The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Quite glad it never went through tbh. He was a very good player but given his carry on at Arbroath and his desire to move closer to home, I doubt we'd have got the season out him anyway. 

He also said Kelty offered him an extra £100 a week than what we did. Easy choice then I suppose.

On 15/03/2023 at 13:33, 19QOS19 said:

I'll ask you again - why do you care? 

I first went to Palmerston with my PaPa on the Eastriggs supporters bus circa 1970. I want QOS to thrive as Annan, Carlisle. ( any good for you ? )

8 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

He also said Kelty offered him an extra £100 a week than what we did. Easy choice then I suppose.

Aye, no brainer. 

3 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

I first went to Palmerston with my PaPa on the Eastriggs supporters bus circa 1970. I want QOS to thrive as Annan, Carlisle. ( any good for you ? )

Bizarre you've only just started posting in our thread then and to have a go at the new manager no less. Can't mind you posting when AJ and WG were stinking out the place. 

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

Yep, that’s the Dobbie testimonial postponed for a later date.

Disappointed to say the least that it's not going ahead as planned. I had friends coming back and going to attend. Shame Q&A cannot go ahead on the saturday night.

How will they find a later date once next season fixture dates are known? Don't the old firm play most sunday's so that would rule out sunday's as a possibility, meaning thursday afternoons may be own available option but don't old firm under18's play then.

Not everyone is old firm fans and I haven't watched an old firm match for about 20 years

11 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Again I have read the post you reply to and can see no reference or derogatory statements that could in any way be described as Xenophobic. What was said could be levelled at any coach from any background. Maybe try not reading things into situations that don't exist. 

Hey Ho don’t agree but that’s part of the joy of debate on this website. 

11 hours ago, Slipmat said:

He has said on more than one occasion that the squad is far too big for his liking so I would expect that, after a couple of months working with the current gang, he has identified most of the areas which he wants to clear out and recruit for.  His problem is where he is going to find the new recruits from.  For example he has already stated that we are woefully short of wingers, and although the board offered to cover the cost of bringing a winger in on loan in February he declined, partly because of his reluctance to add yet another body to an already bulging squad but possibly he also felt that there were no suitable candidates available to bring in.

We're counting the cost of Gibson signing players of dubious merit, and then signing more players of dubious merit in an attempt to cover up his initial botched recruitment.  McKenna and Currie looked like being and proved to be disastrous signings from day one (and don't forget shortly after signing Currie he tried to entice Josh Rae back, a player who he had previously thought he didn't need).  Quitongo was no left-sided Cafu but aside from his positioning wasn't that bad, but Wullie still ended up signing another LB in Hendrie because he obviously didn't rate Quitongo.  Reilly proved to be a flop - and I take no pleasure in predicting he would be - but the back up signings he made, Ruth, the seemingly panic-bought Irving obviously aren't much better so he then wasted a loan on the equally inept Bange.

I'm hoping Bartley will operate with a squad of no more than 22/23 next season, which should hopefully allow the club to spread the wage bidget among far fewer players and entice players who aren't at the bottom of the barrel in the professional game.  Trouble is, we aren't exactly an attractive proposition for players who aren't in the last chance saloon in terms of playing football full-time as we look a long way from being a club capable of stopping the rot.

Excellent analysis. I think you nailed it. Quality not quantity next year drawn from a better pool through his superior connections. 

17 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

MB is a chap who hails from a different country and location to that of most prototypical managers in this league. Hence my comment. 

Nah, that's not good enough.

That's a question of you projecting a reading of things onto a poster who displayed no evidence whatever, of the sentiment you've attributed to him.  You should withdraw it.

On Bartley, the jury has to remain out for now I suppose.  I had hoped for more of an upturn than we've seen, but I don't think it can be held too much against him that it's not materialised.  That's due to all the well rehearsed arguments about his inheritance.

18 hours ago, Slipmat said:

He has said on more than one occasion that the squad is far too big for his liking so I would expect that, after a couple of months working with the current gang, he has identified most of the areas which he wants to clear out and recruit for.  His problem is where he is going to find the new recruits from.  For example he has already stated that we are woefully short of wingers, and although the board offered to cover the cost of bringing a winger in on loan in February he declined, partly because of his reluctance to add yet another body to an already bulging squad but possibly he also felt that there were no suitable candidates available to bring in.

We're counting the cost of Gibson signing players of dubious merit, and then signing more players of dubious merit in an attempt to cover up his initial botched recruitment.  McKenna and Currie looked like being and proved to be disastrous signings from day one (and don't forget shortly after signing Currie he tried to entice Josh Rae back, a player who he had previously thought he didn't need).  Quitongo was no left-sided Cafu but aside from his positioning wasn't that bad, but Wullie still ended up signing another LB in Hendrie because he obviously didn't rate Quitongo.  Reilly proved to be a flop - and I take no pleasure in predicting he would be - but the back up signings he made, Ruth, the seemingly panic-bought Irving obviously aren't much better so he then wasted a loan on the equally inept Bange.

I'm hoping Bartley will operate with a squad of no more than 22/23 next season, which should hopefully allow the club to spread the wage bidget among far fewer players and entice players who aren't at the bottom of the barrel in the professional game.  Trouble is, we aren't exactly an attractive proposition for players who aren't in the last chance saloon in terms of playing football full-time as we look a long way from being a club capable of stopping the rot.

