The Queen of the South thread

I thought Gus called the keeper Michael.

Impressed with Gus tonight - always positive and trying to encourage the players to play football. He was pissed off with the Gretna no 8 and let the linesman know about it. After the fourth heavy challenge he shouted to McKenna to deal with him :lol: .

You's might get a wee surprise.

We got a bit of stick about the way we played football and were just hard to beat.But we actually played some decent football.The defence was priority, but he then built a decent attacking team.

He used 2 attacking full backs,3 attacking midfielders and obviously 2 up front.Our problem was we could dominate a team for 80 mins but not find that killer pass/touch in front of goal.

Gus isn't as negative as alot of people made out on here.Although the games against Billy Reid might put you off football for life.

Glad to see Brighton doing well, would love to see him get his career back on track.

We got a bit of stick about the way we played football and were just hard to beat.But we actually played some decent football.The defence was priority, but he then built a decent attacking team.

He used 2 attacking full backs,3 attacking midfielders and obviously 2 up front.Our problem was we could dominate a team for 80 mins but not find that killer pass/touch in front of goal.

Gus isn't as negative as alot of people made out on here.Although the games against Billy Reid might put you off football for life.

Glad to see Brighton doing well, would love to see him get his career back on track.

Tom Brighton had a decent game last night because he was playing at his true level, he is East of Scotland class at best.

Tom Brighton had a decent game last night because he was playing at his true level, he is East of Scotland class at best.

I'll have to take your word for it :P

I wonder if Gus is trying to sign his pal Dargo? He would be a great signing for any div1 team

He looked far fitter than he did playing for Stirling Albion last season, hopefully Gus will give him another chance.

I really do not want one of our striker options taken up by Tom Brighton. He has had too many chances at this level and failed to take them. I really hope Gus has other players in mind.

He has had 1 proper chance at this level and took that chance well, earning a move to Millwall. He then had an injury ravaged spell with St. Mirren in the SPL, then last year looked short of fitness with Stirling Albion with their dross squad.

So take your patter elsewhere.

We seem to be taking big risks then, signing players that have a history of injuries. :(

Big d Holmes pens a deal with the diamonds.

Play to his strengths and you've a real gem. Punt aimless balls in his general direction and expect him to chase them, you're wasting your time. Assuming he is over the injury that troubled him towards the end of last season he should easily manage 10+ goals for you and numerous assists.

Anyone following the twitter feed of the Q&A? Seems like QOS are looking for another Keeper, have offered McGuffie a deal and one to an un-named defender, who I assume is Harris. Interesting stuff though

Three attacking midfielders? When on earth did that happen :lol:

Anyway, as I've already said about Brighton, he hasn't done a pre-season for two years which was probably why he was pretty poor. Get him fit, keep him fit and he'll do a great job for you.

Anyone following the twitter feed of the Q&A? Seems like QOS are looking for another Keeper, have offered McGuffie a deal and one to an un-named defender, who I assume is Harris. Interesting stuff though

It actually never occurred to me to look there. I don't use Twitter. I knew the meeting was tonight and thought it was being covered by the website team so looked at the Live Updates on the OS. It wasn't there so I presumed I was mistaken about it being covered at all. :ph34r:

I've read it now. Hard to say without hearing what was actually said but my interpretation was that he said a contract had been offered to a defender and then, when pushed, confirmed it was McGuffie (which was an open secret anyway). I don't think he meant McGuffie AND another defender. Queens haven't made any offer to Harris so far as I know, other than that he's free to train with us as long as he wants. It's just been taken as a given that he's out of our reach now. He's been to Birmingham City and Blackpool on trial, albeit until he actually signs somewhere you can't rule anything out.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I was at the meeting and it was mentioned that another 6 trialists will be playing in a behind closed doors game which I think is tommorrow. He said all the trialists had sufficiently impressed against Gretna to be given further opportunities but given the quality of opposition would have to prove themselves against a better standard of opposition to win deals. He also said he is travelling down tommorow (I think to introduce a signing) so I guess that might be Chris Higgins being officially signed

Both Gus and Andy showed great passion and enthusiasm and even a little humour in the meeting and I feel the fans bought into what they said. One thing that concerned me was he didn't know the situation regarding last years u19s player contracts. Another negative was Andy Millen saying something along the lines of he would rather play a player who gave 100% in training from monday to friday than a wizzkid who shows great potential but may not be mentally ready.

