The Queen of the South thread

I believe the programme from Saturday was sold out on the day. No idea about training tops. I know there wasn't much left in the shop after the final day half price sale though. There may well be none. I'd suggest an email to John Paterson to check first. I think you already have his email address?

I thought I did but I can't find it, could you please PM me it? Thanks.

Hi gang, here's a cheery wee piece about Queen of the South's sojourn in Division Two - http://tellhimhespele.com/?p=5128 - it also includes a credit for P+B's very own Skyline Drifter for his wonderful stats in this thread.

Please let me know what I've done wrong - it's the only way I'll learn.

It's a nice piece - I like the extended 'Twilight Zone' reference.

However, SD has obviously been too tickled by his name-check, to pull you up for this revisionist line:

"The Doonhamers were always likely to win the division – as the league’s only full-time club, anything else would have been an aberration".

It ignores the fact that neither the bookies nor a majority of SFL2 fans on here, had installed Queens as favourites at the season's outset.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

It ignores the fact that neither the bookies nor a majority of SFL2 fans on here, had installed Queens as favourites at the season's outset.

There were fans of the other second division teams appalled at the suggestion we might beat their team (in the first few weeks) never mind win the league. A select few have held onto that opinion throughout. God knows what they will be like if they ever frequent the 1st Division forum for any length of time or when Sevco fans move in next season.

It's a nice piece - I like the extended 'Twilight Zone' reference.

However, SD has obviously been too tickled by his name-check, to pull you up for this revisionist line:

"The Doonhamers were always likely to win the division – as the league’s only full-time club, anything else would have been an aberration".

Oh, I clocked it, I just couldn't be arsed raking over that issue again.

To be honest I don't think it's a particularly inaccurate statement anyway, given that it's a piece on his own opinion, not a statement about what was obvious to everybody at the time. The suffix about an aberration is needless hyperbole but I agree with the first part. We were always likely to win the division regardless of what the bookies and a pile of Ayr fans voting for their own side in a poll on here thought.

I agree with the first part. We were always likely to win the division regardless of what the bookies and a pile of Ayr fans voting for their own side in a poll on here thought.

I know you always fancied us to win the league, but I honestly didn't.

Our manager had no pedigree and much of the previous season's disastrous squad remained in place. There was nothing about the new arrivals to excite much expectation before we started the season either. Failure to reach the play-offs would have been poor, but I had no expectation of anything better.

In July, I could far more readily foresee an Ayr-type season, than what transpired as a Queens-type one.

Obviously I can't claim to have been right, but I honestly felt no great hope that we'd have even a good season, let alone a sensational one.

hi guys.

don't want to clog up thread so will be brief,

I have Bob Harris 2011-2012 Blackpool shirt signed by Blackpool squad.

funds for charity. bid standing at £80.bidding closes 5th may 10 pm.

CHEERS.

Rod

Edited by portland

Cheers for the comments on the article.

Here's my two cents from a neutral perspective: for me certainly, when Queens were demoted and maintained their full-time status, they were the immediate favourites to win the league, regardless of the other teams, fans or bookmakers suggested. The only real surprises this season have been how brilliant it all actually worked out (and just poor Ayr have been). I don't think it's revisionist to say that. As for the hyperbole around the word "aberration", it would have been a disgrace had Queens failed to secure the title. You're full-time, have more money than anyone else and have more time to work with and organise your players. To finish second or third behind a part-time team would have been a shambles.

But still, best of luck to you all next season. There's not one inch of doubt that it won't be successful year and I can see the team finishing above mid-table.

Here's my two cents from a neutral perspective: for me certainly, when Queens were demoted and maintained their full-time status, they were the immediate favourites to win the league, regardless of the other teams, fans or bookmakers suggested. The only real surprises this season have been how brilliant it all actually worked out (and just poor Ayr have been). I don't think it's revisionist to say that. As for the hyperbole around the word "aberration", it would have been a disgrace had Queens failed to secure the title. You're full-time, have more money than anyone else and have more time to work with and organise your players. To finish second or third behind a part-time team would have been a shambles.

But still, best of luck to you all next season. There's not one inch of doubt that it won't be successful year and I can see the team finishing above mid-table.