Great summary of the problems we've been facing - didn't Wullie literally say his plan was to go for quality over quantity? Seem it was just his initial idea of quality was totally off so paniced and went with numbers.

Super frustrating to write off yet another season - I thought we had a chance if MB hit the ground running but apparent the club needs a bigger overhaul than just a new GK and CB. 

Easy to say run with a smaller squad and increase per person budget to attract quality - I also hope we go down this route - but your last sentence is the big worry for me. 

15 minutes ago, DoonhamerDon said:

... Easy to say run with a smaller squad and increase per person budget to attract quality - I also hope we go down this route - but your last sentence is the big worry for me.

Yep, this was the big risk we faced in being relegated from the Championship and then struggling in our first season down in L1 - we became a much less attractive prospect to most FT players.  We have to hope that Marvin can do a good "sales job" when recruiting and convince players to join his "project" - but lets be honest, the real decision maker for most players will be the wage they get and you can't blame them.  So quality over quantity will be key such that we can offer the best wages we can within our budget.

20 minutes ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Great summary of the problems we've been facing - didn't Wullie literally say his plan was to go for quality over quantity? Seem it was just his initial idea of quality was totally off so paniced and went with numbers.

Super frustrating to write off yet another season - I thought we had a chance if MB hit the ground running but apparent the club needs a bigger overhaul than just a new GK and CB. 

Easy to say run with a smaller squad and increase per person budget to attract quality - I also hope we go down this route - but your last sentence is the big worry for me. 

I'd be happy doing this as well and relying on young players like Muir, Mendy, Cowie etc to make up the numbers, rather than a squad of 25 senior (and shite) players.

20 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Trouble is, we aren't exactly an attractive proposition for players who aren't in the last chance saloon in terms of playing football full-time as we look a long way from being a club capable of stopping the rot.

1 hour ago, DoonhamerDon said:

...but your last sentence is the big worry for me. 

Tbf, I don't think we're any less of a prospect for players. The reality is we're always going to be a feeder club until a sugar daddy comes in. If Paton gets a move away you have to imagine Bartley will lead with that when trying to entice players in - 'Look, this boy was top goalscorer in the division (possibly) in a rank rotten side and clubs were keen to take him higher. Put yourself in the shop window with us'. Similarly with Gibson this or next season. The big draw could be players coming in to a side who should be looking for promotion. Easier to be noticed in a side going for promotion regardless of what division. 

Our focus needs to be on youth prospects and being a gateway into FT football from lower divisions like Paton has been or will be once he moves on. Players with a higher ceiling in their career than League 1. 

It's not easy and takes a skilled recruitment team and a good eye for a player's potential but just competing for the same job lot of journeyman FT players as everyone else, but often paying the lowest, will/has been getting us nowhere.  

12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Tbf, I don't think we're any less of a prospect for players. The reality is we're always going to be a feeder club until a sugar daddy comes in. If Paton gets a move away you have to imagine Bartley will lead with that when trying to entice players in - 'Look, this boy was top goalscorer in the division (possibly) in a rank rotten side and clubs were keen to take him higher. Put yourself in the shop window with us'. Similarly with Gibson this or next season. The big draw could be players coming in to a side who should be looking for promotion. Easier to be noticed in a side going for promotion regardless of what division. 

Missed your reply but agree Paton is the exact example we should be looking to replicate. Your point on standing out in a side going for promoton is valid - hopefully MB can convince prospects that is what we will be doing next season!

My concern is he joined us after a season finishing 6th in the Championship - in the same scenario would he be looking to join us this summer after likely finishing 7th or 8th in League One? 

Ayr, Morton, Thistle and Falkirk certainly look more attractive prospects for FT football now then they did that summer.

55 minutes ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Missed your reply but agree Paton is the exact example we should be looking to replicate. Your point on standing out in a side going for promoton is valid - hopefully MB can convince prospects that is what we will be doing next season!

My concern is he joined us after a season finishing 6th in the Championship - in the same scenario would he be looking to join us this summer after likely finishing 7th or 8th in League One? 

Ayr, Morton, Thistle and Falkirk certainly look more attractive prospects for FT football now then they did that summer.

We've been the least attractive FT side for a while now tbh. The only difference being the division we're playing in. But it might be a draw for players to be in a FT side going for promotion rather than a FT side trying to avoid relegation. 

14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Nah, that's not good enough.

That's a question of you projecting a reading of things onto a poster who displayed no evidence whatever, of the sentiment you've attributed to him.  You should withdraw it.

On Bartley, the jury has to remain out for now I suppose.  I had hoped for more of an upturn than we've seen, but I don't think it can be held too much against him that it's not materialised.  That's due to all the well rehearsed arguments about his inheritance.

Sorry but I don’t agree. 

19 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Sorry but I don’t agree. 

The initial post you responded to was well laid out and perfectly reasonable criticism. There was absolutely zero justification for throwing round a very weighty accusation.

You can’t just accuse people of xenophobia with no justification, it’s really poor stuff from you. 

On 16/03/2023 at 11:56, HighlandQueen said:

MB is a chap who hails from a different country and location to that of most prototypical managers in this league. Hence my comment. We are lucky to have such an intelligent guy in charge. I keep saying give him a chance to get his own people in then judge him. I know it’s frustrating but we are where we are. I personally think it will prove a good move rather than a Yogi Hughes or Jim McIntyre style appointment. 

:lol:

So because someone doesn't rate your manager it must be xenophobia? f**k sake.