The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, DoonhamerDon said:

This killed some time for me over the weekend. 1 player from each of the last eleven years to form a best XI. You only get the player from that particular year though so no picking based on what they went on to do. Picking a player from each year is simple enough but trying to shape it into an actual team more challenging.   

Zander Clark (2013/14)

Andy Dowie (2014/15) 

Jason Kerr (2017/18) 

Stephen Hendrie (2022/23)

Isaiah Jones (2020/21)

Kyle Jacobs (2016/17)

Michael Paton (2012/13)

Faissal El Bakhtaoui (2019/20)

Lee Connelly (2021/22)

Derek Lyle (2015/16) 

Stephen Dobbie (2018/19)

Edited by MazzyStar

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They're a separate entity, affiliated to the club and permitted to use the name and some of the facilities (they use Palmerston for some games I think). There are various co-operations and tie ups, including the Macron kit, but not currently "part" of the club, no.

Thanks.

55 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

https://www.clydefc.co.uk/news/2023/05/rico-undergoes-surgery/

^ Update on Quitongo's injury.  A nice touch from Wullie Gibson too. ^

There hasn't been any official announcement, but I'm assuming Quitongo has now left Queens?

Cheers for posting that ... a bit of class there from Rico and the Clyde website.  Good luck going forwards Rico.

Edited by Otis Blue
Couldnae spell btw ...

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Who do you think is this mysterious major investor that you speak of? I doubt if its any Board member. Are you Annan's version of Queens poster Greenacres who knows every other  Clubs' financial details. 

Ok I’ll leave you with this. Skyline is the numbers man but 1+1 still makes 2

Income from gate receipts and SFA in no way covered QOS running costs ? 

Now something that could have been a bit banter over the long break doesn’t look like that. 

25 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Now something that could have been a bit banter over the long break doesn’t look like that. 

There are other income streams from the arena premises/pitches as well.

15 minutes ago, FrankReynolds said:

It’s a good job we’ve got you and your math degree on here or we’d have all forgotten 1+1 still equals 2. 

Christ I’m from Annan ill help you boys in anyway i can 

59 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Queens with the income we have should not really be full time we have huge six figures losses every season.

We could really do with this investor to pump some money in .On that did someone down Annan way not win the lottery and give them money to build a new stand.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm all for it being a slower process this close season. Mind WG had his squad almost completed pretty quickly last season and we know how that worked out. I'd rather MB takes his time and gets it right. 

Noticed he said he's scouting the north of England for a few players so there could be a few unknowns coming in potentially. 

Very much agree with this.  Better perhaps that MB takes time to assess the available options and get the recruitment right.  Last season the recruitment seemed to consist of a random and scatter gunned approach.  The squad was also assembled relatively quickly.  We all know how that turned out.

In scouting the North of England there may well be a few unknowns joining up.  In the same way that these players are unknown to us they may also be relatively unknown to our opponents.  The unknown quantity factor may yet catch a few teams cold. 

59 minutes ago, Katboy said:

Very much agree with this.  Better perhaps that MB takes time to assess the available options and get the recruitment right.  Last season the recruitment seemed to consist of a random and scatter gunned approach.  The squad was also assembled relatively quickly.  We all know how that turned out.

In scouting the North of England there may well be a few unknowns joining up.  In the same way that these players are unknown to us they may also be relatively unknown to our opponents.  The unknown quantity factor may yet catch a few teams cold. 

I don't know if you watched the interview but you've touched on something MB spoke about. He has targets/demands for certain positions and he'll only bring in players that meet the criteria. I like the idea of this approach rather than the scatter gun approach you mention (and what WG essentially did). Our side wasn't very balanced last season (understatement) so I'm hoping MB does a better job of that. 

3 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Don't know anything about McPake, whether he's any good or not, but a quick peek on the internet (yes, I know ...) flags up stories about repeated "off-field issues" which led R*ng*rs to consider terminating his contract earlier this year. No doubt Marvin will be aware of such things but if there's any truth in this rumour then presumably Marvin thinks there's still a talent there that he can guide and develop. Be interesting to hear views on McPake from other clubs who've had him on loan.

8 minutes ago, rubber_duck said:

North of England scouting? Fills me with excitement and dread in equal measure.  Some of Connolly’s signings? *shudder* There was some quality though. Hopefully MB unearths a few diamonds.

Yes Connolly initially underestimated the standard required and some of his signings were well below the level needed.

As you suggest some very good signings from the North of England too such as Peter Weatherson, Steve Bowey and Paddy Atkinson.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm all for it being a slower process this close season. Mind WG had his squad almost completed pretty quickly last season and we know how that worked out. I'd rather MB takes his time and gets it right. 

Noticed he said he's scouting the north of England for a few players so there could be a few unknowns coming in potentially. 

Where's he said he's scouting the North of England as a matter of interest?