The Queen of the South thread

32 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Agree 100% with this 

_20201226_202430.JPG

Aye I'm sure that you'll be able to get four Championship standard players in, bag your manager and get a replacement in - all in a single January transfer window - no bother. Problem solved!

Think part of the jigsaw here is whether these were the best players AJ could sign on a Championship budget, or if the board chose to cut our cloth given the pandemic and knowingly sign cheap but useless duds.

If the latter, and if the financial outlook has now changed since the start of the season (e.g. due to the grant, unexpected levels of sponsorship, streaming income, Dykes fees coming through, or whatever), the board might think its logical and/or fair to give AJ a transfer window with a proper budget.

Not sure that I would agree from the outside, given how badly we did last year, but it would make some kind of sense.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

2 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Think part of the jigsaw here is whether these were the best players AJ could sign on a Championship budget, or if the board chose to cut our cloth given the pandemic and knowingly sign cheap but useless duds.

If the latter, and if the financial outlook has now changed since the start of the season (e.g. due to the grant, unexpected levels of sponsorship, streaming income, Dykes fees coming through, or whatever), the board might think its logical and/or fair to give AJ a transfer window with a proper budget.

Not sure that I would agree from the outside, given how badly we did last year, but it would make some kind of sense.

Championship budget he could have resigned players he had last season that are far better than we have now.... 

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Imagine being in the position of only keeping your job because your employer doesn’t have enough money to sack you. 

I've heard regarding some managers getting the sack or resigning, the club still has to pay their wages to the end of their contract, that situation is not uncommon.

22 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

I suspect the view at the outset this season was that there was a risk of it being this bad, but a reasonable hope that it wouldn't be.

With two part time sides, we could have felt there was an ok chance we'd do enough to be alright.  The risk that we wouldn't though, probably seemed and maybe still seems worth running.  

Of course, the two year contract for AJ is questionable.  Of course his recruitment, even allowing for constraints, has been crap.  It's possible to recognise that we are where we are though, without defending our hopeless manager.

I'd like us to try and bring about some transformation in January, but financial reality maybe dictates that we won't.  I don't know enough about our finances to say whether such an acceptance of relegation would be cowardly or sensible.

27 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Championship budget he could have resigned players he had last season that are far better than we have now.... 

Well, aye, that's my point. If he had a championship budget and this is what he brought in, then it's all on him. But if the budget was reduced and that's why we've got this gang, then it would explain the board now giving him a transfer window and some money to put it right.

Personally, I think he has shown himself to be incapable at this level, and would prefer a new manager whether or not the budget has now increased. But, equally, football fans are a fickle, emotional lot, and sat around the boardroom table things might look different.

Poor budget/players is a cop out, and exactly the sort of crap he comes out with.

Managing Queens and complaining about a poor budget is like going swimming and complaining about getting wet.

Writing the season off because with have poor players is a pathetic loser mentality. If everyone shared it we might as well scrap football and hand out the trophies based on what team has the most money in the bank.

A competent manager will at the very least have his players organised, working hard both individually and as a team, and following clear instructions. If we at least looked like we had a game plan I don’t think we’d be half as annoyed by the current predicament.

It’s not the players’ fault. It’s all on Johnston for being hopeless at his job and the board for allowing him to remain being hopeless.

As far as I'm concerned AJ has to go what make managers so special only football managers and MP's get rewarded for being crap any of the rest of us would be sacked end off.
So yes it will cost the club to pay them off maybe money they don't want to spend however how much would relegation cost us.
The last time we went down it was party party and ram away with it things are different now look at Falkirk Partick and raith struggled down there so if we go down it might be for a while.
Which is exactly the reason we need to make the move and get AJ and Clark out now and at least give the new guy Jan to try and save this season I certainly don't trust those pair to do it if we had crowds at Palmerston he'd prob be away by now.

7 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Poor budget/players is a cop out, and exactly the sort of crap he comes out with.

Managing Queens and complaining about a poor budget is like going swimming and complaining about getting wet.

Writing the season off because with have poor players is a pathetic loser mentality. If everyone shared it we might as well scrap football and hand out the trophies based on what team has the most money in the bank.

A competent manager will at the very least have his players organised, working hard both individually and as a team, and following clear instructions. If we at least looked like we had a game plan I don’t think we’d be half as annoyed by the current predicament.

It’s not the players’ fault. It’s all on Johnston for being hopeless at his job and the board for allowing him to remain being hopeless.

I pretty much agree, but in itself the above doesn't necessarily scream that as a club right now, a change must definitely be made.

Saying that AJ might have to remain in post, is not the same as saying he's not been awful.  He has been and there's no evidence whatever to suggest he's equipped to fix things.

11 minutes ago, gogs said:

only football managers and MP's get rewarded for being crap any of the rest of us would be sacked end off.

I know this isn't the main point, but it's not really true either.

Loads of folk are crap at their jobs in all manner of spheres and face no realistic chance of being sacked, ever. 

Football managers get short contracts that are very readily terminated early.  MPs can face deselection from their parties, as well as the threat every few years of being turfed out by the electorate.

This. Although i cant even see 700 appearing. We will be slumming it in league 1 for years. Can the club really afford not to pull the trigger here. Listening to fans rather cleaning the oven and playing with toys with the kids than watching us says it all. Bunch of pea hearts on the pitch. Clubs rotten just now unfortunately. So sad to see the apathy.

Which is why the old business adage "speculate to accumulate" must surely come in to the equation.
Alloa and Arbroath are still within touching distance, and with someone else at the helm who could at least organise the team and have more than one idea of a gameplan/formation in their repertoire we could maybe, just maybe, scramble into 8th place.  
Under AJ relegation looks a nailed on certainty, and should we go down I would expect home gates (assuming fans are allowed back in July) to drop to around the 700 mark, not to mention the drop in positional prize money.  If taking a short term financial hit means staying in this division, it's worth the risk imo.

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I pretty much agree, but in itself the above doesn't necessarily scream that as a club right now, a change must definitely be made.

Saying that AJ might have to remain in post, is not the same as saying he's not been awful.  He has been and there's no evidence whatever to suggest he's equipped to fix things.

Out of interest would need to happen in your eyes before a change definitely needed to be made? 1 win in 2 calendar years?