The Queen of the South thread

Don't get me wrong its a great signing. The prospect of Dobbie and Lyle in the same team is mouthwatering and the reaction on social media tonight has been immense. I never thought I'd see the day a signing of ours would generate such hype.

He hasn't had a lot of football in recent times though, and although great for us, the fact he is back with us perhaps tells a lot about where his stock is just now. He likely won't be as good as before, nor will he have a supporting cast of Tosh, O'Connor et all.

Hopefully he's been drinking from the same fountain of youth as the Tanman.

Its an opportunity we obviously couldn't let pass, but I'm genuinely scared it could be damaging to the legacy of a man I couldn't hold in higher esteem. I want to be as excited as the rest of you, but I'm not, and I'm very annoyed by this!

Shame that they'd have a combined age of 70 by the time the season is out. 

Maybe but they'll probably score 70 goals between them this season.
Actually can't wait for them to stick double figures past your lot.....be worth the £20 admission fee alone [emoji108]

8 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Don't get me wrong its a great signing. The prospect of Dobbie and Lyle in the same team is mouthwatering and the reaction on social media tonight has been immense. I never thought I'd see the day a signing of ours would generate such hype.

He hasn't had a lot of football in recent times though, and although great for us, the fact he is back with us perhaps tells a lot about where his stock is just now. He likely won't be as good as before, nor will he have a supporting cast of Tosh, O'Connor et all.

Hopefully he's been drinking from the same fountain of youth as the Tanman.

Its an opportunity we obviously couldn't let pass, but I'm genuinely scared it could be damaging to the legacy of a man I couldn't hold in higher esteem. I want to be as excited as the rest of you, but I'm not, and I'm very annoyed by this!

If that turns out to be the case, it'll be a shame and a disappointment, but I don't think it'll damage the legacy.  

As mentioned, Andy Thomson was at best ok on his return, but we all still recall him very fondly.  The same can be said of O'Connor despite a hugely diminished ending to his spells at Queens.

Cheer up man and join in with the unbridled optimism and joy.  The Rev I M Monkey Tennis implores you.

Haha touché Your Reverence.

I am excited, just a touch nervous as well.

I can see where you're coming from but at 33 I have no concerns. This league is far from excellent and I genuinely believe he'll rip the pish out of a lot of defences this year. He'll have learned a lot from his time at a much higher level and I'm quietly confident Mk II may well be better than his first time around. Dobbs was never one to rely on pace and it was his touch and reading of the game that made him so good (his finishing played a part as well I suppose...). Lyle has shown that this only improves with age which makes the idea of an improved Dobbie even more mouthwatering. Time will tell of course.

I only have one genuine concern (though I'm probably overthinking things) and that is that he'll be played in midfield. The lack of LM and his number are the main reasons for my concern. But that's probably because I've not quite got used to us using squad numbers!

And part of me wishes I had avoided this news until tomorrow. I'm up at 6 and can't get to sleep because I'm still buzzing about this news :lol:

Who's better, out of interest? I've not really had a proper look at all the other teams in detail yet.

Holts still good but Dobbie doesn't seem to have really let his age affect him, every time I've seen Dobbie over the last few years (in fairness only a few games a season and in FL highlights) he's just looked the same as he always has.

The Holt I've saw play for Hibs was good but not near what he was like back in the day. In fairness Dobbie has a few years on Holt.

If Dobbie was at Hibs he'd be without question their number 1 striker IMO.

Cummings has potential, Van Der Velden seems to have an impressive CV, nobody really sticks out at Raith/Morton/Falkirk/Dumbarton/Ayr/St Mirren. Reilly at Dunfermline is good but not up there with the very best.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I only have one genuine concern (though I'm probably overthinking things) and that is that he'll be played in midfield. The lack of LM and his number are the main reasons for my concern. But that's probably because I've not quite got used to us using squad numbers!

You know we had already allocated every number below 23 except for 11 and 15 right?  He chose his number.

Unbelievable signing. It is difficult to let it sink in. Stephen Dobbie is a Queen of the South player again. My word...

Robinson in goal, Dowie and Higgins at the back, Dobbie and Lyle up front. Skelton is building almost the perfect blend of experienced club men and our own youth prospects.

Looking forward to the league opener with much increased optimism!

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

And part of me wishes I had avoided this news until tomorrow. I'm up at 6 and can't get to sleep because I'm still buzzing about this news :lol:

For a split second after we all wake up tomorrow we'll think we've just dreamt this. Then we'll remember...