The Queen of the South thread

Have to say, I like to think I keep fairly clued up on Scottish football. When I read your team line-up today, there was a fair few I'd never heard of and a couple of others that I thought had completely fallen away and were done at this level. Turns out one of the latter was your captain. That's bloody grim.

Dan Pybus is a player I've really liked and half hoped we went for him in the summer but even he looked utter pish today.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Dan Pybus is a player I've really liked and half hoped we went for him in the summer but even he looked utter pish today.

He's been consistently overrated by everyone that isn't a Queens fan for most of his time with us. An utterly pointless football player.

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Have to say, I like to think I keep fairly clued up on Scottish football. When I read your team line-up today, there was a fair few I'd never heard of and a couple of others that I thought had completely fallen away and were done at this level. Turns out one of the latter was your captain. That's bloody grim.

The best thing Pybus has done is feature in an episode of The Simpsons. 

Utterly hopeless.

DURE_XcZYcBOrZzalcgulGjG3Jk=.gif

On 21/12/2020 at 09:20, Skyline Drifter said:

Which would tell you what? The book worth of the companies they have shares in? Not sure that proves an awful lot and I'm absolutely certain that Companycheck.co.uk don't have access to their personal bank balances or have the first clue what personal liabilities and expenses they may have.

If life has taught me anything over the years it's that speculation about individual wealth is just exactly that, idle speculation with very little relevance to facts.

It obviously doesn’t give the entire picture, but business shareholdings are clearly a significant indicator of wealth, and typically represent a significant element of the portfolio of assets that combine to make up a business person’s net wealth.

A cursory view shows that in the case of the most valuable company in his business portfolio, which alone is valued in multiple millions, he is sole director, and Companies House data confirms he has significant control, owning >75% of shares and voting rights.

Of course, in a full assessment of net worth, business assets / shareholder funds will be supplemented by personal assets such as property, savings, pensions, and other investments. So, in all likelihood business shareholder funds will only contribute a proportion of total wealth.

The suggestion that his personal liabilities might exceed his personal assets and thereby diminish the value of his overall portfolio to the extent that his net worth isn’t in multiples of millions seems slightly far-fetched tbh. I agree that his business assets are only indicative of a proportion of his total wealth though, and don’t tell the whole story. His total wealth will almost certainly exceed the value of his business shareholdings alone.

I don’t think it’s remotely speculative (given the information that is in the public domain) to suggest that he fits fairly comfortably within the multi-millionaire category. I’m not sure why this suggestion would be remotely controversial. Good for him.

Edited by Frankie S

24 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

It obviously doesn’t give the entire picture, but business shareholdings are clearly a significant indicator of wealth, and typically represent a significant element of the portfolio of assets that combine to make up a business person’s net wealth.

A cursory view shows that in the case of the most valuable company in his business portfolio, which alone is valued in multiple millions, he is sole director, and Companies House data confirms he has significant control, owning >75% of shares and voting rights.

Of course, in a full assessment of net worth, business assets / shareholder funds will be supplemented by personal assets such as property, savings, pensions, and other investments. So, in all likelihood business shareholder funds will only contribute a proportion of total wealth.

The suggestion that his personal liabilities might exceed his personal assets and thereby diminish the value of his overall portfolio to the extent that his net worth isn’t in multiples of millions seems slightly far-fetched tbh. I agree that his business assets are only indicative of a proportion of his total wealth though, and don’t tell the whole story. His total wealth will almost certainly exceed the value of his business shareholdings alone.

I don’t think it’s remotely speculative (given the information that is in the public domain) to suggest that he fits fairly comfortably within the multi-millionaire category. I’m not sure why this suggestion would be remotely controversial. Good for him.

Great. Except nobody said he wasnt a multi-millionaire

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm struggling just now. And I never missed a home game the season we were relegated so I can't even put it down to just being a fair weather fan. There is just an air of "ah f**k it" coming from the club just now and it seems to be catching.

This season feels altogether different to the Gus one for various reasons.

I don't know about others, but I feel that my wider interest in football has waned a bit this year.  Without crowds, it just seems to matter less, but maybe that's just me.

The side under Gus, allthough hopeless, was nowhere near as bad as this one.  We were competitive in most games, but usually came away losing or drawing, with a particular habit of conceding important late goals.  This team, however, is usually dead and buried by half time.  We are routinely shipping 3 or 4 goals and have that general air of being in completely the wrong division.

It's really hard to care right now, because any emotional investment just feels pointless, as any hope is being snuffed out so early and so comprehensively each week.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This season feels altogether different to the Gus one for various reasons.

I don't know about others, but I feel that my wider interest in football has waned a bit this year.  Without crowds, it just seems to matter less, but maybe that's just me.

The side under Gus, allthough hopeless, was nowhere near as bad as this one.  We were competitive in most games, but usually came away losing or drawing, with a particular habit of conceding important late goals.  This team, however, is usually dead and buried by half time.  We are routinely shipping 3 or 4 goals and have that general air of being in completely the wrong division.

It's really hard to care right now, because any emotional investment just feels pointless, as any hope is being snuffed out so early and so comprehensively each week.

I'm with you here, this team are just hopeless, comfortably the worst in my 20 years watching Queens. Without the opportunity to vent at the game on a Saturday, it's really hard to find the motivation to engage with it.

9 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Yes. The club seems to have rolled the red carpet out for him, which is more embarrassing than the team at the moment.

And shit like this doesn't help. What the f**k are the club up to?

I think Gus at least acknowledged we were really poor and tried to make us stuffy and hard to beat.  Obviously it didn't work, and the problem with such a strategy is as soon as you go a goal down your plan A is gone and we didn't really have the ability to successfully apply a plan B.  We were at least competitive in some games under Macpherson, not least when drawing at Pittodrie.  I wouldn't trust Allan Johnston to drive to Aberdeen unassisted, never mind picking up a result there.

I find it hard to show any interest in an organisation that thought it was acceptable to have 3 signed defenders on the books, it really is brexit levels of self-harm and surely the worst decision our club have ever made.

Oh wait... 🙄

• Homer Thompson changed the title to The Queen of the South thread