The Queen of the South thread

21 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

How did Botterill look in the Clyde game?

Shakey. He must be about 6 and a half foot and looks a commanding presence, but he dropped a couple after coming out to collect and we were fortunate Clyde didn’t score from at least one of his fumbles. 

Distribution was decent and at no fault for the goal. I’d feel much more assured with Dabrowski back. 

5 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

Shakey. He must be about 6 and a half foot and looks a commanding presence, but he dropped a couple after coming out to collect and we were fortunate Clyde didn’t score from at least one of his fumbles. 

Distribution was decent and at no fault for the goal. I’d feel much more assured with Dabrowski back. 

It was his first game in professional football so got to give him a bit of slack. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s our Number 1 for next season

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

It was his first game in professional football so got to give him a bit of slack. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s our Number 1 for next season

Yep don’t disagree with that, and was surprised at that given he’s 25. Bartley spoke pretty highly of him in his post match interview, and sounds like he rates him so wouldn’t be surprised to see him here next season. 

6 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Anybody know how many tickets we have sold (or expected to) for Dobbie’s testimonial?

Let’s hope the Celtic v Rangers Scottish Cup semifinal isn’t scheduled for the same day or it could have an effect on the attendance. 

I would also like to see some tickets available from the club shop rather than only online or on match day. 

1 hour ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Let’s hope the Celtic v Rangers Scottish Cup semifinal isn’t scheduled for the same day or it could have an effect on the attendance. 

I would also like to see some tickets available from the club shop rather than only online or on match day. 

Hopefully the Glasgow Kilt walk on the Sunday will force the game to go ahead on the Saturday. Lots of road closures and police will be deployed to the walk. Wouldn't think they would want an Old Firm game on the same day. 

6 hours ago, F.T.I.D said:

Can anyone recommend a decent pub near Palmerston? Looking to bring a bus load in on Saturday. When we were down earlier in the season we were in the globe.

Not sure if the salutation has reopened or not? 

Aye that area is fine. You have the Dev further up as well (same street) and the Spread round the corner. I wasn't aware the Sally was shut tbh. You can't go wrong at Market Square. 

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'll ask you again - why do you care? 

Think he has got a point to be fair. You seem to have so much in Bartley because WG bought loads of poor players. So will you stil be as supportive if he starts signing players from Dumbarton, Kelty Hearts and Edinburgh to help us back to championship next season. 

33 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Think he has got a point to be fair. You seem to have so much in Bartley because WG bought loads of poor players. So will you stil be as supportive if he starts signing players from Dumbarton, Kelty Hearts and Edinburgh to help us back to championship next season. 

If he signs a bunch of dross and we are this shit again next season then of course Bartley will rightly be criticised. Until then though, he is working with probably the worst collection of full time footballers ever assembled in this country and he isn’t responsible for that…. WG is.

13 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

If he signs a bunch of dross and we are this shit again next season then of course Bartley will rightly be criticised. Until then though, he is working with probably the worst collection of full time footballers ever assembled in this country and he isn’t responsible for that…. WG is.

So Dougie is he filling you with confidence so far in his approach to our club and how the team are performing?

57 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

He's an Annan fan (apparently). I'm asking why he seems so bothered. I don't think the guy posted as much in the match thread at the start of the season. 

7 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

So Dougie is he filling you with confidence so far in his approach to our club and how the team are performing?

If you're continuing with this I'll bring it up again. You yourself have said you would keep maybe 2 or 3 of this dross and yet you're getting frustrated with MB not getting a tune from them? If you think they're so shite how on earth can you think MB is doing a bad job with them? 

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He's an Annan fan (apparently). I'm asking why he seems so bothered. I don't think the guy posted as much in the match thread at the start of the season. 

If you're continuing with this I'll bring it up again. You yourself have said you would keep maybe 2 or 3 of this dross and yet you're getting frustrated with MB not getting a tune from them? If you think they're so shite how on earth can you think MB is doing a bad job with them? 

