The Queen of the South thread

Won't be missing any of those released - but slightly suprised it isnt a bit longer. Assume Quitongo will be told he's gone once Clyde's play-offs are finished.

I'm assuming all those not contracted but not on those list we are offering terms to of some degree. Hopefully at a lower level in some cases which will probably lead to more departures over the summer. 

I know nothing of the budget or what clubs pay players (can always ask Greenacres though 😀) but recruitment and spreading our budget appropriately across a group of Key Players, Good squad players and backups/reserves is something Gibson got very wrong.

Happy to retain some more of last season's squad if on terms that allow us to pay a bit more for the higher quality ones. Its that 'can I get equal or better quality for the money being paid' question and in some cases its just a no  

Don't envy Bartley with the job and its a massive summer of recruitment to get that balance right, but I have faith.  

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

Surprised McGrory and Connelly aren’t on the list to be honest

Or McMahon and Irving!

It's telling that every single player on the list was signed by Gibson.  In fact I think that is half of last summer's signings gone, leaving only Hendrie, Irving, Wilson, Quitongo* & Reilly* at the club.

* and there's no saying how long that pair will remain for.

On 15/04/2023 at 18:53, 19QOS19 said:

Chuck 

McKay

Quitongo

Reilly

Murray 

Ruth

McKenna

Morrison

Irving

McMahon

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Dave McKay, Ciaran McKenna, Stuart Morrison, Connor Murray, Michael Ruth all released. Those out on loan and still playing have yet to be spoken to. 

http://www.qosfc.com/news-6077

Had a look back at my list and it's almost a perfect start for me. 5 of my 9 gone in one hit. I expect Quitongo is a certainty as well and will be surprised if Reilly isn't another. 

Haven't seen anything from Irving and McMahon to suggest they'll make it at first team level but I expect they're on peanuts and may well be offered another year. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Had a look back at my list and it's almost a perfect start for me. 5 of my 9 gone in one hit. I expect Quitongo is a certainty as well and will be surprised if Reilly isn't another. 

Haven't seen anything from Irving and McMahon to suggest they'll make it at first team level but I expect they're on peanuts and may well be offered another year. 

Irving prob stays as a bench filler on the cheap, McMahon rumoured Annan bound. Guess a few other have prob been offered deals prob low wages and if they do go elsewhere QoS will get a little compo... 

58 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Irving prob stays as a bench filler on the cheap, McMahon rumoured Annan bound. Guess a few other have prob been offered deals prob low wages and if they do go elsewhere QoS will get a little compo... 

If offered lower wages then no compo at all.  Has to be a higher contract offer to entitle club to compensation. Especially with Cochrane and possibly East having interest. 

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I still reckon Dom McMahon will come good if given a run of games.

20 minutes ago, evh78 said:

I still reckon Dom McMahon will come good if given a run of games.

I'd love that to happen but I can't see it tbh. I think he's a player who looks busy but doesn't have much end product. At 21 I think he should really be looking to play regular football now whether that's with us or someone else. 

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'd love that to happen but I can't see it tbh. I think he's a player who looks busy but doesn't have much end product. At 21 I think he should really be looking to play regular football now whether that's with us or someone else. 

Agree, I’ve never watched a game and thought he stood out unfortunately. Wee Ryan Muir has, and for me has done alright more often than not when giving opportunity. 

It will be interesting to see what MB wants to do with the more promising reserve players, watched a couple of games and thought Finlay Kennedy stuck out, Lewis Currie obviously impressed to get in match day squads. Both still relatively young. But important they get game time at a decent level next season.

54 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Agree, I’ve never watched a game and thought he stood out unfortunately. Wee Ryan Muir has, and for me has done alright more often than not when giving opportunity. 

It will be interesting to see what MB wants to do with the more promising reserve players, watched a couple of games and thought Finlay Kennedy stuck out, Lewis Currie obviously impressed to get in match day squads. Both still relatively young. But important they get game time at a decent level next season.

Aye if it was a choice I'd take Muir over McMahon every time. The reserves (well some of them at least) were in yesterday for contract talks. One of the ones you mention has been given a contract, not sure about the other. I can't recall much of Currie tbh but then none of the defenders really stood out for me in all honesty. If Kennedy is who I think he is he's certainly come on since I first saw him. Seems to be used anywhere and has always done a decent job. 

Obviously it's a massive step up though. Hopefully the reserves that get signed this year are able to push for some first team action - at the same time I hope we have an 11 good enough to keep players out of the lineup each week. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye if it was a choice I'd take Muir over McMahon every time. The reserves (well some of them at least) were in yesterday for contract talks. One of the ones you mention has been given a contract, not sure about the other. I can't recall much of Currie tbh but then none of the defenders really stood out for me in all honesty. If Kennedy is who I think he is he's certainly come on since I first saw him. Seems to be used anywhere and has always done a decent job. 

Obviously it's a massive step up though. Hopefully the reserves that get signed this year are able to push for some first team action - at the same time I hope we have an 11 good enough to keep players out of the lineup each week. 

Finlay started as a midfielder but moved to full back as season progressed, was one of the ok performers v hibs at left back. But think he’s also been used at centre mid. 

4 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Finlay started as a midfielder but moved to full back as season progressed, was one of the ok performers v hibs at left back. But think he’s also been used at centre mid. 

Aye must be him. I'm positive he played up front at one point last season as well. 

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye must be him. I'm positive he played up front at one point last season as well. 

He's been playing central midfield for Lochar. 

I think he's going off to Uni though. He's still at school at the moment, not a full time player.

Saw that picture of Paton on the Queens twitter feed and thought he must have re-signed!

Oh well...

Doesn't look like either of the two new signings that Marv had been hoping to announce this week have come to fruition yet.

Oh well...

Edited by Slipmat