The Queen of the South thread

30 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Happy enough with this.  McKechnie has come on a lot since MB took charge.  Playing on a regular basis has undoubtedly helped, I think that we could yet see further improvement here.  Botterill while inexperienced has shown that he is capable of playing at this level.  As is to be expected there are rough edges in his game.  However, good coaching and regular game time should soon iron these out.

Content with both. McKechine for me still has some way to go but you can see the potential or we were beginning to see it, thought Botteril looked fine the times he was called upon. Decent enough start

I’ve only seen Botterill a couple of times. Against Clyde, I wasn’t convinced. At Kelty, he had a decent game though. Trust Bartley’s judgement but id like to see somebody else come in to properly challenge for the number 1 jersey. 

McKechnie has improved this season, but he needs to improve his end product. Not enough goals and assists. 

Happy with the Johnson signing.  Hibs obviously rate him highly given that they have tied him to a long term deal.  He had a short term deal with Airdrie last season, and by all accounts done well there.  Hopefully this move will prove beneficial to all parties.  Good to see our manager is not wasting any time.

Murray Johnson that's an impressive signing, you have yourself a cracking young keeper there. For his age he's very impressive, made one of the best saves I've seen at a football game last season against Alloa and won our player of the month award. If any of your other signings are at that level you'll be up there challenging next season 👏

Edited by David Fernández

Good positive start from Marvin.  Looks like he's got the keepers well covered (big Kevin D's obviously not coming back) and given the 2 year deal and how often he's played him it's pretty obvious that Marvin likes what he sees in young McKechnie and thinks there's a player there that he can develop.

I think I'm going to enjoy watching this pre-season develop!

That may well be the best signing Queens make for next season. For his age he was fantastic in the five games he played at the start of the season, making numerous great saves. His only obvious weaknesses were kicking, which can improve, and having absolutely no clue how to deal with a long throw, and he probably hadn’t faced many of them at youth level. I think he’s got a very high ceiling and rate him higher than Dabrowski. I fancy Queens to do well next year, I just hope we’re not around to see it!

35 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Murray Johnson that's an impressive signing, you have yourself a cracking young keeper there. For his age he's very impressive, made one of the best saves I've seen at a football game last season against Alloa and won our player of the month award. If any of your other signings are at that level you'll be up there challenging next season 👏

Oddly enough big Kev (our loan GK from Hibs) made one of the best saves I've ever seen 'live', against Alloa as well this season. 

I think that confirms Kev is away, sadly. Wish him all the best. But this lad seems highly rated so I'm pleased enough with that. 

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

Happy with the Johnson signing judging by the reviews from Airdrie fans during his spell there.

Not sure where this leaves Cowie though.  

Surely available to get a league club on loan if he chooses to sign. Come back next year hopefully ready to go 

43 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Exclusive New pitch has been installed.

IMG_20230517_204118.jpg

Quality pitch there tbf @Swarley👍

However, as others have said already, it's the sub-surface layer that's key - judging from the photo, think your pitch might be a bit on the bobbly side.

PS - I think they used to recommend that those pitches be smoothed out using a warm (not hot) iron.

Edited by Otis Blue