The Queen of the South thread

Does the Chairman count as a fan?

He's talking about a possible money spinner.

How much money did we make getting knocked out by Livi and Morton?

The Chairman comment is irrelevant. A chairman will always look for a payday. As a fan, I'd rather progress than make a quick buck.

The club is being run in the correct manner and our wage budget and off the field activities will have been budgeted for long before a ball was kicked in pre-season. That is to say a cup game against a big team is not a financial necessity, it's a bonus. Therefore I would rather we progressed through a cup competition. If we were still in both cups I'd have been hoping for the easiest possible tie. Not a game we'd likely lose, in a horrible environment against a team we'll face 4 times throughout the season anyway ;)

Lets be honest - drawing teams like Morton and Livvy in Cup competitions is tedious, crowd interest is minmal and there is still a good chance of going out ........in our case a very good chance of going out. So what have we gained from these competitions ...................next to nothing. They have had a negatiive impact because those local fans who go to selected games have now formed a negative view of the team ( comments I heard on leaving the ground were unprintable.

I dont understand why you wouldnt want to draw Rangers in any cup? Economics at top of list closely followed by a decent atmosphere, a chance of a decent scalp - contrastthat with yet anoher drab cup tie in front of barely 1000 fans - players struggling to motivate themselves.

Do clubs like QOS run on thin air???

I dont understand why you wouldnt want to draw Rangers in any cup? Economics at top of list closely followed by a decent atmosphere, a chance of a decent scalp - contrastthat with yet anoher drab cup tie in front of barely 1000 fans - players struggling to motivate themselves.

Yip, our run to the Scottish Cup final was right miserable it has to be said - until Rangers came on the scene!

The Chairman comment is irrelevant. A chairman will always look for a payday. As a fan, I'd rather progress than make a quick buck.

The club is being run in the correct manner and our wage budget and off the field activities will have been budgeted for long before a ball was kicked in pre-season. That is to say a cup game against a big team is not a financial necessity, it's a bonus. Therefore I would rather we progressed through a cup competition. If we were still in both cups I'd have been hoping for the easiest possible tie. Not a game we'd likely lose, in a horrible environment against a team we'll face 4 times throughout the season anyway ;)

Agree to an extent, it's always been a winnable home tie, glamour tie or one of the Old Firm away.

What was said was that we would likely meet them at some stage in the diddy cup.

Also listened to Fowler and he's hoping to bring an extra forward in so any extra cash would be handy.

Petrofac is a better option for one reason - Rangers. If you keep winning you will eventually meet Rangers and enjoy a big pay day - if you get to final against them it is as good as a Scottish Cup Final. League cup is seeded and it is tough to progress - and crowds tend to be pitiful.

Once Rangers depart then that is a different story and League Cup takes precedence

U draw them at home....= pennies ok maybe pounds....

Petrofac is a diddy cup till the semis, one good thing I will say about it pre the semis, is it helped our younger players the season we went with mainly development players, winning against lower league teams increased their confidence and helped them take it into the league...

Still a diddy cup

Disagree with this viewpoint - while we are able to run a full time operation it is down to great management by the Board and being fortunate that we have a number of young players "who are living the dream" and are prepared to play for next to nothing in the hope that they may make it on a bigger stage. We have just seen two excellent professionals in Burns and McKenna leaving the club because they could not continue to justify the modest earnings that football at this level rewards them. That was a very telling development.

You bet we need big paydays at Ibrox and anywhere else for that matter. Our crowds are poor as are many other teams at his level and someone else said that Livvy would trade Tuesdays win for 3 points in the League - dont believe for a minute that they would do that. They have their reward for staying in this competition whereas they can always try and get the points back at a later point.

Petrofac is a better option for one reason - Rangers. If you keep winning you will eventually meet Rangers and enjoy a big pay day - if you get to final against them it is as good as a Scottish Cup Final. League cup is seeded and it is tough to progress - and crowds tend to be pitiful.

Once Rangers depart then that is a different story and League Cup takes precedence

Lets be honest - drawing teams like Morton and Livvy in Cup competitions is tedious, crowd interest is minmal and there is still a good chance of going out ........in our case a very good chance of going out. So what have we gained from these competitions ...................next to nothing. They have had a negatiive impact because those local fans who go to selected games have now formed a negative view of the team ( comments I heard on leaving the ground were unprintable.

^^^ Can't wait to watch his big team on 30th August.

And playing The Rangers 5 times in the same season isn't? :huh: As I've said elsewhere, I don't want to have to play any team 5 times in the same season. The financial incentive isn't enough to change my view even if it's The Rangers. As a supporter, playing them 5 times in a season is no different to playing Morton, Livi or Alloa that amount of times. It's still absolutely boring.