A good coach/manager can set up a team to get the best out of them.  You asked who I think Bartley would keep and going by his team selections that why I said those players and others I would keep as think they could improve. So when Bartley got the gig you categorically expected us not to improve at all poorer performances even if you say better PPG than WG but to be honest not a high bar. He started of playing Ruth in his first few games then pulled him off after 30 mins against Hamilton never to be seen again. Great man management that of a young boy. Wilson ridiculed him saying he was not die after bringing him on a week earlier against Kelty then leaving him out of squad the following week. Again great man management. Which we thought Bartley was bringing as he talked such a good game. He even said at the start of his tenure. That he has to get a team on the park anda formation that brings out the best in these players. Yet to see it. Then he plays more or less the same team for 5 games including the 👻 including 3 losses and a draw on Saturday. That's why I have my doubts plus his attitude is to blame everyone else but himself. 

3 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

A good coach/manager can set up a team to get the best out of them.  You asked who I think Bartley would keep and going by his team selections that why I said those players and others I would keep as think they could improve. So when Bartley got the gig you categorically expected us not to improve at all poorer performances even if you say better PPG than WG but to be honest not a high bar. He started of playing Ruth in his first few games then pulled him off after 30 mins against Hamilton never to be seen again. Great man management that of a young boy. Wilson ridiculed him saying he was not die after bringing him on a week earlier against Kelty then leaving him out of squad the following week. Again great man management. Which we thought Bartley was bringing as he talked such a good game. He even said at the start of his tenure. That he has to get a team on the park anda formation that brings out the best in these players. Yet to see it. Then he plays more or less the same team for 5 games including the 👻 including 3 losses and a draw on Saturday. That's why I have my doubts plus his attitude is to blame everyone else but himself. 

I'd argue Bartley is getting the best out of them. As Dougie said, this is about the worst group of FT footballers you're likely to see. No I absolutely did not ask you who you thought Bartley would keep, I asked who you'd keep. You named about 3 players and yet you still think we have a squad there that can get better? Can you not see the contradiction there? 

No I didn't expect us to improve. If you can be bothered trolling through the thread you'll see at no point did I call for WGs head and the reason being that the season was done. I said to give him until the end of the season and then get a new man in then. Why waste money sacking WG to bring someone in who won't be able to turn them around anyway? And again, lets face it, the BoD would have likely done exactly that had WG not got himself into bother. 

So he binned a shite Michael Ruth and it's bad man management and yet you're wanting him to do exactly that to Connor Murray? You can't use both as a rod to beat him with. McKechnie has had some of his best performances for us and Cochrane is a different player; nothing to do with MB?  He also got rid of Currie, Quitongo and McKenna (basically), 2 of which the fans in general were slating all season but he doesn't get credit for that? Dabroski is a massive improvement on Currie and Brydon has looked better every time I've seen him. Yet we continue to be shite: does that not suggest that the majority need to go?  

I don't think he has been blaming everyone but himself. I've found myself agreeing with every one of his post match interviews so far. What do you think he should be doing differently with the side? 

I think that Bartley's demeanour in his most recent PM interview suggests that he himself knows that this season has gone down the pan, so one thing I would like to see him doing is giving some of the young guys who sit on, but never get off, the bench each week some game-time ahead of those who I'm guessing he has already decided he will be binning in the summer.  Try McMahon instead of Murray, give Muir some pitch time in the first team.  Maybe even recall Mendy from his loan (I assume we can) and give him some minutes to see how he handles first team responsibility... he seems to be as good a prospect as Irving, for example.

I also wouldn't be averse to trying some different formations as at the moment while we seem to be more compact, we are seeing Paton more isolated and as a team we're struggling to score as regularly as we were earlier in the season.  Who knows, we may even discover that a player proves more adept in a new role than that to which he has been deployed in to date - a sort of Euan East attacker to defender scenario. 

There's nothing to lose, the season is gone, so let's use the remaining games to see what we can take into next season.  We're not getting into the play-offs and we're not going down, so we might as well experiment.

Edited by Slipmat

I don't want him to do the same to Murray everyone apart from him can see he is not a player we need on our team. I agree for rid of our main weaknesses and brought supposedly better replacement but still the same. I think he should be making us hard to beat. Set us up in a way that we are not bombing forward all the time and leaving spaces all over our already fractured back line. Keep it tight scrape a wee 1-0 win. Do you honestly think with our budget next year we are going attract  level of players who will have is challenging.