The Queen of the South thread

9 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I can understand where your coming from. I must be around your age and I never thought I'd be so  disenchanted watching Queens. Even when Gus was in charge I tried to get to every game home and away but now it's home games only with the odd close away games. Maybe the interruption of Covid stopping fans from attending took a bit of the appetite away, watching streams just became too easy. We're now living from season to season, having to build new squads every time, players don't have any affinity to the fans or club and the fans haven't time to build an affinity with the players, fighting relegation is now the norm. I understand the Board of Directors have a duty to run the club responsibly, keep spending in check, etc, but there must also be a sign of ambition, a feeling that they are at least  trying to build up to something better than just barely surviving as a full time Championship team. Sadly we are just treading water, there's an apparent lethargy right throughout the Club and its now spread to the supporters and who can honestly blame more and more for losing interest. 

Yes, good post.

I think it probably captures how many now feel.

Obviously, our manager's not very good, but beyond that situation, I'm not really sure what the board needs to do differently.

It's hugely unappealing though.  Our core support is clearly dwindling.  The worry is just how far that process might reach.

On 22/11/2021 at 13:00, qos1990 said:

Our best centre half and we punt him from pillar to post. Mental playing him left back Friday and Debayo a left back to trade at centre half

He was our best centre half but that is 2 games now he has made crazy decisions that have cost us .

Roberto will now get a 2 game break hopefully will come back with his early season form but as I have said we need more experience and strength especially right through the spine of the team .

The board will hope AJ can turn it around in Jan like last season  with some good loan signing .

I just can't see them taking the gamble of sacking AJ with no guarantee that we will be any better.

Any cash would be better invested trying to improve the squad in Jan. rather than using it to pay off a manager 

10 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I can understand where your coming from. I must be around your age and I never thought I'd be so  disenchanted watching Queens. Even when Gus was in charge I tried to get to every game home and away but now it's home games only with the odd close away games. Maybe the interruption of Covid stopping fans from attending took a bit of the appetite away, watching streams just became too easy. We're now living from season to season, having to build new squads every time, players don't have any affinity to the fans or club and the fans haven't time to build an affinity with the players, fighting relegation is now the norm. I understand the Board of Directors have a duty to run the club responsibly, keep spending in check, etc, but there must also be a sign of ambition, a feeling that they are at least  trying to build up to something better than just barely surviving as a full time Championship team. Sadly we are just treading water, there's an apparent lethargy right throughout the Club and its now spread to the supporters and who can honestly blame more and more for losing interest. 

Great summary FTB, won't be many on here to disagree with you.

Yesterday at Cove highlighted how the players look as though they are actually scared to win games. We took an undeserved lead yesterday at 2-1 and had the added advantage of a biting 20/25 mph behind us. It would have been the perfect time to take a high defensive line (aided by the wind) and go all out for the decisive third goal. Instead of that we drift deeper and deeper allowing Cove midfield 3 to dominate and create chance after chance. The inevitable equaliser duly arrives after several great saves from Brynn.

This so called 4-3-3 is a really phoney system because we never leave 3 up - it becomes a deep lying 4-5-1 with the lone striker left to chase the proverbial “lost causes”. Surely it has to be ditched - not sure how much more of Flash’s statistical evidence is required but yesterday we weren’t even brave enough to get on the front foot with a Gale behind us!!!

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Yesterday at Cove highlighted how the players look as though they are actually scared to win games. We took an undeserved lead yesterday at 2-1 and had the added advantage of a biting 20/25 mph behind us. It would have been the perfect time to take a high defensive line (aided by the wind) and go all out for the decisive third goal. Instead of that we drift deeper and deeper allowing Cove midfield 3 to dominate and create chance after chance. The inevitable equaliser duly arrives after several great saves from Brynn.

This so called 4-3-3 is a really phoney system because we never leave 3 up - it becomes a deep lying 4-5-1 with the lone striker left to chase the proverbial “lost causes”. Surely it has to be ditched - not sure how much more of Flash’s statistical evidence is required but yesterday we weren’t even brave enough to get on the front foot with a Gale behind us!!!