If players can only motivate themselves for a game against The Rangers then I'd be hoping our manager gets shot of them pronto.

QoS don't run on thin air, but if you'd read my previous post I already said that the wage budget will have been decided before any cup draws. We're a club that lives within it's means (long may that continue) and any big gate income from cups is bonus money, not expected income.

I remember Millar scoring a pen against us the tail of the season before last for Falkirk. Last minute effort and big Zander Clark tried hard to put him off .

Although his penalty record will show scored I think around 5 or 6 for us, I'm sure he missed 3 using the hit down the middle approach every time...

Loy was also guilty of that, tho sure the one he missed against you he varied

Much prefer a pen kick to pick a side

Edited by MrDust

And playing The Rangers 5 times in the same season isn't? :huh: As I've said elsewhere, I don't want to have to play any team 5 times in the same season. The financial incentive isn't enough to change my view even if it's The Rangers. As a supporter, playing them 5 times in a season is no different to playing Morton, Livi or Alloa that amount of times. It's still absolutely boring.

If players can only motivate themselves for a game against The Rangers then I'd be hoping our manager gets shot of them pronto.

QoS don't run on thin air, but if you'd read my previous post I already said that the wage budget will have been decided before any cup draws. We're a club that lives within it's means (long may that continue) and any big gate income from cups is bonus money, not expected income.

Agree to disagree - for me if playing the likes of Rangers and Hibs 5 times a season is boring then it pales into insignificance with some of the turgid repetition that I have witnessed over the years.

I fail to see how wanting to go to games that generate atmosphere, revenue and a tv presence is somehow boring but no doubt when Rangers and ultimately Hibs leave us we can all get back to a more comfortable scenario where buying tickets and seeing queues forming are a thing of the past.

Hilson injury is he out long term ?

Somehow we need to get a big striker signed even on loan to replace Hilson

Need someone to hold the ball up.

Tapping take it he is weeks away has he ever been fit

Last night our subs we put Moxen and Smith on really boys to do a mans job.

Moxen never heard of him Smith is to easy to knock off the ball both players and Pickard really need more game time in the under 20s

Funnily enough Rovers did that in the Petrofac (Ramsdens), it's no where near as good as a Scottish cup final in terms of a payday, in fact it's not even as good as a Sky televised Scottish cup QF, which we had against St Johnstone the same year.

Edited by renton

Hilson injury is he out long term ?Somehow we need to get a big striker signed even on loan to replace HilsonNeed someone to hold the ball up.Tapping take it he is weeks away has he ever been fit Last night our subs we put Moxen and Smith on really boys to do a mans job.Moxen never heard of him Smith is to easy to knock off the ball both players and Pickard really need more game time in the under 20s

Not heard anything about hilson but would be shit if he was out long term.Relying on the heff would be kind of shit.

Hilson injury is he out long term ?

Somehow we need to get a big striker signed even on loan to replace Hilson

Need someone to hold the ball up.

Tapping take it he is weeks away has he ever been fit

Last night our subs we put Moxen and Smith on really boys to do a mans job.

Moxen never heard of him Smith is to easy to knock off the ball both players and Pickard really need more game time in the under 20s

Don't you listen to the managers podcasts or read the OS ? All the answers are there ;)

Edited by the_vortex

'Decent atmosphere' vs Rangers? Yeah, there's no atmosphere like sitting in the away end at Ibrox being subjected to a stream of invective from the baying, bigoted Neanderthals. But, for a 'decent atmosphere', look no further than the Scottish Cup semi against Aberdeen at Hampden. Even on the train home the disappointed Dons were congratulating everyone wearing a blue and white scarf. That's a decent atmosphere. Getting to a Scottish Cup Final was a once in a lifetime experience, but I'd rather we'd shared that experience with a group of proper football fans, not the motley crew of glory hunters and dyed in the wool bigots that make up the Rangers support. If the Dons fans were good losers, their Rangers equivalents were bad winners. A sense of entitlement so deeply ingrained that a Scottish Cup Final win over Queens was the bare minimum to be expected, barely worthy of celebrating let alone commending the valiant losers.

You sound like a Rangers fanboy, like you can't wait to suckle from that Ibrox teat again, even if it is only the tribute act. Bemoaning a lost opportunity to sit in the midst of the Bjorn Again brigade at Ibrox in the Q-F of the Petrofac Cup, when we're already subjected to them four times a season, is frankly perverse.

This is where I support league reconstruction to any format really that drops it from 4 times a season to 2 but keeping same number of fixtures. Fixtures will have more meaning and may possibly see a swell in crowd numbers as teams see each other less. I thought having rangers hearts hibs last year was great for exposure of Queens and again this year sub hearts for mirren. I hope we got rangers next season I love to laugh at bigger clubs misfortunes