The Queen of the South thread

Really like the look of dykes, big strong and willing to make runs. Hamill is the standout so far. Agree with comments on millar should of been strolling through yesterday but just kept giving the ball away. Needs to step up.

I wanted us to retain Mark Millar because players of his ability are rare at this level but I sincerely hope that his performance yesterday was "one of those days". There is no disputing the fact that he should have been more than capable of running the show yesterday but at no time did he impose himself on the game.When your key playmaker doesn't turn up it puts pressure on the rest and nobody stepped up to the plate other than Hamill who was our most dangerous attacker. I must admit that I was bitterly disappointed with the lack of creativity and composure shown by all of our forward players.2/3 decent signings would make a big difference to the squad but I am not sure what element of the Player Budget remains at the Manager's disposal?

I can only assume that Rigg's absence was due to injury because it is inconceivable that he would make not merit a place on our bench yesterday.

On paper we should have a big aerial threat - up front Lyle, Rigg, Dykes and Anderson are all really strong in the air. When you add in Pickard, Higgy and Dowie at set pieces this is arguably our key strength. Yesterday though most of Hamill's corners were hit in weakly to the near post which didnt really play to our strengths. Mark Millar does hit a decent dead ball and I would hope to see much better delivery in the weeks ahead if we are to maximise our potential at set plays.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I wanted us to retain Mark Millar because players of his ability are rare at this level but I sincerely hope that his performance yesterday was "one of those days". There is no disputing the fact that he should have been more than capable of running the show yesterday but at no time did he impose himself on the game.When your key playmaker doesn't turn up it puts pressure on the rest and nobody stepped up to the plate other than Hamill who was our most dangerous attacker. I must admit that I was bitterly disappointed with the lack of creativity and composure shown by all of our forward players.2/3 decent signings would make a big difference to the squad but I am not sure what element of the Player Budget remains at the Manager's disposal?

I can only assume that Rigg's absence was due to injury because it is inconceivable that he would make not merit a place on our bench yesterday.

On paper we should have a big aerial threat - up front Lyle, Rigg, Dykes and Anderson are all really strong in the air. When you add in Pickard, Higgy and Dowie at set pieces this is arguably our key strength. Yesterday though most of Hamill's corners were hit in weakly to the near post which didnt really play to our strengths. Mark Millar does hit a decent dead ball and I would hope to see much better delivery in the weeks ahead if we are to maximise our potential at set plays.

I'd love it to be "one of those days" for Millar too. Unfortunately, as has been said on here many times, he's had "one of those days" for most of his time at the club. 

10 hours ago, Mr X said:

I said exactly the same thing, almost word for word, on the way out yesterday. Millar and  Tapping has the potential to be a decent partnership but on yesterdays showing Millar would be nowhere near the team. Its incredibly frustrating and disappointing as the talent is clearly there.

I think I would start Tapping and Jacobs in the centre of midfield. Have Jacobs sit in front of the back four and let Tapping get on the ball a bit further forward.

Tapping I think is going to be the biggest determinant in how this season goes, he looks a great player and hopefully the worst of the injuries is behind him now.

Millar has been on last chance saloon for about 18 months now and if anything he  has only gotten worse especially considering that he's been given enough opportunity to become the main man rather than just pass sideways, look bored out of his mind and maintain the shooting accuracy of a small child with a rocket launcher. He's managed to live off a reputation of a player that hasn't been seen for a long time now. 

Jacobs is similar in the respects that he isn't going to break any teams down with slick passing and play the safe sideways or backwards pass whilst not being particularly quick or strong to bring something defensively. A prolonged period of Tapping out injured could be very detrimental as we'll struggle with an very immobile centre mid. Hamill's played in midfield before so there could be the possibility of getting him involved in there as he would offer a lot more than either of those two can at this stage despite the fact watching him at right back is a joy to watch after witnessing Lewis Kidd's attempts at the art of defending last year.

Interested to see whether lean  mean Pickard's 'play like there's a swarm of bees chasing you' approach to centre mid can sustain itself over a season or whether he learns to be  more controlled in how he plays.

Tapping I think is going to be the biggest determinant in how this season goes, he looks a great player and hopefully the worst of the injuries is behind him now.

Millar has been on last chance saloon for about 18 months now and if anything he  has only gotten worse especially considering that he's been given enough opportunity to become the main man rather than just pass sideways, look bored out of his mind and maintain the shooting accuracy of a small child with a rocket launcher. He's managed to live off a reputation of a player that hasn't been seen for a long time now. 

Jacobs is similar in the respects that he isn't going to break any teams down with slick passing and play the safe sideways or backwards pass whilst not being particularly quick or strong to bring something defensively. A prolonged period of Tapping out injured could be very detrimental as we'll struggle with an very immobile centre mid. Hamill's played in midfield before so there could be the possibility of getting him involved in there as he would offer a lot more than either of those two can at this stage despite the fact watching him at right back is a joy to watch after witnessing Lewis Kidd's attempts at the art of defending last year.

Interested to see whether lean  mean Pickard's 'play like there's a swarm of bees chasing you' approach to centre mid can sustain itself over a season or whether he learns to be  more controlled in how he plays.

If pickard doesn't change the way he plays then he'll spend as much time suspended as he does playing. He's a stick on to be one of the substituted players every time he starts, because otherwise he'd be sent off.