The Queen of the South thread

Those of us who were at the side could tell straight away that it had the distance but had no idea if it was on line or not.

I only knew it was going to be a goal when the Portland Drive End starting bouncing up and down like Energizer bunnies on heat. The moments between that realisation and the final whistle were just wonderful, wonderful seconds of joy. The realisation that we were going to Hampden for a Cup semi final in that manner after spending 20 odd years trailing around the bottom end of Scotish football was just magical. :)

I was right behind the goal. It was truly incredible. All kind of surreal in fact. I remember wondering afterwards if it had actually happened. Moments before, I was convinced Dundee would score from the free-kick and would have given anything for the full-time whistle.

To have such an important result in such a tense encounter decided in that way was just extraordinary. I'm looking forward to boring people about it when I'm 90.

Yes, terrific and unlikely outcome.

We should now have every chance of sealing fourth by maintaining our form.

Yep. I commented on Saturday that nine points would do us and 7 points would probably be enough especially if we didn't lose the head to head at Dumbarton. I had however expected Dumbarton to win against Morton.

Our goal difference effectively gives us a 7 point advantage over both Livi and Dumbarton with five games to go. It's a matter of fact that 9 points will now do us even if Livi win every game by 3 goals. They are not going to win them all. Realistically 6 more points will do us and if either Dumbarton or Livi want to get 4th they are going to have to win their head to head with us.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Yep. I commented on Saturday that nine points would do us and 7 points would probably be enough especially if we didn't lose the head to head at Dumbarton. I had however expected Dumbarton to win against Morton.

Our goal difference effectively gives us a 7 point advantage over both Livi and Dumbarton with five games to go. It's a matter of fact that 9 points will now do us even if Livi win every game by 3 goals. They are not going to win them all. Realistically 6 more points will do us and if either Dumbarton or Livi want to get 4th they are going to have to win their head to head with us.

Yes, avoiding defeat in the two head-to-heads would mean we wouldn't really need to achieve much more at all.

"challenge". It's a foul and we got away with one there. Burns first reaction was to look round and see if he was getting booked for it which would have meant a red card as he'd just been booked for giving away the free kick in the first place. :lol:

Thanks Mike McCurry, without him missing that a moment that's gone into legend would have been lost. :)

Yes, challenge ;)

I was right behind the goal. It was truly incredible. All kind of surreal in fact. I remember wondering afterwards if it had actually happened. Moments before, I was convinced Dundee would score from the free-kick and would have given anything for the full-time whistle.

To have such an important result in such a tense encounter decided in that way was just extraordinary. I'm looking forward to boring people about it when I'm 90.

Same emotions and location for me as well.

It would require Dumbarton to win their two games by an 11 goal margin in total. It's got about the same chance of happening as me being elected the next Pope!

There's every chance they'll be on the same points though. I'd be delighted if they dropped some points in those two games somewhere.

And there is smoke coming from the Palmerston........it's black, black smoke....

Apologies this is days late, but I've been on holiday :P

Nice article about Paul Burns on the SPFL site ahead of his testimonial on Sunday

clicky

It is a good piece (if slightly plagiarised from the OS piece ;) ). Craig Stewart writes a lot of good features on the SPFL website. It's a good site to be fair to them. Kept very up to date and informative.

I like the line from Doddsy about asking 100 people about Paul Burns. 99 of them would say he was an absolute pleasure to work with and the other one would be wrong! :lol:

Not sure of the legitimacy but the following has been posted on the Unofficial Facebook page and also the Mad site -

"Letter to Burnsey from Saudi.

Burnsey,

Enjoy your day on Sunday as you deserve it. As a former team-mate I knew exactly each week what we would get from you. You were a star down that right side and you thoroughly deserve your minute in the spotlight. Hopefully a decent crowd turns up for you pal but seeing as the star man (me) is not playing no doubt it will just be your family who shows.

Only joking pal. I have played with a lot of fantastic players in my time but I can honestly say none were more committed, determined and honest as yourself.

Hope it goes well.
All the best from SUNNY SAUDI

TOSHER"

I have no reason to doubt it is genuine because Tosher is a class act on and off the pitch.

Not sure of the legitimacy but the following has been posted on the Unofficial Facebook page and also the Mad site -

"Letter to Burnsey from Saudi.

Burnsey,

Enjoy your day on Sunday as you deserve it. As a former team-mate I knew exactly each week what we would get from you. You were a star down that right side and you thoroughly deserve your minute in the spotlight. Hopefully a decent crowd turns up for you pal but seeing as the star man (me) is not playing no doubt it will just be your family who shows.

Only joking pal. I have played with a lot of fantastic players in my time but I can honestly say none were more committed, determined and honest as yourself.

Hope it goes well.

All the best from SUNNY SAUDI

TOSHER"

I have no reason to doubt it is genuine because Tosher is a class act on and off the pitch.

Class act on and off like you say, great player for Queens and like Burnsy always committed to the cause.

12 points from top with a game in hand makes pleasant reading. Where are all the opposition fans with their boring insight about the "step up" the "full-time league", and how we should be happy with mid-table.

It's a matter of fact that McIntyre had us chronically underperformed at the beginning of the season, and he was rightly criticised. It's difficult not to feel this season could be a massive opportunity missed.

Edited by palmy_cammy

12 points from top with a game in hand makes pleasant reading. Where are all the opposition fans with their boring insight about the "step up" the "full-time" league, and how we should be happy with mid-table.

It's a matter of fact that McIntyre had us chronically underperformed at the beginning of the season, and he was rightly criticised. It's difficult not to feel this season could be a massive opportunity missed.

This, just this.

12 points from top with a game in hand makes pleasant reading. Where are all the opposition fans with their boring insight about the "step up" the "full-time league", and how we should be happy with mid-table.

No that isnt a matter of fact. We probably underperformed but attributing it all directly to the manager is conjecture and far too simplistic. I wouldnt necessarily agree with every decision he made but some of the early criticism was way over the top anyway. Some players certainly didnt start the season as well as they are playing now. In padticular there was lots of criticism of leaving Mitchell out for about a month but he certainly started the season poorly, possibly a hangover from his groin surgery. He is like a different player now. Bringing in Dowie was roundly criticised too but he has been outstanding in the last 2 or 3 months and a big part of our good form.

We had a run of three disappointing early season home games (losses to Raith and Dumbarton and the draw with Cowdenbeath we should have lost. If we had won a couple of those we would pretty much be in the playoffs already but the reality is we would still likely be third at best. Hamilton and Dundee have consistently found ways to best us head to head.

We are likely going to finish up roughly where we should have regardless of how we got there. Its now about whether we can do anything to raise our game and take good form into the playoffs.

We are likely going to finish up roughly where we should have regardless of how we got there. Its now about whether we can do anything to raise our game and take good form into the playoffs.

Agree with this sentiment. I know it's a big ask and unlikely this season but I would absolutely love to see Queens back in the top division.

McIntyre should have had the easiest job in football this season. The squad was virtually all in place for him and morale and momentum were all in his favour.

Had we started the season well and faded then the excuses of "higher level" "tougher opponents" etc. may have held some value.

Instead we are finishing the season as many expected us to start it.

McIntyre signed poorly, and inexplicably dicked about with the team. It's pretty conclusive to me that he is wholly responsible.

Edited by palmy_cammy

I agree with you Palmy Cammy and I was very much of the opinion that he should go right up until the start of the year..

That said, he and the team have turned things around so credit where it is due.

Hopefully he can build on this next season.