The Queen of the South thread

No that isnt a matter of fact. We probably underperformed but attributing it all directly to the manager is conjecture and far too simplistic. I wouldnt necessarily agree with every decision he made but some of the early criticism was way over the top anyway. Some players certainly didnt start the season as well as they are playing now. In padticular there was lots of criticism of leaving Mitchell out for about a month but he certainly started the season poorly, possibly a hangover from his groin surgery. He is like a different player now. Bringing in Dowie was roundly criticised too but he has been outstanding in the last 2 or 3 months and a big part of our good form.

We had a run of three disappointing early season home games (losses to Raith and Dumbarton and the draw with Cowdenbeath we should have lost. If we had won a couple of those we would pretty much be in the playoffs already but the reality is we would still likely be third at best. Hamilton and Dundee have consistently found ways to best us head to head.

We are likely going to finish up roughly where we should have regardless of how we got there. Its now about whether we can do anything to raise our game and take good form into the playoffs.

Totally agree. We had a very slow start after the Dundee game, the three games picked out being the main ones, games i doubt we'd lose now. Mitchell deserved his criticism, he was poor and looked heavy, being honest i only think he's returning to form in recent 5 or 6 games. Problem with Queens fans in Dowie is something i never understood, think a lot just didn't want the partnership of last season broken up but even when they were paired together at the start, it wasn't pleasant viewing. Our best partnership, as much as i like higgins, is Dowie and Durnan. Dowie is just class for me, good on the ball and just does what he needs to do. Dundee the other week was his best performance where i thought he was brilliant.

Major problem at the start of the season, was the keeper. Defence weren't comfortable and a went through the team. Lost silly goals, that since Zander has came in have stopped. Its all ifs and buts, it would be interesting to see how we would have faired with him in sticks from the start of the campaign.

Tart it up whatever way you want. It took McIntyre three months of chopping and changing players and formation before he realised that 4-4-2 was our strongest setup. By then we were well adrift of the front three. He deserved to be criticised and ultimately has cost the club thousands of pounds because we should have finished higher up the table than what we will.

Palmy Calmmy and others were right to criticise.

Major problem at the start of the season, was the keeper. Defence weren't comfortable and a went through the team. Lost silly goals, that since Zander has came in have stopped. Its all ifs and buts, it would be interesting to see how we would have faired with him in sticks from the start of the campaign.

I expect we'd be better off, there's no doubt the signing of Antell didn't work out. But it's a moot point since Clark wasn't available at the start of the season. I have some sympathy on the keeper issue. Antell had done well enough the season before (and Billy Dodds worked with him, it's not like they didn't know him) and there wasn't exactly a proliferation of obvious goalkeeping candidates available. Unfortunately the better free agents had already gotten themselves sorted whilst Allan Johnston was still trying to persuade Lee Robinson to re-sign. There's pretty much no evidence that Grant Adam, who was the other option on the table, would have done any better.

Tart it up whatever way you want. It took McIntyre three months of chopping and changing players and formation before he realised that 4-4-2 was our strongest setup. By then we were well adrift of the front three. He deserved to be criticised and ultimately has cost the club thousands of pounds because we should have finished higher up the table than what we will.

Palmy Calmmy and others were right to criticise.

Even leaving aside the arguments of what was an wasn't changed, as I've already pointed out it's pretty unlikely we'd have been top two anyway as Hamilton and Dundee have consistently got the better of us when they've needed to even when we were in good form. I think they've been a little fortunate at times but they've still done it. Throw Falkirk in the mix and the facts are we have six away defeats to the three sides above us and a couple of home wins and one draw with another game against Falkirk still to come.

We are probably going to finish exactly where we should do. There's an argument that a better start would have meant we got 3rd. We may even still do so if we can beat Falkirk next week, though it would probably require us to win all our remaining games. It's certainly not a massive underperformance. On the contrary, the fact we have lost only one game to a team currently below us since September and that was to Raith back in November is to the great credit of the squad and management. In the same period we've lost 7, drawn one and won one against the 3 teams above us. It's a very strong indication that 4th is exactly where we should be.

And I didn't say there were no grounds for some criticism, I said it was far too simplistic to dismiss it all as being the manager's fault.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

McIntyre should have had the easiest job in football this season. The squad was virtually all in place for him and morale and momentum were all in his favour.

Had we started the season well and faded then the excuses of "higher level" "tougher opponents" etc. may have held some value.

Instead we are finishing the season as many expected us to start it.

McIntyre signed poorly, and inexplicably dicked about with the team. It's pretty conclusive to me that he is wholly responsible.

Entirely this.

We all knew we had a good side for this level at the start of the season. SD' s argument that we've continued to lose out to those above us since finding form carries some weight, but the fact that we surrendered so many points needlessly, stupidly, almost wilfully in the early weeks, remains unaltered.

McIntyre's only real job was to sign a 'keeper and he picked literally the worst one I've ever seen play for us. Dowie is, in fairness, a decent player, but dropping Durnan for him was nuts and damaging.

We should make the play-offs which is acceptable, but this might honestly have been the season in which we made a push for the title. McIntyre did more than most to ensure this didn't happen.

McIntyre's only real job was to sign a 'keeper and he picked literally the worst one I've ever seen play for us. /quote]

Signing a keeper from a team that finished second bottom of a league we romped, was surprising to say the least. Don't get me wrong our other option of Grant Adam didn't fill me with any optimism either.

STOP this talk PLEASE the manager has done REALLY WELL this season, all the talk off why this why that, Johnson would have faired NO better, thid is a BIG step up!

We lost our Keeper & Striker at the end of last season. The Mao. Reason we were promoted! And have been in this league before & performed worse.

Give the MANAGER a break cause he is here for the long haul and the board have faith in him as do I.

Let's get behind the club cause the TOP league is within our grasp.

Up the QUEENS.

STOP this talk PLEASE the manager has done REALLY WELL this season, all the talk off why this why that, Johnson would have faired NO better, thid is a BIG step up!

We lost our Keeper & Striker at the end of last season. The Mao. Reason we were promoted! And have been in this league before & performed worse.

Give the MANAGER a break cause he is here for the long haul and the board have faith in him as do I.

Up the QUEENS.

ap5202210240.jpg

Congratulations qots & Mao tse tung!!wheres kenny brannigan?

Coaching in Canada I think?

Edit to add: that's Kenny Brannigan not Mao!

Edited by Swarley

Up the QUEENS.

I like TO randomly type some words in CAPITAL letters as WELL.

Up the QUEENS.

:lol:

Napoleon remains always, always right.

Delighted to see you're taking the allegory of slavish devotion to a dictator and really running with it by referring to the Chinese cultural revolution.

What with all the Mugabe references, we Queens fans do love our tyrants.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Up the QUEENS.

Well NOW that you put it like THAT I've had a COMPLETE rethink and ACTUALLY...

...nah I'm afraid you're talking SHITE.

Up the QUEENS.

Fat fingers, drink and posting in the early hours aren't a good mix.

Oh and by the way you're talking crap, McIntyre doesn't deserve a break he tinkered with something that didn't need to be touched and it has cost the club tens of thousands of pounds.

Fat fingers, drink and posting in the early hours aren't a good mix.

Oh and by the way you're talking crap, McIntyre doesn't deserve a break he tinkered with something that didn't need to be touched and it has cost the club tens of thousands of pounds.

Tens of thousands of pounds??

I'm in the give McIntyre a break category. Obviously the first quarter was awful and if that form/points return continued for the second quarter he'd have had to be punted. But it didn't!

Johnson might well have had a better first quarter but he could quite easily have had a worse record than McIntyre in the rest if the season!

I'm in the give McIntyre a break category. Obviously the first quarter was awful and if that form/points return continued for the second quarter he'd have had to be punted. But it didn't!

Johnson might well have had a better first quarter but he could quite easily have had a worse record than McIntyre in the rest if the season!

I think thats a very fair point. Johntson would probably have stuck with the same team at the start of the season - although who knows who we would have ended up with in goals - and that might well have meant a better start, but theres no reason to assume he could have continued last seasons form right through this season. Theres also no reason to assume he would have been able to replicate the form McIntyre has achieved over the last few months.

I'm not really trying to compare what McIntyre has done against what Johnston would've because that is impossible.

I'm assessing McIntyre and what he has done, against what he should have.

That is possible, and it's clear he ballsed up at the start of the season and it's cost us.