I thought it was a very good article FF. Keep up the good work.

Oh well, seasons nearly over. I don't think many of us have fully appreciated just HOW good it was. I know I'm finding it difficult.

Two trophys, records aplenty broken, and some of the football played was an absolute joy to watch.

I would like to think I would witness such a season again but I very much doubt it.

I'm the same chest size. I bought a Large ( L ) it was a bit too tight.

Next time I was down I bought an XL. It was better but still not loose.

Hope this helps.

Thanks WILLIEA, I'm normally a 44/46 so that would be an XL but if they are a tight fit then I'd be up to an XXL. I've never bought any XXL clothing before in my life! :lol:

The average visiting support at Palmerston in 2011-12 was 286 as opposed to 54 last season. This meant that although the home crowd rose by 350 per game , the attendance was only up by about 100 on 2011-12 because of the lower visiting followings. Thats it summed up as best I can.

:unsure: Wow that's pretty shocking. With that rate of decline would that mean that the travelling support in Div3 is in single figures?

Hi gang, here's a cheery wee piece about Queen of the South's sojourn in Division Two - http://tellhimhespele.com/?p=5128 - it also includes a credit for P+B's very own Skyline Drifter for his wonderful stats in this thread.

Please let me know what I've done wrong - it's the only way I'll learn.

:thumsup2 Everyone loves the Queens!

Guest Flash

We finished the previous season below part-time Ayr. I agree that season could be described as a shambles, but there wasn't really anything to suggest that the same thing couldn't happen again. And if Gus had remained in charge, it may well have.

There will be a special DVD produced with highlight from the season

clicky

Excellent, I'll definitely be buying one.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

The Rangers confirm their interest in Clark. http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/3890-mccoist-keen-on-clark

I think this move has been pretty inevitable for a while. It's win/win for Rangers and Clark, but I don't think it's necessarily a lose situation for Queens either. Obviously 40 goals is a hard thing for any team to replace, but then we have scored more goals than a normal season (almost a record breaking amount), so it's not like a normal Queens side having to replace 40 goals. The word replace doesn't really fill me with any great fear anyway since Johnston has been so faultless in the players he has brought in.

As it stands Clark has had one excellent season for us, and one incredibly poor season. There are obviously numerous other factors to be considered about why this is, but another player with a similar record instantly springs to mind - Derek Holmes. Clark will be remembered fondly because his poor season preceded the good one. Holmer did things the other way about though, and is sadly now some sort of hate-figure.

There are several examples of players that have ripped the 2nd Division to shreds, and then looked mediocre in the 1st. Remember last season "The Moff" was going to single handedly win the league for Ayr? Despite potentially writing himself into the Queens record books, no-one has Clark as their Player of the Year, some not even featuring him in their top 3. There are still several aspects of Clark's game that require work (his hold up play and first touch are poor) and he is yet to prove himself at a higher level than the 2nd Division.

It's very strange to feel this apathetic about a 40 goal a season striker. The East Fife game was probably a microcosm of his season, largely anonymous and then pops up with 2 goals! Age is on his side, and he will go into next season brimming with confidence, although that might soon disappear if he isn't featuring very regularly for The Rangers.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on his career with interest.

Would like Clark to stay but I think Reilly is just as good if not better than Clark if he is given the same chance that Clark had.

1st division will be harder but he should be a direct replacement.

Don't see this as a good move for Clark at the moment, still young not fully developed and if he does have 2 good seasons with the rangers then does any1 see him even getting a look in when there back in spl. Ano ppl won't agree but I hope he doesn't break pattersons record, as I would like the record to stay with a true legend.

Don't see this as a good move for Clark at the moment, still young not fully developed and if he does have 2 good seasons with the rangers then does any1 see him even getting a look in when there back in spl. Ano ppl won't agree but I hope he doesn't break pattersons record, as I would like the record to stay with a true legend.

Even if he doesnt get a game for them in the SPL, he'll have two seasons earning significantly more money than he could anywhere else and, if successful, will have had enough exposure to pretty much guarantee a move to another SPL or div 1 club, at worst. Im not sure what would be a better career move, to be honest.