It actually never occurred to me to look there. I don't use Twitter. I knew the meeting was tonight and thought it was being covered by the website team so looked at the Live Updates on the OS. It wasn't there so I presumed I was mistaken about it being covered at all. :ph34r:

When was it not there? It was on the Live Updates on the site from the start, as well as twitter and facebook

I've read it now. Hard to say without hearing what was actually said but my interpretation was that he said a contract had been offered to a defender and then, when pushed, confirmed it was McGuffie (which was an open secret anyway). I don't think he meant McGuffie AND another defender. Queens haven't made any offer to Harris so far as I know, other than that he's free to train with us as long as he wants. It's just been taken as a given that he's out of our reach now. He's been to Birmingham City and Blackpool on trial, albeit until he actually signs somewhere you can't rule anything out.

Pretty much this, although he wasnt "pushed" into naming McGuffie, but he is the defender whos been offered a contract.

I was at the meeting and it was mentioned that another 6 trialists will be playing in a behind closed doors game which I think is tommorrow. He said all the trialists had sufficiently impressed against Gretna to be given further opportunities but given the quality of opposition would have to prove themselves against a better standard of opposition to win deals. He also said he is travelling down tommorow (I think to introduce a signing) so I guess that might be Chris Higgins being officially signed

Im not sure I would jump to that conclusion. He did say it was "to do with a player" but that could just be to sign paperwork or something like that. Not saying it isnt to announce the signing, of course.

Both Gus and Andy showed great passion and enthusiasm and even a little humour in the meeting and I feel the fans bought into what they said. One thing that concerned me was he didn't know the situation regarding last years u19s player contracts. Another negative was Andy Millen saying something along the lines of he would rather play a player who gave 100% in training from monday to friday than a wizzkid who shows great potential but may not be mentally ready.

The situation with the U19s is an administrative "technicality" thats being dealt with. I dont think its surprising at all that he doesnt know the details of it.

Im not sure how you took what Andy said as a negative. He also talked, at length, about how damaging putting a kid in, whos not mentally ready, can be and how, any kid, no matter how good has to earn the right to a place and has to be good enough, mentally and physically as well as technically. I thought what he said made perfect sense. To be honest, what they both said about the young players was pretty much exactly what KB said - Gus and Andy just phrased it better.

All in all, a really good night. Some good questions, some good answers and a very positive meeting. Just, whatever you do, dont name mention the trialists. I did once, but I think I got away with it :lol:

Edited by Mr X

When was it not there? It was on the Live Updates on the site from the start, as well as twitter and facebook

It wasn't on my laptop. Mind you what was on there was my Live Updates of the Stirling Albion away game back in March so I've no idea what was going on there! I tried refreshing several times but it never changed. I never had the desktop on last night, it was maybe fine on there.

The main site itself was up to date with yesterday's "news" but when I took the menu option for Live Updates it went to my stuff from that midweek game in March. So whilst I didn't read the Q&A until later on Twitter, I can tell you that Danny Carmichael got booked in the last minute of injury time in that game for dissent! :lol:

Edited by Skyline Drifter

It wasn't on my laptop. Mind you what was on there was my Live Updates of the Stirling Albion away game back in March so I've no idea what was going on there! I tried refreshing several times but it never changed. I never had the desktop on last night, it was maybe fine on there.

The main site itself was up to date with yesterday's "news" but when I took the menu option for Live Updates it went to my stuff from that midweek game in March. So whilst I didn't read the Q&A until later on facebook, I can tell you that Danny Carmichael got booked in the last minute of injury time in that game for dissent! :lol:

I wash my hands and take no responsibility for any of this! Definitely something screwy on your laptop :lol: