The Queen of the South thread

Indeed we have. This sort of thing will inevitably depend on age. Anyone who can remember Frank McGarvey's side finishing second bottom of the whole league, or Rowe and Eadie's being marooned at the bottom of the second division before Accies points deduction saved us shouldn't realistically have much need to look at the post-Connolly era, though I'm sure we'll get one or two suggestions from that period.

It's meant from as far as you've wacthed Queens and I vaguely remember the Rowe/Eadie season particularly a 7-0 thrashing by Livingston, but names of players in that team are a problem though, as with the various John Connolly "Let's sign everyone from Newcastle" players. Whilst obviously second division players are inferior players, does the hype and the reputation of some of the pretty poor signings of say a Marvin Andrews/ Barry John Corr make them as bad seeing as they were full time?

I guess the only worse than being awful and being talked about is being awful and forgotten.

Jim Butter, BJC and Calum Antell should have a three-way clusterf**k to determine who's in goals.

Then there's Rikki Ferguson, Willie Cunningham, Derrick Hoy... John Burridge was way past it by the time he landed up at Palmerston too.

Goalies tend to stand out, but overall there aren't many players - at least ones who have played regularly - since Connolly's time who could lace the boots, so to speak, of the worst of the previous 15 years or so.

Watched us win the ramsdens cup again tonight great team performance, watching it reminded me how well wee Dan can play and how much of an influence Del Young is to our team any news of his return to fitness?

Is Holty fit for sat?

An astonishing thought but true nonetheless. Hoy was the worst ever in terms of keepers. Quite an achievement given how bad some of the other "contenders" have been. :lol:

Antell is worse than any of them, imo.

When you consider that the others all played in teams where the overall standard was poor, they had far more to do than Antell ever had. If you think about how many mistakes Antell made relative to how much he had to do, it is astonishing. And I don't just mean the mistakes that ended up as goals.

I've never seen a goalkeeper look more out of place on a football pitch, apart from when an outfield player has gone in. Even then, some of them were better.

My old man has mentioned Hoy but I've never seen him and Antell is a full time professional footballer that has zero redeeming features. Recently it's hard to pick a bad player that has played a lot of games when they don't deserve to (apart from Gus McPherson's team) i'd say the toughest decisions is going to be the forwards a whole range of terrible players that we've had with (Weir, Jaconelli, Mole, Barrowman and Brighton) Being the ones I can think of off the top of my head, the article is due a week on monday so I have plenty of time to bring back some painful memories.

Probably not a contender for the worstin midfield but was Scott Robertson mince or am I being harsh on him?

Edited by Sloop John B

My old man has mentioned Hoy but I've never seen him and Antell is a full time professional footballer that has zero redeeming features. Recently it's hard to pick a bad player that has played a lot of games when they don't deserve to (apart from Gus McPherson's team) i'd say the toughest decisions is going to be the forwards a whole range of terrible players that we've had with (Weir, Jaconelli, Mole, Barrowman and Brighton) Being the ones I can think of off the top of my head, the article is due a week on monday so I have plenty of time to bring back some painful memories.

Probably not a contender for the worstin midfield but was Scott Robertson mince or am I being harsh on him?

I didn't think Barrowman was that bad, tbh. I thought Bingham was worse for us.

I thought Robertson wasn't great, but I think McShane is worse.

Who was the guy who scored the spectacular og v Livi in the cup that time? He was horrific.

I didn't think Barrowman was that bad, tbh. I thought Bingham was worse for us.

I thought Robertson wasn't great, but I think McShane is worse.

Who was the guy who scored the spectacular og v Livi in the cup that time? He was horrific.

Bingham was probably finished by the time he reached us, Barrowman's only scored one goal in 24 games before turning into a goal machine at Ross County and playing in the SPL with Caley Thistle. McShane at least has a chance to turn it around, whereas i'll be shocked if Antell gets another game for Queens.

Exactly far easier task to remember the good.

Kris Robertson was rank in his trial spell, went on to have a decent career in the juniors with Pollok I think though.

same could be said about Jaconelli, who was a bit of young hope from Killie, but he got sent off on his debut and apart from a good run in meaningless games couldn't hit a barn door, he flopped the next season and then again at Raith before becoming a goal machine in the juniors for Irvine Meadow. I only remember him because he had a foreign sounding name despite the fact he was Scottish and that he barely looked like scoring ever.

Edited by Sloop John B

Guest TOPFITTER

Was he injured last week and will it matter anyway?

Who could second guess anything this season ? we might be surprised, play expansive,attacking football and score a few goals whilst entertaining the fans ! Who did I hear claim his team would do that ?

Does anyone else remember Paul Talbot? I remember him being one of Connelly's last Geordie signings and that he was pretty useless, leaving Queens for Spennymoor town, a fullback IIRC and from that season the aforementioned Kris Robertson and John Dodds playing in goals when Colin Scott went down with that bad shoulder injury.

and also while messing around on google I managed to find an archived season review of the original great escape season (2005/2006) written by Skyline Drifter. Was anyone at Dingwall to witness Tope Arojugan who was a trialist and was brought on as a substitute before coming off 5 minutes later with a pulled Hamstring and never seen again?

http://qosarchive.co.uk/05review01.htm

Edited by Sloop John B