What had me fuming in the dying minutes of yesterday's game was our entire team being hemmed in, and we had a couple of decent chances to play it out, but instead of the player in possession running out with the ball he panicked and  just hit  it to the halfway line and it came right  back at us. Even if the players didn't have an out ball they should at least have tried to hit it into touch as far up the park as possible just to take the sting out of the game. Less panic and better decision making by the players under pressure would possibly have seen us hold out for the win. 

My real concern at the moment is the apathy shown by us, Queens fans. Many of us have been on this journey for years...in my case almost 70 years...but we're totally fed up with the way the team are playing at present and the results. Not for a second do I think managing Queens is an easy gig, it's not, but our current management team do not inspire confidence that all of a sudden they'll turn the current squad (which they brought in) into a winning team, and this when most of us believe we have a better squad than last year. And I'm not one for complaining about the Board either as by and large over the years they've done a reasonable job but the lack of updates from them is a real concern. In fact the only person we hear about is Dan Armstrong who continues to do a fantastic job for the club...our only hero at present. To say the next three games, all at home, are in the must win bracket but when did we last put together back to back wins at home? Some changes are urgently required or crowds will continue to fall and more worrying in the long term interest in the club. Maybe Santa will be good to us!

My real concern at the moment is the apathy shown by us, Queens fans. Many of us have been on this journey for years...in my case almost 70 years...but we're totally fed up with the way the team are playing at present and the results. Not for a second do I think managing Queens is an easy gig, it's not, but our current management team do not inspire confidence that all of a sudden they'll turn the current squad (which they brought in) into a winning team, and this when most of us believe we have a better squad than last year. And I'm not one for complaining about the Board either as by and large over the years they've done a reasonable job but the lack of updates from them is a real concern. In fact the only person we hear about is Dan Armstrong who continues to do a fantastic job for the club...our only hero at present. To say the next three games, all at home, are in the must win bracket but when did we last put together back to back wins at home? Some changes are urgently required or crowds will continue to fall and more worrying in the long term interest in the club. Maybe Santa will be good to us!

The product on the park is the biggest reason for the apathy, I'd agree. But it's not as if we support QoS for the glory. We've had more shite seasons than good and I've lived through our Golden Years period.

I think it is a combination of on and off the park. The Rangers vote all those years ago still sticks in the craw. It was a terrible decision and showed how far away from the fans the BoD are. Just when we were finally (well, for me personally anyway) moving on from it they make an even bigger blunder with the Galloway incident. To then issue the statements in the way they did was both hilarious and contemptuous. They clearly learned nothing from the Rangers saga.

I may be alone but my thinking of the BoD just now is that they couldn't give much of a f**k about the fans in both on and off the field matters if they continue to let us pay £18 to watch the drivel being served up. If that's how they think of us then it's hard to give a shit in return.

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Knocked out by a side a league below us or getting hammered at Easter Road?

Sophie's choice.

Get the Hibs tie if nothing else the club will be gauranteed a bit more money be enough to pay off the management.... 

Get the Hibs tie if nothing else the club will be gauranteed a bit more money be enough to pay off the management.... 

If that was a guarantee I'd stand shouting encouragement all by myself to the players for the full 90 minutes of the Cove game.

While I have you Queens’ fans, Pars are hosting a food bank appeal at our game at EEP on 11th Dec.

Everyone is being encouraged to take part and all those under 12s who arrive with a donation will get in for free.

More info here:

https://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Festive_Foodbank_Appeal&ID=13450&fbclid=IwAR1oberEmN1k2fe1Y_8cti4X7XgrI4pcc8YEjmCQNanZJYTl5oT1444DT80

On 29/11/2021 at 12:13, 19QOS19 said:

The Rangers vote all those years ago still sticks in the craw. It was a terrible decision and showed how far away from the fans the BoD are.

That’s the one thing for me, the lingering voice at the back of my mind, reminding me of the only time I think they didn’t have the clubs best interests at heart. 

Shameful on every level. 

On 29/11/2021 at 10:15, BeeJay said:

I think the last time we won three home games in a row was in August 2017 when we beat Brechin in the league, Airdrie in the Challenge Cup and Dumbarton in the league.