The Queen of the South thread

Guest TOPFITTER

Morton deserved to win and won't grudge them that.

JRS, I actually thought the scoreline flattered Queens. We were outfought, out-thought and outperformed. Having seen Morton a few times last season and Declan McManus away thought they would be our whipping boys this season and a certainty for relegation. What do I know or VT know, obviously little as we both were of the impression Jim Duffy would take them to ignominious failure?

JRS, I actually thought the scoreline flattered Queens. We were outfought, out-thought and outperformed. Having seen Morton a few times last season and Declan McManus away thought they would be our whipping boys this season and a certainty for relegation. What do I know or VT know, obviously little as we both were of the impression Jim Duffy would take them to ignominious failure?

I was surprised that the BBC data had us on 52% possession and Morton 48% but anyway they looked the more hungrier team and also our keeper was very good. You could see it wasn't going to be our night and no surprise the ball somehow stayed out at the end . We will have better days and plenty chances to redeem ourselves.

Mark Millar also looks the part but he could do with a goal or two - not short of power in his shooting but he seldom hits the target.

Not too bothered about exiting the League Cup - better to have gone through in Petrofac but dont think our squad would have coped with too many more midweek excursions.

Dont go expecting goals from Millar shots and keep him off penalties

Struggling to understand the Id rather be in the Petrofac cup than the league cup, the petrofac cup may offer winnable games but each tie will run at a loss till the final. I think thats the first time Ive read someone saying they'd rather be in the petrofac cup to the league cup

Whilst we were very poor, Morton didn't look like scoring until the goal. Barr put dangerous balls in that were fluffed or had an airshot. From the games they've played their lack of cutting edge is their weakness.

Whilst we were very poor, Morton didn't look like scoring until the goal. Barr put dangerous balls in that were fluffed or had an airshot. From the games they've played their lack of cutting edge is their weakness.

This. I don't grudge Morton the win as they did enough to win it. I wouldn't say 1-0 flattered QoS though as I can't recall Thomson having many saves to make.

This. I don't grudge Morton the win as they did enough to win it. I wouldn't say 1-0 flattered QoS though as I can't recall Thomson having many saves to make.

This also. I'm a wee bit mystified with all the "Morton were much better than expected" chat that's appeared today and last night. Morton shaded the game and just about deserved to win. They didn't look particularly great though and for me Alloa threatened our goal in our 3-1 win a lot more than Morton did last night. They scored a cracking goal and hit the post from a free kick. Otherwise had little to show for their 90 minutes. We were worse but Conroy narrowly missed a free kick first half and we had one at least 90% over the line in injury time. There wasn't much between the two sides for me. First half was dreadful all round. Morton upped their game a bit until they scored.

No complaints about the result but equally no particular worries about facing Morton again.

Dont go expecting goals from Millar shots and keep him off penalties

Struggling to understand the Id rather be in the Petrofac cup than the league cup, the petrofac cup may offer winnable games but each tie will run at a loss till the final. I think thats the first time Ive read someone saying they'd rather be in the petrofac cup to the league cup

I remember Millar scoring a pen against us the tail of the season before last for Falkirk. Last minute effort and big Zander Clark tried hard to put him off . Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Petrofac is a better option for one reason - Rangers. If you keep winning you will eventually meet Rangers and enjoy a big pay day - if you get to final against them it is as good as a Scottish Cup Final. League cup is seeded and it is tough to progress - and crowds tend to be pitiful.

Once Rangers depart then that is a different story and League Cup takes precedence

This also. I'm a wee bit mystified with all the "Morton were much better than expected" chat that's appeared today and last night. Morton shaded the game and just about deserved to win. They didn't look particularly great though and for me Alloa threatened our goal in our 3-1 win a lot more than Morton did last night. They scored a cracking goal and hit the post from a free kick. Otherwise had little to show for their 90 minutes. We were worse but Conroy narrowly missed a free kick first half and we had one at least 90% over the line in injury time. There wasn't much between the two sides for me. First half was dreadful all round. Morton upped their game a bit until they scored.

No complaints about the result but equally no particular worries about facing Morton again.

Sort of.

Morton were the better side and deserved the win, but it wasn't a masterclass.

To the goal and free-kick off the post though, I'd also add the disallowed goal in the first half. I know the whistle went early and everything, but it was a lovely bit of play and it looked very close to me. I'd like to see it again.