Challenge Cup semi.  

I think the reality is that the contractual picture will keep Johnston in post for the foreseeable.  Even after relegation, I can see him staying on to mastermind our return.

I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if he survives all these crunch stages and fixtures, despite continued failure.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think you're right, but I can see the stalling running in perpetuity.

After going bottom of the table, the Scottish Cup Tie felt make or break.  Now it's the December fixtures against those down there with us.  Then it'll be the January window.  Before long after that, we'll be hanging on for the Challenge Cup semi.  

I think the reality is that the contractual picture will keep Johnston in post for the foreseeable.  Even after relegation, I can see him staying on to mastermind our return.

I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if he survives all these crunch stages and fixtures, despite continued failure.

Tend to agree. The only doubt I have is whether he would survive relegation but, even then, it is possible he would because he got both us and Dunfermline promoted from L1, in addition to the contract situation. I think the earliest point he would be sacked is if we were cut adrift in March.

2 hours ago, Swarley said:

What's Paul Burns up to these days? Did he go into coaching/management?

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Was managing Cumnock Juniors but I see they've got a new Manager so not sure if he's still involved there. 

He was Cumnock manager for less than a year (Dec 2018-Nov 2019). From what I can see, he just gave up playing this summer.