The Queen of the South thread

What a difference there is in the respective eras of the 70/80s and today . A visit back then by Hearts would be seen with dread by police and shop owners alike. Now these fixtures go on without major incident and that's by far the better option of the two. I remember the strict segregation of fans when arriving over Buccleugh Street Bridge in early 83 and the massive scrap between Hearts fans themselves during the game .

I can't comment on that era personally of course, but have to say the Hearts fans have been a pleasure in the few instances I've had with them. Even when we were up at Tynecastle for the cup game we walked past them on the way out and there wasn't any bother whatsoever. Excluding one group of 11 year olds singing you should have stayed at home, that's to be expected though sadly.

Of course, Hearts won both the games we've played against them recently but I'd be shocked and disappointed if they turned into violent thugs after a defeat.

I never had any meetings with any Hearts fans the year they came down midweek and beat us 3-1 a few years back. Can't mind what season but can mind we took the lead through Steven Leslie and Darren Jackson scoring a brace I'm sure or was it a hat-trick? Anyway, I can't recall any bother from the Jambo's that year either.

Looking forward to our two trips to Tynecastle. Easily the best stadium in this league for atmosphere. Hopefully we have a full squad by that time but I won't hold my breath!!

What a difference there is in the respective eras of the 70/80s and today . A visit back then by Hearts would be seen with dread by police and shop owners alike. Now these fixtures go on without major incident and that's by far the better option of the two. I remember the strict segregation of fans when arriving over Buccleugh Street Bridge in early 83 and the massive scrap between Hearts fans themselves during the game .

I made exactly this point to my old dad as we were leaving yesterday, walking towards the Hearts fans in the ice bowl area.

There wasn't the slightest bit of aggression or trouble at all.

As you say, changed days from the famous '83 Cup game.

Whats going on with John Baird. Quality striker and would guess one of the highest earners in the squad. And he is sitting on the bench

???

Up until now I think it's been a case of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". But funny you should mention it, I said after Saturday's game that I think it's about time Baird gets a shot with Gav. The last two games I've watched, Lyle has been a waste of a jersey. He's disappeared for long spells and only Saturday there were too many of those wasteful flicks for my liking. Maybe time for a rest.

Up until now I think it's been a case of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". But funny you should mention it, I said after Saturday's game that I think it's about time Baird gets a shot with Gav. The last two games I've watched, Lyle has been a waste of a jersey. He's disappeared for long spells and only Saturday there were too many of those wasteful flicks for my liking. Maybe time for a rest.

Those were also my thoughts on leaving Palmerston on Saturday.

I'd go 4-4-2 for the Raith game with Reilly and Baird up top - the rest is just a case of who's available and fit.

You'd drop Reilly? I hope you're not in for the assistants job.

Baird has done absolutely nothing to deserve a start. Nothing.

He's hardly been given a chance to show his worth though. Expecting a player to prove his worth entirely through sub appearances is harsh.

I don't think Baird would be a revelation, but I from what I've seen in his entire hour or so game time for us I can see he has potential. Lyle in the last couple of matches hasn't looked interested nor contributed massively so for me I can't see why Baird shouldn't be given a chance from kick-off.

I feel sorry for Baird but I wouldn't advocate playing him based on sympathy. I only have his brief substitute appearances to judge him on, and based on those he doesn't deserve to play. When you consider that his main rival for the position is having his best season for us it just confirms what a bonkers idea it is.

I think Lyle is doing a good job, in an unfamiliar role. With our central midfield options limited to more defensive minded players I think we need that link between midfield and attack. If Carmichael is available for Friday I'd be tempted to swap him for Lyle. Or play Kiltie in there. I'm equally as happy with Lyle though. He gets a lot of flak and I don't really know why.

Those were also my thoughts on leaving Palmerston on Saturday.

I'd go 4-4-2 for the Raith game with Reilly and Baird up top - the rest is just a case of who's available and fit.

Interesting.....might be worth a shot. Former players have a habit of scoring against their old employers and all the Raith fans rate Baird very highly. Lyle might also benefit from a rest on the bench where he could have more success coming on as an impact sub.

Lyle's been alright overall, but he was certainly poor on Saturday.

He seemed off the pace, his touch was heavy and he appeared to be reading the game less well than usual.

I don't think Baird has really done much that justifies a start either, but think how Carmichael struggled when only allowed brief cameos. Moreover, think how McShane eventually flourished when afforded an extended run that looked hard to explain.

I'd be tempted to give Baird a start against his old club on Friday, in the hope that it provides a start to his season.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Yes pal, sure is . Will you be able to watch it ?

I err have err a pal err who has one of those err VPN things that err circumvent geographical restrictions and would indeed allow him to watch the game err live on BBC iPlayer. Only problem is that he'll have to get up at 5:45am on Saturday morning and he's not very keen on that. But it's the South and they aren't on the tv very often so I'll he'll be making the effort!

I err have err a pal err who has one of those err VPN things that err circumvent geographical restrictions and would indeed allow him to watch the game err live on BBC iPlayer. Only problem is that he'll have to get up at 5:45am on Saturday morning and he's not very keen on that. But it's the South and they aren't on the tv very often so I'll he'll be making the effort!

Hope your err pal enjoys watching the game and we get the result we're hoping for. ;)